Author Topic: New Member / Previous Like Owner - Looking for help this time!  (Read 2835 times)

scootnhoot

• View Profile
As the title states, i'm upgrading from a 2014 Kymco Like, which i've currently got for sale (also considered doing a trade w/ the same dealer-not sure which would be better). When I originally bought the bike, it was primarily because it was a bike size that my wife was willing to get on, but alas, she's hasn't ridden with me once, LOL. I love the like & all its peppiness. But, the seat is just so gosh darn uncomfortable. Kymco, I swear, if you would've invested in a Vespa like seat, you would've had yourself a winner here! I'm also a bit big for the bike i'm now realizing, i'm just about 6'1", pretty light n skinny though - 160 lbs, my knees are very close to hitting the storage compartment, and I feel EVERY single bump in my back.

I'm really considering the Kymco Xciting, but wanted to come here for advice first because I felt like an idiot after buying the Like, it just doesn't suite my needs. The other weekend I was excited to go out and take a trip (kind of in the country), but alas I held quite a bit of traffic up on a one lane road, even going wide open throttle for too long. Even with Kymco's military deal right now for an extra $500 off 5,999 doesn't sound bad. My dealership also has a 2009 model for sale for $2999 (not sure of the mileage though).

I love the styling of the Xciting much more than say a Honda Silver Wing, just looks sharper IMHO.

Would I be suited well with an Xciting? Or am I going to want more? Or less?   :-\

My commute is roughly 18-19 minutes to work in heavy city traffic sometimes, but it'd be nice to go for a ride in the country once in awhile. A few friends have suggested even staying away from scooters and even considering a cruiser at this point. The scooter just seems more economical, more utility use, and a smarter decision (i may be wrong).

Just someone who loves to ride who needs advice this time around!

Shot of my 2014 Kymco Like for Sale (2,100 miles)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:29:11 PM by scootnhoot »

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: New Member / Previous Like Owner - Looking for help this time!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
What size Xciting, the 500 or 250?  I personally would be wary of the 500. I have seen a lot of issues on that model regarding electrical problems and cold starting. The 250 would be a good bike for you if you keep your cruising speed around 65. I do not ride an Xciting, but I love the styling!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

scootnhoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 05:13:55 PM »
What size Xciting, the 500 or 250?  I personally would be wary of the 500. I have seen a lot of issues on that model regarding electrical problems and cold starting. The 250 would be a good bike for you if you keep your cruising speed around 65. I do not ride an Xciting, but I love the styling!

The 500. I think the 250 would be too small of a step up from the Like, though I could be wrong.

That's why I came here! I've seen mixed reviews, some say the engine is built like a tank, others have said they've had nothing but problems.

I'm even considering a Honda Silverwing if I could find one at a decent price, the new ones are just a bit steep, wanted to stay around 5k or below really.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:17:15 PM »
It may not be the styling you like, but the People 300GTI would be a good choice IMHO. I am looking at the  Honda Reflex. Its a 250 that will cruise at 70, is reliable, and easy to work on. Best of luck on your search! Keep us posted please.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:27:13 AM »
X500 is very comfortable. I am at 65,000 miles right now. Only break down was the stator at around 55,000 miles. Keep the belt and variator stock, and you will have no problems with belt issues and such. You can really stretch out on the X500. And has all the power you would want. 2009 and up are fuel injected. Some people have said they had cold start issues? At around 30 degree's or so. All the bike needs is a tiny more juice because of F I pump taking a little more juice. I recommend a TRUE GEL or LITHIUM battery if you have cold weather in your area? Both have more cranking amps. You will not be disappointed.  :-*

scootnhoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
X500 is very comfortable. I am at 65,000 miles right now. Only break down was the stator at around 55,000 miles. Keep the belt and variator stock, and you will have no problems with belt issues and such. You can really stretch out on the X500. And has all the power you would want. 2009 and up are fuel injected. Some people have said they had cold start issues? At around 30 degree's or so. All the bike needs is a tiny more juice because of F I pump taking a little more juice. I recommend a TRUE GEL or LITHIUM battery if you have cold weather in your area? Both have more cranking amps. You will not be disappointed.  :-*

Hi Sissy, thanks for your input. I'm communicating with the dealer right now, wish they had more color options on this bike, guess the charcoal will do, don't really care for the gold/yellow color (although it would prob be better for safety).

Had a few folks look at the like this weekend, but no takers, maybe i'm asking too much $1,900...

Also found the Honda Forza, although a bit smaller engine.

That's alot of miles!

