Author Topic: Riding into the sunset of our Golden Years  (Read 1524 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Riding into the sunset of our Golden Years
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »
A client of mine, Bill, who was having lots of health issues told me;  "the Golden Years aren't so golden. First they took away my motorcycle, then they took away my cows and next they'll take away my pants."  Bill and Marie had a good life though and owned their own tour bus company and drove their bus all over America. He rode a Honda 750 with Marie and yes they did some cattle ranching too.

Riding into my Golden Years at 66 is, at this time, a great time of my life as I have no health issues, take no medication and can out work all of my younger crew in my construction business. So, the forecast so far for my journey looks excellent for anything and everything I want to do, including riding.

Had the grandkids in this weekend from California for a birthday party and pulled the Silverwing out for them to sit on. As I looked her over I  thought,  "this is one fine machine" as this scoot is a keeper and may well be my last one too. Lot's of memories over the years riding all over the country.....wonderful memories. And it's so exciting to know that there's lots more ahead for this ole geezer.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Riding into the sunset of our Golden Years
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 09:43:10 PM »
At 66 you are just getting started! You have a great outlook so keep it! I have 10 years on ya and De-dee has 14 and we're still going. There are several others just can't recall who right now. I was gonna tell you the first thing to go was....something. Just can't recall right now. Oh, well, keep on scootin' like you have and wait for your construction crew to catch up to ya!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 09:48:24 PM »
I'm 72 and hangin in there. Remember you're only as old as you feel, and you're not too old till you stop feeling.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »
Dudes, you guys are my hero's. Keep taking care of yourself and you'll outlast most. Over the past year I've become a vegetarian, lost 50 pounds and went from a 38 waist to a 32 and from XXL to a medium. Next is an exercise program as I used to be a Personal Fitness Trainer and am headed back into it again. Use it or lose it.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »
Dudes, you guys are my heroes. Keep taking care of yourself and you'll outlast most. Over the past year I've become a vegetarian, lost 50 pounds and went from a 38 waist to a 32 and from XXL to a medium....
I am also admiring all of our senior riders on this forum. I feel like a youngster at only 55, but I'm enjoying life more than ever. Wish I had this attitude when I was younger. (We also became vegetarians about 3 years ago, and feel better than ever.)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »
Turning 50 later this summer and just got my first scoot last Fall...feel like a kid who is just learning about all this...thinking I had about 15 years to play with my scoot and finally get a motorcycle, too..but you guys are giving me hope that I have more like 30+ years to enjoy riding!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 09:18:06 PM »
Turning 50 later this summer and just got my first scoot last Fall...feel like a kid who is just learning about all this...thinking I had about 15 years to play with my scoot and finally get a motorcycle, too..but you guys are giving me hope that I have more like 30+ years to enjoy riding!

That's why many seniors are hanging up their motorcycles and going with a scooter.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 09:25:31 PM »
Last year I went to a motorcycle rally, on my scooter, and ran into a couple of old riding buddies.  Both were 75 years young and both still riding motorcycles.  One is riding a V strom 650 and also has a Kymco Yager 200.  The other has multiple motorcycles including a track prepped GSXR 750 his wife got him last year for track days. 

I'm only 58 and feel the affects of age but I try to stay in shape so that when I'm 75 and older I can still ride.  Perhaps eventually I won't be able to handle a motorcycle and have to settle for only riding a small scooter but I can live with that because I know how much fun a small scooter is.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 11:34:45 PM »
Last year I went to a motorcycle rally, on my scooter, and ran into a couple of old riding buddies.  Both were 75 years young and both still riding motorcycles.  One is riding a V strom 650 and also has a Kymco Yager 200.  The other has multiple motorcycles including a track prepped GSXR 750 his wife got him last year for track days. 

I'm only 58 and feel the affects of age but I try to stay in shape so that when I'm 75 and older I can still ride.  Perhaps eventually I won't be able to handle a motorcycle and have to settle for only riding a small scooter but I can live with that because I know how much fun a small scooter is.

Isn't it great having lots of options. Having owned a 950 pound Goldwing, my Burgman 650 felt like a flyweight. When I lost another 100 pounds with the Honda Silverwing it was amazingly flickabke. My Burgman 400 felt small and agile but when I got a Honda 250 Reflex it was so much lighter and then when I got a Kymco, it felt like a bicycle. Everything is so relative. Perhaps I'll get another smaller scooter down the road but for now the SW is to me the perfect scooter as  long as I can handle #530 pounds.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:40:28 PM by Scooter Dan »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()