Author Topic: 10% discount to vets  (Read 931 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
10% discount to vets
« on: July 10, 2016, 06:06:20 PM »
My wife had a few days off, so of course the pup and I had to get back to work....
Checking out at Lowe's (paint, new shutters, deck cleaner, etc.) and the cashier (who has known me for yrs when I bought 10's of thousands of $ of lumber for the county) asked me if I was "military ?".
I said, " yeah, but that was a long time ago. Not a Gulf War vet - for any discounts."
She said, "Can I see your driver's license ?"
I said I don't carry that laminated miniature DD-214 any longer. Kinda tore it up scraping the car windows.

She said, "No dumby, your driver's license."

I pulled it out of my wallet and she said, "See? It says 'Armed Forces' down here in the corner. You get a 10% discount." I wondered how the state of Ohio knew I was ex Army? I was inducted in Mass. Never knew that was on my license.

She knocked $12 off ....
Who knew?!
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: 10% discount to vets
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »
I live in central New York (Syracuse). I not only get a 10% discount at Lowes, but also at Home Depot and several area restaurants. I always ask about senior citizen, military, or AAA discounts.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

bucray

• forever young
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 01:39:53 PM »
Florida has a V on our licenses.  I had it for 5 years before I knew what it was.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:00:19 PM »
has any one seen a handy cap plate for a scooter or a motorcycle,  love to get one as I have trouble walking far,  if I put my sign out from the van it would get stolen,. 

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »
Both Home Depot and Lowes have given me flack for having my old '90's vintage Army Reserve ID Card (pink) instead of a current active Reservist or Retired (20+ years service or medical retirement) ID Card. They have a "chart" which shows those style Military ID cards that they will accept for the discount. Basically, if you read their official policy re. the 10% Veteran Discount, it is really meant for those who are "officially" retired after 20+ years service or medical related retirement, current active duty and Army Reserve/NG soldiers. It is not meant for those of us who did not officially retire from the military. For example, I left the Army as a Captain. I served 3 years on active duty in the late '80's and 5 years in the Army Reserve in the early '90's, but because I did not "retire" from the Army, I do not qualify for the discount. I have had to passionately "assert" my position on more than one occasion for them to honor the discount.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()