Author Topic: I`m pissed !  (Read 1856 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I`m pissed !
« on: July 25, 2016, 05:45:05 PM »
This season I have dropped my scooter twice. Both times I was turning tight. First time I hit a pot hole that I thought was a wet spot in a parking lot, "sort of an excuse". It through me off balance and you can guess what happened then.
Second time, I was making a u turn on a country road. The steering locked on me and flipped me so fast I could not believe it. The scoot was laying on my left ankle and foot.
I managed to pull my foot free. I stood up to see if was hurt. Luckily, no injuries. I took a deep breath then jerked my scooter up.
I`m starting to wonder about myself. I have ridden motorcycles all my adult life and had pretty good luck over the years as far as accidents.
I am 64 years old now and I wonder if i`m getting a little careless.
Now both sides of my scoot has touch up paint. sh**!
I have always strived to keep my bikes well maintained and looking sharp.
Kinda down in the dumps.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:46:39 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: I`m pissed !
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
Aw shoot boo!
Sorry for your foot and your scoot!
As I have gotten older I noticed my balance is not 100% what it used to be.
I don't do tight turns on my scooter...and am very careful when moving it around in the garage so that I don't lose it on the far side.
I am not one of those riders who can put down only one foot when stopping.
In any event - stuff happens - even when we're being careful.

My fist day riding my scoot to work....coming home.
I see a commotion at the intersection where I must turn L to leave my high speed road.
I nearly over-ran the corner because there was a young gal laying under her new Harley at the stop sign.
There was a very slight incline, up, where she waited to turn onto the high speed road.
She lost the bike onto her left side when she picked up her feet, rolled backwards and missed her gear.
 BOOM! down she went under her brand new HD (still had the paper tags)
I and another fellow behind her helped get her out from under her bike and get the bike up.
She was pretty much OK - as was the bike - save for a few bits. Frankly - that bike was a few 100LBs too much for her short little chubby self. But when someone wants an HD - salesman usually aren't honest enough to talk sense to them. She was scared and very embarrassed. Probably never practiced a hill start with her salesman.

And this was my first day venturing out onto the roads as a brand new scooter commuter! Crap, already see a two-wheeled wreck!

Ride safe
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
Boo I feel your pain. I hate having my vehicles less then prestine. With time the pain of those imperfections will fade, but until they do it sucks!

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »
Boo your young yet at 64. What size wheels do you have on your scoot? If they're 10/12in then riding/cornering is way different from a m/c with 18/21in wheels. You need to go to an empty parking lot and do a lot of figure 8's. I mean spend half a day at least so you can get used to the geometry of the scoot. You'll get better and your confidence will return. Just be mindful of the differences between a m/c and a scooter. They are different and you need to ride them accordingly.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about your scoot Boo. As far as you making tight turns it reminds me of an old joke;  "Doc, it only hurts when I do this." Doc looks up and says "Well then, dont do that!"  Keep your chin up and keep riding sir!  :D
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 06:00:26 PM »
2wheelfun has a nice point.. it wont hurt to get some forced practice. take some time...
i also droped parked my first scooter with less than 40mi on the odo. i felt like sh*t beeing so new! but lesson learned... thats the important thing

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »
I know how you feel Boo. I had a small wipe out back in January. Made a left turn at a light on a one way street. Front tire hit a frozen manhole cover and down I went. Was going around 10 mph so little injury to me, but a lot of scrapped paneling on my bike.

It happens.

Tight U turns are always a challenge. With out the proper power and forward momentum the weight of the bike catches up with you and then it's a matter of physics and gravity. Just apply what you learn for the next time.
Ride safe, but ride.

- Wolf

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 11:23:37 PM »
I feel the same way.Im not the best on my scoot anymore. I need to slow down and take it easy. not as young anymore pushing 60.I have been thinking of getting a trike. But I see with theam you have to becarefull how you take corners and there not as fast as some.And they take more coin out of your pocket to repair.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 11:30:21 PM »
I feel the same way.Im not the best on my scoot anymore. I need to slow down and take it easy. not as young anymore pushing 60.I have been thinking of getting a trike. But I see with theam you have to becarefull how you take corners and there not as fast as some.And they take more coin out of your pocket to repair.

Ah Blue....
I think we'd be rolling a trike over all the time....or at least putting it up on 2 wheels and scaring the bejeepers out of ourselves.
Let's stay on two wheels.
You know, just take it easy and recognize our limits. We're not as young as we once were - but we're a heck of a lot smarter.
Let's use that to our advantage!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 12:31:47 AM »
As far as when to stop riding, it's really not an age thing but rather confidence. One can lose their confidence riding at an early age after dropping their bike or having a close call. If you're in good physical health there's no reason we can't ride responsibly and competently into our seventies and eighties. The age excuse is not valid in my book. Shake it off Boo and don't let this get you down. Every experience builds upon the next as these experiences actually make you a better rider, not a worse one.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()