Author Topic: Steve McQueen & Riding into the Sun  (Read 888 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Steve McQueen & Riding into the Sun
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
I carry a roll of blue painter's tape under my seat.(color matches my scoot.....a European Thing)
Popped my helmet off and placed a strip across the top of my face shield before heading into the very bright sunrise.
Can tilt my head down as needed, to block the sun, and still see the road.
I have the flip down dark sun visor in my helmet. ...but if sun is dead on the horizon I prefer the tape.
Oh, and I never ride at sunset.  Too many cars with half blinded drivers out there. I stay parked until sun is no longer an issue.
At sunrise. ...not many of us moving around.
Stig
edited....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:05:38 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Riding into the Sun
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »
Gotta try that.......no visor on modular helmet.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »
What a great idea Tom. I bought one of those black strips many years ago for about what yiu'd pay for a couple rolls of tape. What width tape are you using? As a contractor, I don't even buy regular masking tape anymore because if you don't get it off whatever it's stuck to it kinda melts into stuff and is near impossible to remove.

When I first saw t this thread I thought it was a philosophical one on riding into our Golden Years (riding into the sun). So since this is pragmatic blog on safely riding into the sun or avoiding it as it were, I'll do the other one Tom. Great advice here good buddy.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:00:57 PM »
What a great idea Tom. I bought one of those black strips many years ago for about what yiu'd pay for a couple rolls of tape. What width tape are you using? As a contractor, I don't even buy regular masking tape anymore because if you don't get it off whatever it's stuck to it kinda melts into stuff and is near impossible to remove.

When I first saw t this thread I thought it was a philosophical one on riding into our Golden Years (riding into the sun). So since this is pragmatic blog on safely riding into the sun or avoiding it as it were, I'll do the other one Tom. Great advice here good buddy.
I use whatever I find in the kitchen junk drawer....all of it is about 1" wide. This painter's tape comes off with no marks or residue. My ride sometimes is several miles straight into the sun.....which is when I take time to pull over and put it on.
Try to tear it fairly neatly - so the kids in the school bus aren't quite sure what you've stuck on yourself:
"Is that a racing stripe?"

I usually try for the "Steve McQueen in his Porsche 917" look when they're staring at me....

Once I thought about giving them the old  hand salute......

but still not sure what it means. Don't want my wife to have to make my bail....on some kind of a morals charge.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:03:53 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: Steve McQueen & Riding into the Sun
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »
My Nolan modular has a flip down tinted screen that's not too dark that I've used for this and works really well. If it get's really bright like the flash from an A bomb, I can wear my sunglasses too while everything melts around me.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: Steve McQueen & Riding into the Sun
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:03:28 AM »
When I ride I'm not going anywhere in particular so when the sun gets too much I change directions until the sun sits higher in the sky or below the horizon

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()