Author Topic: My Yager is stalling!! Please help  (Read 9927 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: My Yager is stalling!! Please help
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 09:49:08 PM »
No, De dee, I did not vent the cap on the Yager. I replumbed the vent line to a high point and installed a small fuel filter for a chainsaw to keep the bugs out. I did it that way 'cause it did not, at the time, seem feasible to try to vent the cap. The vacuum operated vent valve had become permanently stuck shut.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 01:32:13 AM »
  that is what I did to my piaggio 350,  now to take the Tupperware off to run a vent hose to a high place,  ever heard of 1 way filters so if the bike is down it would not leak gas????

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
No on the one-way filters.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 01:05:42 AM »

I installed the powerpure tire on the front wheel, checking the old tire it is 14 years old ,so the pre-owners bought a old tire,and did not check the date on it, 
 it was 5 or 6 years old when they bought a new tire????????   checked the brakes and lubed the sliding pins.,  pads looked like new., 
 Well that looks after another rainy day, better not rain any more I am running out of things to do,  that's when the honey do jobs come, 

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
Hi there.  New owner of 2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager) here and posting first message! 

I have a very similar problem and would like to know how MeowJW fixed it.  I've checked the battery connections and have cleaned and tightened them.  For some reason, the previous owner put the wrong size battery in and had to shave off the tabs on the battery/fuse panel to make it fit; this also puts pressure on the connections from the MET-IN box so I will order the correct battery for it. 

Also the previous owner seems to have removed the CELP from the dash and has partially melted it (!); I have no idea what was being attempted there. 

It also seems there is a regular drip of oil from the rear part of the air box from the clear plastic hemisphere hanging underneath.  I gather this is a result of too much gear oil in the transmission?  I've had a look inside and have cleaned it.

But the high speed stall is the issue I want to address right now so would really like to know if MeowJW fixed it.

thanks!

Louder North
2009 Kymco Frost w. 10,000 km.

Just an update on the battery fitment issue I mentioned above: the previous owner had not used the wrong size battery as I had thought but had attached the battery cables to the TOP of the posts on the battery rather than the FRONT of the posts ... that means it did not fit in the space available and he/she trimmed off the top two tabs on the battery cover to make it fit.  Wow.  All good now though but I'm miffed at the needless destruction. 
2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 10:09:02 PM »
A pinhead is born every 90 seconds. You have seen one's work!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 12:37:38 AM »
As I recall, when my coil died, the ignition would stutter at higher revs, particularly under load; kind of like a car with bad high-tension wires on a rainy day. I got the impression that coil problems are common with Frosts (Yagers), since my dealer suspected the coil as soon as I described the problem over the phone. I have no idea how they actually diagnosed the issue, but it wasn't just a good guess; since this particular bike's coil is a pricey item, they notified me that the coil had to be replaced before installing the new one.

Please post an explanation of what was wrong with your bike, once the problem is solved.

Update on the use of de dee's Kymco diagnostic tool (thanks de dee and it was great talking to you in person)...   

NO error codes!  None active and none stored.  The mystery continues. 

But we did discover that the charging system is only putting out about 13.5 v or there abouts at speed, so not sure that is in spec and whether that could be causing the high speed stalling. 
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 04:27:33 PM »
Update on the use of de dee's Kymco diagnostic tool (thanks de dee and it was great talking to you in person)...   

NO error codes!  None active and none stored.  The mystery continues. 

But we did discover that the charging system is only putting out about 13.5 v or there abouts at speed, so not sure that is in spec and whether that could be causing the high speed stalling.

Another thought:  if the charging voltage is 13.xx and it was too low, wouldn't it create a DTC (fault code)?  So perhaps the charging voltage is not out of spec...