Thanks,

John

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 08:09:10 PM »
I highly recommend the XC500EFI, even with all the issues I have had. It is an amazing ride.
Re cold start. A better gel battery and led bulbs all around.
The new model you are considering : I am sure by now that cold start issue is sorted by kymco.
On forum zzip.de a German Guy built a dc booster to overcome the low voltage to the ECU when cold starting. With negative  temps he has zero issues.
So the problem if it appears, is resolvable without needing to empty your bank account.... ☺️

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »
If going bigger....from forum readings --- I'd throw my vote for gently used SilverWing....new-old-stock Kymco 300 (either one) or NOS Burgman 400.
Kymco 500 is fun....when running. ..but not head and shoulders above the four bullet proof models listed above...so.....??
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »
The forza only has 22 horse power!  :-*

scootnhoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 06:42:01 PM »
Still searching around at this point, haven't had much luck selling the Like, probably just use it for trade collateral. I know Kymco's don't have a high resale :/ hopefully they will one day :).

Stig, found a few silverwings, but they were still out of my price range, rode the Like today to work and just reaffirmed my decision only more to find something I enjoy more. I'm not enjoying my ride at all on that seat. Every city pothole is jolting, not that i'll get much better going to a slightly larger motorcycle... But occasionally I'd like to get out on the Texas highways in the hill country on something a bit more able.

My first bike was a 1989 CBR600 Hurricane, which I got rid of, just too smokin' fast for me. Was disappointed too because I completely remodeled the bike to new condition, was fire engine red with black decals! Second was this Kymco Like, so I'm keeping an open mind as to what I want because I'm still inexperienced and don't want buyers remorse again. Most of my friends are pointing to a cruiser here, although I'm not too sure how I'd feel about the shifting in city traffic all the time, it's been spoiling to say the least with this CVT. That's why I've come back to Kymco because I feel they're a realiable brand. Although i'll admit I'm a Honda fanboy. lol

Taking the Like into the dealership that I bought it from today to see what they'll give me for it outright, even if I don't buy from them. One interested party told me the blue book value on my like is $1300-$1700, so if I can get on the high end of that, it'd be great. Thought selling this thing would be easy, especially in the hipster city I live in, but no takers really.

Thanks for the continued input...

scootnhoot

• View Profile

scootnhoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
Took the like to the dealer I bought it from he offered me $1500 for the Like. I get home, get a call, and bam, sold the like to a retired man wanting to haul it on the back of his RV (sold it for $1700) Figured what the heck, use the extra cash towards the new bike.

The dealer actually has a 2013 Silver Wing for $5499. He wouldn't budge on the price though. Unit isn't in perfect shape, scratches here and there, can tell it wasn't very well taken care of.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 11:25:03 PM »
Several of my riding buddies have had problems with the Bergman drive train. When the belt goes, you take out a loan. One 400 rider has replaced variator, belts and clutch at 5000 miles. I have not heard much great about the Suzuki Bergman.

Both of my Xciting 500s have been very reliable. For the cold-start issue, I switched to a lithium battery. In winter, the battery needs to be warmed up for a couple of minutes before touching the starter. I turn it over a time or two. Pause for a few seconds, and turn it over again. Starts every time with no trickle charger as long as it gets fired up every couple of weeks. And the battery has a 5 year warranty. Myt first was an 07 which I sold with over 36,000 miles on the odometer. And got top dollar for it. Now I ride an 09 with e3fi. Odometer shows 40,227 as of this posting.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

scootnhoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
Several of my riding buddies have had problems with the Bergman drive train. When the belt goes, you take out a loan. One 400 rider has replaced variator, belts and clutch at 5000 miles. I have not heard much great about the Suzuki Bergman.

Both of my Xciting 500s have been very reliable. For the cold-start issue, I switched to a lithium battery. In winter, the battery needs to be warmed up for a couple of minutes before touching the starter. I turn it over a time or two. Pause for a few seconds, and turn it over again. Starts every time with no trickle charger as long as it gets fired up every couple of weeks. And the battery has a 5 year warranty. Myt first was an 07 which I sold with over 36,000 miles on the odometer. And got top dollar for it. Now I ride an 09 with e3fi. Odometer shows 40,227 as of this posting.

Thanks for the info! I actually went with a year old kawasaki klr650, this thing is a blast! Albeit not so great on the highway!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »

Thanks for the info! I actually went with a year old kawasaki klr650, this thing is a blast! Albeit not so great on the highway!
[/quote]
Yeah, I would not expect a dirt bike to be very secure on the highway!
Did the salesman say it would be?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()