Author Topic: A long time ago.....  (Read 1864 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
A long time ago.....
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »
On a Honda 90, when I was 18, a friend and I bought 4 gal. of paint to paint our rental Hippy house in Calif.
I'm riding on the back, carrying 4 cans of paint, we're in the San Gabriel mts. (try carrying 4 gals of paint on your thighs! Hurts!)
He's goofing on the front - bare feet out - no hands, singing "Whiter Shade of Pale" *.
Oncoming car has 60% of our lane in a tight bend....
We go into the gravel off the shoulder, and then the Honda launches two shirtless, shoe-less guys and 4 cans of house paint over a very nice cliff.

The moral here is to ......
No, heck, this was doomed from the get-go.

For those who are too young ...goofy video but good old tune.

Stig
(my L footpeg was gone, a lot of skin, crotch of my Levi's, 3 gals of paint - all gone.
The Honda and our hair rec'd a fresh coat of the world's cheapest house paint - but we made it home with a great story. *That song still rips me back to the great 1967. No clue what the song is about - never cared, still don't,  it's the keyboard work!)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:17:51 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: A long time ago, in California
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:03:35 PM »
Funny story Tom, in retrospect but probably not the actual experience. We both lived and rode in California as I have a similar tale to share (true though). It was early evening but dark and out riding my Honda 305 Scrambler on Balboa Island near Newport Beach. Chasing some girls in a PU but was not wearing my glasses. I thought the road went straight but was a sharp curve and hit the concrete curb, launching me and the bike onto a grassy field. No helmet but was wearing a leather jacket and slid across the field on my shoulder. Wore the hide off the jacket shoulder and not a nick on me. Watched my bike spin around in circles for a minute. Only damage to bike was a broken head light and bent clutch lever. Wow,  wonder sometimes how I made it to 66?
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »
The song is about over indulgence of alcohol and drugs leading to sickness. Not that you care. lol

Now we know the origin of ripped and psychedelic colored jeans.  ;) Were you and Wavy Gravy good friends? 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:37:39 PM by TroutBum »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »
I've always liked Annie Lennox's version of the same song,

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:33:16 PM »
Nice story, Stig! I could visualize the whole scene! I don't doubt a word 'cause it is just insane enough to be true! Outside of following bad advice from "old timers" and finding they were WRONG the only thing I recall was riding first motorcycle, a Honda 250 Hawk, in the real dark mountains somewhere near Julian and spotting a deer carcass in the apex of the tight turn to the left. Had enough time and distance (barely) to modify the line and miss it. Actually, turned around and parked with the light shining on Bambi to drag him off the road. Those were the days before side-stand switches so the engine would run keeping the battery up while I played highway worker. Not as colorful as youse guys but dat's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 11:48:40 PM »
That song still rips me back to the great 1967. No clue what the song is about - never cared, still don't,...
The guy who wrote the song saw me in my shorts, and the whiteness blinded him and gave him the inspiration for the title.... (Ba-dum, ching!)  :P
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
A long time ago....
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 03:15:52 AM »
Edit:

Yep, true story.
His name was Bill Wms.
Orig. from Akron, OH.
The Honda had a Hunt's tomato can, with nail holes, stuck in the exhaust to make it street legal.  Every couple of days it got real exciting when the can blew itself off. Our motor pool also consisted of a rusty split window Beetle (Don's) and a newish gold Thunderbird convertible (belonging to Sandy - a rich girl from Pasadena) That thing was less than knee high, and 10' wide, in my memory.

We bought some more of that cheap white paint and once again we tried to color it with tubes of pigment from the store. It didn't work - I stayed up all night painting our porch in the dark, turned out pink, powder blue, pale lavender & pale yellow. Bill came home from night shift at sunrise & laughed. The Covina, CA,  newspaper & our friends said it looked like a circus wagon.
With our posters and black lights and folk music coming through the door in our front room, the kids flocked to our house. Traffic flowed by every evening to look at the town's first Hippies. A guy from the ACLU stopped by to let us know that we had picked most the conservative town around to do this. (we had some hecklers, but not much) We met with the juvenile officer and set some rules for the house. No drugs or alcohol allowed, and everyone must clear out by 9pm week days, 10pm w/e. Told the kids to bring their parents around. Got a bunch of posters from a rich guy in LA - which we gave away along with free underground papers. (those things sell for big $$ now)
With the help of the Digger News and the LA Free Press we hosted the areas first Love-In in the city park.
You can probably look all this up if the Covina newspaper has archives,1967.  I was on the front page one time. Bare foot, shirtless & Tanned kid sitting on the porch playing my Martin guitar - having a cup of joe at sunrise!
Always my fav time of day.
                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was a time when many were looking to avoid the draft. As a military bratt I had no issues with military service - but I really wanted to be a medic after I was drafted. The Army does not let you choose.