Another question: are the fault codes stored and maintained in the ECU and are they lost when the battery is disconnected?
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »
They are lost when battery is disconnected. That is always a good reset method!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 10:59:20 PM »
  My poor frost died.,  started it up and ran fine pulling into gas bar and was sputtering, filled up with gas, and felt like water in the gas,  got about 1,000 feet and it died , now it wont start at all,.  no spark ,  I will put the diagnostic on it to check whats up with it, 

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 02:42:54 AM »
  My poor frost died.,  started it up and ran fine pulling into gas bar and was sputtering, filled up with gas, and felt like water in the gas,  got about 1,000 feet and it died , now it wont start at all,.  no spark ,  I will put the diagnostic on it to check whats up with it,

Let me know where you order parts from De dee.  I ordered from Performance Powersports in SC and I'm not impressed.
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 03:15:41 AM »
 :P :P  I am tring a new one ,  E bay,  genuine only 4479 ,,,   $ 44.30 for a regulator US $  they said delivery by 15 th of nov.  to 1 dec. from tiawan

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 06:52:39 PM »
Let me know where you order parts from De dee.  I ordered from Performance Powersports in SC and I'm not impressed.

At loooong last - my parts arrived yesterday (coil, reg/rectifier, air filter).  Ordered September 11.  Scooter is in deep hibernation right now and I won't get to it until March....  chances I will order from this dealer again?  Zero. 
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 04:20:49 AM »
I just fixed the Yager today. It was running fine, then cutting out, tach buried at 10k, and engine sputtering and slowing down, then engine light on when I held it wide open. I thought it was a charging issue and the bike was running bad because the battery was going dead. But while all this was going on, the meter at the battery sat right at 14. Very steady current. So I decided to change out the coil. It took me longer to figure out you don't have to take off any plastics to change it than it did to change it. I ended up using a coil for a different brand of fuel injected scooter that was $30, instead of the Kymco coil that I couldn't find cheaper than $90, and made a small change to the cap so it was easier to push onto the plug, and it runs like a champ. I ran the piss out of it for 25 miles, and not a sputter. If it runs this well next week, I'll consider it fixed. Hopefully this coil will last longer than the one Kymco uses. It was a little tricky to mount, and in hindsight, I should have just left the old one on and mounted this one somewhere else. 
While I was going through the electrics, I found that some pinhead had disconnected the kickstand switch and coated the fuses with about a teaspoon of grease that looked like peanut butter. As soon as I saw that, I wondered what other "improvements" this idiot had made to the electrical system.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:25:31 AM by KymcoRockr »
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
I just fixed the Yager today. It was running fine, then cutting out, tach buried at 10k, and engine sputtering and slowing down, then engine light on when I held it wide open. I thought it was a charging issue and the bike was running bad because the battery was going dead. But while all this was going on, the meter at the battery sat right at 14. Very steady current. So I decided to change out the coil. It took me longer to figure out you don't have to take off any plastics to change it than it did to change it. I ended up using a coil for a different brand of fuel injected scooter that was $30, instead of the Kymco coil that I couldn't find cheaper than $90, and made a small change to the cap so it was easier to push onto the plug, and it runs like a champ. I ran the piss out of it for 25 miles, and not a sputter. If it runs this well next week, I'll consider it fixed. Hopefully this coil will last longer than the one Kymco uses. It was a little tricky to mount, and in hindsight, I should have just left the old one on and mounted this one somewhere else. 
While I was going through the electrics, I found that some pinhead had disconnected the kickstand switch and coated the fuses with about a teaspoon of grease that looked like peanut butter. As soon as I saw that, I wondered what other "improvements" this idiot had made to the electrical system.

Fantastic news! I have similar issues and hope to get to do the coil replacement (I ordered the OEM one and waited 4 months for it to arrive) this weekend.  I'll report back.  Do you have a photo or part number of the non-OEM coil you used?

Talking about the intelligence of previous owners, the instrument panel on my Frost is partially 'melted' as if someone pointed a heat gun at the 'check engine line' so I have no idea of the fault codes if any.
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()