Author Topic: Super 8 50x, getting more power from a dead stop?  (Read 861 times)

VaderScoots

• View Profile
Super 8 50x, getting more power from a dead stop?
« on: June 13, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »
My Super 8 50x is past the "break in" stage and I disconnected one of the CDI cables to free up a little more top end speed, but I was just curious if there were any simple tricks to gain a little more oomph off the line at a dead stop. It's pretty sluggish to gain speed until it hits about 23mph or so and then it will climb to 31/32mph pretty quickly. I did the whole break in process according to the Kymco manual so the engine would break in better all around, but it still drives me nuts that it's so slow to start. Are there any quick tips/tricks to get more starting speed without modding the engine out a ton, or is this just the nature of the beast?

mclark999

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 50x, getting more power from a dead stop?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 04:44:20 PM »
You can put in lighter rollers on your variator. Fairly cheap and pretty easy.

I did that on my wife's Metropolitan and it made a noticeable improvement. Nothing like adding a performance exhaust to a two stroke scooter, but you don't have that option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

VaderScoots

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 50x, getting more power from a dead stop?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 11:42:25 PM »
You can put in lighter rollers on your variator. Fairly cheap and pretty easy.

I did that on my wife's Metropolitan and it made a noticeable improvement. Nothing like adding a performance exhaust to a two stroke scooter, but you don't have that option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks for the suggestion! I don't want to do too much to it because police around here are very strict on the moped going no faster than 30mph law. So I need to be careful, but just want a little more oomph

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()