Author Topic: 2009 Kymco Xciting 250 vs 2013 Yamaha Majesty.  (Read 2495 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
2009 Kymco Xciting 250 vs 2013 Yamaha Majesty.
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:32:49 AM »
Well, since I traded in my 2009 Xciting 250 for a 2013 Majesty on June 4, I've put a little over 2000 MILES ON IT! I chsnged the oil at 600 miles as recommended and it's broken in. So here are some observations.

Those extra 150 cc's make a HUGE DIFFERENCE!
 Top GPS verified  speed . Xciting 78.     Majesty 93.
Speed at redline: Xciting 65-68. Majesty can't reach redline
Maximum Comfortable GPS verified cruising speed (based on the feel of the scooter) Xciting 63mph
Majesty 80 ish.

The Majesty offers better windscreen protection due to its height. It seems to be  easier to balance at VERY LOW speeds. Has a MUCH  LARGER under seat storage area. Has much longer maintenance intervals. MORE vibration at idle, LESS vibration at cruising speeds. (Both likely due to the larger engine. Also, the lights are significantly better although the Xciting's lighting was more than adequate.
It has a light to tell me when it's time to chsnge the belt, TWO trip odometers and a thermometer. Also, the rear springs can be adjusted without using any tools. Just twist it with the hand.
AND it has A PARKING BRAKE!

That being said, the Xciting 250 was a great scooter. The only 'problem" was that it was not capable of maintaining interstate speeds . Nor was it designed to do so.
The Kymco had a power outlet for charging the cell phone. A cell phone holder, an oil pressure light, flash to pass, emergency flashers, and a low battery light. The Majesty has none of those.
Also, the Majesty SEEMS to have just a tad les legroom. And it seems to be affected by buffeting a little more when behind a large vehicle. Also, the Kymco has loud turn signals. The Majesty's are SILENT. THE Xciting is easier to refuel because the filler neck is up high. The Majesty's is under the hump.

Fuel economy when driven at 60-65 mph: Xciting 64-65 mpg. Majesty 54-56 mpg.

All in all I LOVE the Majesty. But it's primary advantage is the more powerful engine.
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Kymco Xciting 250 vs 2013 Yamaha Majesty.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 10:51:23 AM »
Thanks for your scooter report!
The Majesty is a Yamaha. ...and I've always thought they make top quality stuff.
I asked why no oil light after buying my Burgman. ...a mechanic from England told me it was because engine bearings were of a type that required only very low oil pressure. Probably the same with your Majesty?
A belt change light?....must be running off of mileage.....or computer sensing constantly too high of rpms for the road speed?? (belt getting narrow?) Interesting.
Thanks again for the report.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
The Kymco had flash to pass, emergency flashers. The Majesty has none of those.

Quote from: allworld@majestyusa.com
Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:52 06

Well I'm not the type to just roll over on matters that are important to safety; I decided to call Yamaha, about the Hazard Flashers and Passing Light.
The where very nice and did get back to me, with the following information.

"The hazard and passing lights are not speced for the USA, Majesty; they are for the European models. I maybe able to contact a dealer/parts supplier in Europe to purchase the switches I’m looking for."

Well gee, that's terrific. I'm sure Yamaha has saved a bundle by eliminating these items for the USA, and of course it would seem that safety takes a back seat to profit.

Now how strange is that. My Burgmans have them and the MyRoad 700i does too. I'd have thought they would be required in the US but some Googling says not, funny Europe has them.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »
Now how strange is that. My Burgmans have them and the MyRoad 700i does too. I'd have thought they would be required in the US but some Googling says not, funny Europe has them.

Strange indeed, especially given the fact that there is a spot on the signal switch where a flash to pass should go. They obviously equip it with one in other countries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »
Thanks for your scooter report!
The Majesty is a Yamaha. ...and I've always thought they make top quality stuff.
I asked why no oil light after buying my Burgman. ...a mechanic from England told me it was because engine bearings were of a type that required only very low oil pressure. Probably the same with your Majesty?
A belt change light?....must be running off of mileage.....or computer sensing constantly too high of rpms for the road speed?? (belt getting narrow?) Interesting.
Thanks again for the report.
Stig
You are welcome. My Kymco dealer stated that the oil pressure was very low on these type engines, and that even if the oil light stayed on at idle, there was no need to worry as long as it went off as soon as the rpm's increased. He said that it was more simply volume than pressure.
As for the belt, It's according to mileage. According to the owner's manual, the change belt light comes on at 12,000 mile intervals. The general consensus is that the belt usually has much more life left. Some put as much as 20k on their belt before they lose their nerve and change it anyway. Most change it and feel comfortable enough to keep it as a spare.
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:19:59 PM »
I forgot to mention I miss having a maintenance reminder on the MyRoad 700i, it's nice on the Burgmans, for now I'm using the 2nd trip odometer to keep track of it.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:00:17 AM »
My Honda SW doesn't have hazard flashers either and is comparable to the Burgman 650 in cost new. Having had both scooters, I still prefer the SW for it's simplicity as it's not a gadget bike like the AN 650.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »
I forgot to mention I miss having a maintenance reminder on the MyRoad 700i, it's nice on the Burgmans, for now I'm using the 2nd trip odometer to keep track of it.
Am I understanding you correctly? The 700 doesn't have a maintenance reminder? Even the 2009 Xciting has an oil change reminder light.

2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »
Am I understanding you correctly? The 700 doesn't have a maintenance reminder? Even the 2009 Xciting has an oil change reminder light.

Nothing came on at the first 600 miles (like my Burgman did and then I set it to remind me every 2,600 miles) and I just crossed over 1,000 miles yesterday. Looking in the owners manual it does show a oil change light and how to reset it but makes no mention of it under the maintenance section on changing the engine oil nor could I find it in the service manual. By the lack of information I am assuming two things, it must be set every 4,000 miles and it not user settable as to the mileage interval. Who wants to wait 4,000 miles between oil changes?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:16:38 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
Nothing came on at the first 600 miles (like my Burgman did and then I set it to remind me every 2,600 miles) and I just crossed over 1,000 miles yesterday. Looking in the owners manual it does show a oil change light and how to reset it but makes no mention of it under the maintenance section on changing the engine oil. By the lack of information I am assuming two things, it must be set every 4,000 miles and it not user settable as to the mileage interval. Who wants to wait 4,000 miles between oil changes?
I was pleasantly surprised that the light on my Majesty came on at the 600 mile mark to remind me to do the initial service. I believe it will come on at 3000 mile intervals from now on.

As for the lengthy oil change intervals on your 700, as an auto mechanic, I USED to advocate more frequent intervals than the manufacturer recommend. But now with improved motor oil and the fact that I see cars go several hundred thousand miles when changed per manufacturers recommendations I recommend sticking with the owner's manual unless operated under what they describe as severe service. I suspect that the 700 will be fine too as no manufacturer would risk having their products fail prematurely from something THEY recommended.

Just my opinion..

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()