So, I read up on the situation and by some miracle I was able to get my local draft board to listen to reason:

"You want us to change your draft status to 1-AO, a conscientious objector who will serve in the regular Army, but without a weapon? Kid, do you realize almost every medic is going to combat in Vietnam?"

"Yes sir. But I know I'm ripe for the draft - I just want to be trained as a medic. I've worked in a hospital - I'll be a good Army medic."

That evening the board had just dealt with a few doz U.Mass/Amherst students crying about the loss of  their 2-S deferments due to flunking their courses.  This helped my cause a lot. I was the last one to be interviewed.
The board pres. looked around the room at the members - one old guy had known a CO medic in WWII & he spoke in my defense. No one had any objections. "OK, kid, you got it. Good luck!"

So, in a very few months I went from cooking in Haight/Ashbury, to starting a Hippy house and a love-in  in So. Cal., to kissing my new wife goodbye in the Kansas City airport, as newly minted Medic. Headed for the games in sunny S.E.Asia.

Mom cried, My Dad, the Colonel, gave me his WWII & Korea advice: "Keep your head down, Son."
(before my Dad passed - he told me that he was a little worried there for a few years {my hitch-hiking,  Hippy period} but that I turned out OK. And I apologized for being such a worry to them both.)

The  finest people I've ever worked with. Some of the huey pilots were barely out of their teens. No offense to other era Vets - but Vietnam seemed like it was fought by teenagers.

Mrs. Stig says I've worn out more than a few Angels.

Perhaps. But I'm ATGATTing & trying to ride responsibly every day, now.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: A long time ago.....
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 04:14:16 AM »
You da MAN, Stig! Bless you for being a Medic! I am a friend of Bill W. but it might be a different Bill W. You keep the ATGATT in this hot wx (weather) and we'll both be ahead!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
You da MAN, Stig! Bless you for being a Medic! I am a friend of Bill W. but it might be a different Bill W. You keep the ATGATT in this hot wx (weather) and we'll both be ahead!

Karl

Yeah Buddy,
Wearing the mesh this week!
My leather Icon is shot  full of breathing holes in the chest.....but nothing works as good as this mesh....plus you can wash it!
(Cool screen on you 4 wheeler!)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
Tanx about the windscreen! You were the one that got me past the stumble on picture posting! Speaking of mesh, Dear Wife insisted that I should consider some modern shoe that covered the ankle bones and we got some yuppy hiker boots at Gander mountain a cupla days ago. They really keep my tootsiescool in this hot weather (wx)! Does your mesh rider suit have armor?

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »
Tanx about the windscreen! You were the one that got me past the stumble on picture posting! Speaking of mesh, Dear Wife insisted that I should consider some modern shoe that covered the ankle bones and we got some yuppy hiker boots at Gander mountain a cupla days ago. They really keep my tootsiescool in this hot weather (wx)! Does your mesh rider suit have armor?

Karl

The jacket is hi vis mesh with armor upgraded from the cycle web site.....can be moved from one jacket to another.
I wear slider kevlar jeans with the knee armor and hip pads. Leather hightop boots. (brand new - issued to all of us periodically at work - but stayed with my old boots  because the ankles were so stiff on these new ones - but now good idea for scoot riding.) Armored leather Icon gloves and the helmet always. Ear plugs when on the Burgman for higher speeds - no ear plugs for poking around town. (want to hear what is going on around me)
I never get too far away from my parked scooter - but now have a locking cable (through  the grab rails)for the big stuff if I ever want to.

Tossed a red one under ea. seat. eBay $9

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 10:03:48 PM »
Thanks for the post Stig! I have always liked Procol Harum. I believe Whiter Shade of Pale is about a party that had quite a few chemicals in the mix. The organ part was based on a Johan Sebastian Bach fugue. I also like the live version of Conquistador. I am glad you have survived so far "a life well lived." Welcome home sir.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()