Author Topic: At what cost would you stop repairing your scooter and scrape it?  (Read 3541 times)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: At what cost would you stop repairing your scooter and scrape it?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 03:41:50 PM »
 I generally keep my vehicles until they fail often enough to be considered unreliable. My gauge on a car or truck is whether or not it can make it to Las Vegas. Even so, I have an old truck that I would never try to cross the desert in.
 My scooter is my toy, my hobby.  My Like LX is my primary scooter. I look silly riding it, but I enjoy the heck out of it. If it started breaking down a lot and becoming unreliable, it would no longer be fun. I would find a new toy.
 There are not many parts on this Kymco that are ridiculously priced.

Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 04:40:35 PM »
tough question

I've  owned some vehicles I wouldn't even spend the money to replace a bad battery and others that I have spent  5x  what the vehicles market value was... depends on the vehicle's value to me, currently I am preparing to spend nearly $4k  on a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I only paid $2k for two years ago, and I've spent approximately $3500 in the past 2 years maintaining it

at least with a car or truck, you have nearly 2 tons of scrap metal to consider, the only scrap value of a scooter is what you might be able to get on ebay for parts IF you take the time to dismantle, clean, advertise and ship the parts
RandyO
IBA#9560

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 05:55:32 AM »
I generally keep my vehicles until they fail often enough to be considered unreliable. ....
 My scooter is my toy, my hobby.  My Like LX is my primary scooter. I look silly riding it, but I enjoy the heck out of it. If it started breaking down a lot and becoming unreliable, it would no longer be fun. I would find a new toy...
I would agree with LidoCA - when it gets to the point where it's more of a liability than enjoyment, it's time to let the scooter go. Until that point, it is a bit of a challenge to see  how long I can keep it running without putting a ton of money into it. I have an old push mower that should have been replaced about 5 years ago, but it's kind of a challenge to see how many more seasons I can get out of the old girl with minimal repairs and cost.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »
I would agree with LidoCA - when it gets to the point where it's more of a liability than enjoyment, it's time to let the scooter go. Until that point, it is a bit of a challenge to see  how long I can keep it running without putting a ton of money into it. I have an old push mower that should have been replaced about 5 years ago, but it's kind of a challenge to see how many more seasons I can get out of the old girl with minimal repairs and cost.
Trick to keeping a mower alive for decades is to:
1) Never change the oil
2) Never drain the gas - nothing magical happens over the winters
3) When wheels break out of the chassis, drill new holes OR add real big washers and go back in that hole
4) Mowed a whole summer perfectly well with a trike mower
5) The blade will eventually hit enough stuff to begin re-sharpening itself - magic!
6) If you need to use your sneaker to shut it off, something must still be arcing down there - so spark plug is still good
Also, I really baby my mower by using nothing but premium gas!

Stig

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:02:22 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »
Stig needs a net thrown over him!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »
I generally keep my vehicles until they fail often enough to be considered unreliable. My gauge on a car or truck is whether or not it can make it to Las Vegas. Even so, I have an old truck that I would never try to cross the desert in.
 My scooter is my toy, my hobby.  My Like LX is my primary scooter. I look silly riding it, but I enjoy the heck out of it. If it started breaking down a lot and becoming unreliable, it would no longer be fun. I would find a new toy.
 There are not many parts on this Kymco that are ridiculously priced.

You hit the nail on the head with that one for me. I sold a Goldwing with only 30k because of unreliability issues, not mileage.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
Hello. I've lurked here for a few months, while I've been fixing up my 09 Agility 50.
(Thank you. I have learned a lot here.)
I bought it brand new for my son, but he only rode it for a year, until he got a car.
It had 2400km on it when I started buying parts for the project in June
It now has a 50mm bbk with all of the goodies I could find for it.
Grand total was under $1000 including misc tools and fluids.
Considering I spent $1799+tax on it 7 years ago, I don't think I spent too much on the project.
It's actually useful to me now, since it keeps up with traffic. I put 1000km on it last week.

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()