Author Topic: Do Dr. Pulley or Malossi variator solve acceleration flat spot?  (Read 2187 times)

Cvitalo

• Kymco Downtown 300i
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I want to order Dr. Pulley 20x12 14g sliders. But I was wondering do they solve famous acceleration FLAT SPOT between 25-38MPH. This flat spot is much more present when driving with passenger. It pauses the acceleration to about 2 seconds.

Or should I buy Malossi multivar 2000? I think I have red somewhere this is actually about the injection fuel system and Euro norms. But that is whole another story.  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:05:24 AM by Cvitalo »
Cpi Popcorn 50, Aprilia Sportcitiy 200i, Aprilia Scarabeo 250i, Aprilia Scarabeo 200i, Yamaha Majesty 400, Kymco Downtown 300i

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
Re: Do Dr. Pulley or Malossi variator solve acceleration flat spot?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »
I do not seem to experience this. Are we talking about rolling and then going WOT and there being a 2 second delay for the CVT to load up?

Cvitalo

• Kymco Downtown 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
When I got WOT it starts very good until it hits 6000rpm. Then the revs stop and fall to 5800 and finaly continue accelerating normally. Usually every scoot has this flat spots but on Downtown they are more noticable.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:35:56 AM by Cvitalo »
Cpi Popcorn 50, Aprilia Sportcitiy 200i, Aprilia Scarabeo 250i, Aprilia Scarabeo 200i, Yamaha Majesty 400, Kymco Downtown 300i

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:11:59 PM »
The fall down in RPM is the CVT ratio adjusting and leveling out. You should not experience any large leveling out of the acceleration pull. Even with the stock rollers I always felt a constant pull. I will say with the sliders you get to 6500 RPM instead of 6000 so since you are moer in the peak torque area of the power band with the ratio being slightly better as well the pull is stronger.

Cvitalo

• Kymco Downtown 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »
Last night I was driving with my wife in the country open road. I wasn't driving fast with other cars on the road, maybe between 35-50 mph. When I was slower (about 27mph) and accelerate at wot then revs would stop at 5500 but not too long, and when I was driving 35mph and accelerate there was no hole/flat spot.

Ok, so this happens when starting wot from lower speeds. When I go WOT down hill there is no flat spot, when going wot alone there is maybe a little pause, when going wot uphill there is 1 second delay, when going wot with passenger 1.5 sec and when going uphill with passenger 2 sec delay. I didn't measure this with precision, just want to show the big picture. :-)

I'm sorry because I didn't mention this before, but I also had a problem described in this topic:

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12498.0

I solved like they did, with playing with MAP sensor. And adjusting the MAP sensor really changes Downtown's behavior, but after solving the hesitation problem I didn't want to continue experimenting because I was afraid of receiving some ECU error. Acceleration hole was present before and after adjusting the MAP sensor so that's why I didn't mention this before.

This is the quote (google translator) from Downtown forum here in Croatia:

"Nice pulls up to 6000 rpm and the fit literally fit as I do not know or keep gas at a certain level and he holds up to 6000 rpm there as to falter for a few seconds and then again move on given hole is recorded at more scooters so that it is no fault of the pieces more looks at all who came to Europe. after this hole that I tested repeatedly scooter pulls like crazy. It seems to me that there Kymco do something to meet the EURO STANDARD and to gain approval."

So when I say this is a common problem with Downtown I was referring to the above line. Maybe it is Downtown in Europe, or even only Croatia or eastern Europe.

I think I'm gonna buy Dr. Pulley sliders and just see what happens. Maybe rollers are just worned out and need replacement. Any last advice before my purchase?  :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:11:35 AM by Cvitalo »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »
How many miles on the rollers?
Sliders will change some scooter performance in various speeds. ....don't know if it will hide a flat spot in acceleration. Worth a try....plus you get to clean out under the cvt cover.
But your flat spot seems more an ecu control behavior. ...thsn a cvt issue.
Still...differences using sliders may lessen it...since revs are changed per road speeds.
Also...sliders last longer than rollers.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:22:13 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Cvitalo

• Kymco Downtown 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:22 AM »
Scoot has about 12000 miles and 3 years old. I have just bought it. I have a service book from previous (first) owner and I see nothing about changing the rollers. Belt was changed after 2 years according to warranty paper. I cannot find any information about service interval for changing the rollers. Any clues?

My clutch is also groaning, so this is the opportunity for my mechanic to clean and take care of complete CVT. I hope my ECU is smart enough to take care of any problem after putting the sliders.  ::)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()