Author Topic: Stirring the OIL Pot !  (Read 2990 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Stirring the OIL Pot !
« on: August 20, 2016, 12:31:56 AM »
Just finished reading an article in my son's motorcycle mag about engine oil.

I came away with these ideas:
1) Synthetic is best for the engine - if not your wallet.
2) Synthetic 'blends' may have a very small % of synthetic oil in the mineral oil.
3) No such thing as "too slippery", so synthetic is fine for breaking-in a new engine. (the only draw-back   
with using synthetic for breaking in a new engine - is the cost of dumping this expensive oil at the 600 mile mark!)
4) Use the oil rated good enough for your engine -see your owner's manual for that info.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
Re: Stirring the OIL Pot !
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 12:42:59 AM »
Great post Stig.   :)  I had a Suzuki Jimny for 8 years and had always used fully synthetic oil and she never used a drop.  Good oil and very regular changes.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 04:28:27 PM »
if any oil  is mineral, it is the synthetics, petroleum is organic in nature, not dinosaurs, but billions upon billions of tiny plankton that settled to the bottom of the oceans and became compressed

for all those a ''PEAK OIL" zealots, I say BS, petroleum is forming in our seas faster than we are extracting it
RandyO
IBA#9560

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »
I use Rotella T6 full synthetic. I buy it in the 5 qt container and it usually costs me about 4 to 5 bucks a quart. I love the stuff.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 07:07:06 PM »
a true synthetic is a group 4!

most synth are hydrocracked and  legally are synth but they are not.

i stick to motul a true group 4 with ester base.

in the scoot i use the 7100 and if i wanted more i could go with the 300v but that the best you can get with no questions about.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »
Just finished reading an article in my son's motorcycle mag about engine oil.

I came away with these ideas:
1) Synthetic is best for the engine - if not your wallet.
2) Synthetic 'blends' may have a very small % of synthetic oil in the mineral oil.
3) No such thing as "too slippery", so synthetic is fine for breaking-in a new engine. (the only draw-back   
with using synthetic for breaking in a new engine - is the cost of dumping this expensive oil at the 600 mile mark!)
4) Use the oil rated good enough for your engine -see your owner's manual for that info.

Stig

Great Stig! Now you have started the "my oil can beat up your oil" thread! The main thing is no matter what oil, they all work fine as long as you change it regularly.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:27:56 AM »

Yes, but my oil gave me better fuel economy, gave me 10 mph more top speed, cut my acceleration time in half, turned my odometer back, reversed global warming, and cured world hunger. But oil X will gum your engine up, cause overheating,  do irreparable damage to your engine, and cause earthquakes if you go 5 miles over factory oil change recommendations.

That's what some are convinced that their oil did for them vs what oil X can do. 😂😂😂😂😂
2009 Xciting 250

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 03:56:08 AM »
For more speed, just get a red scooter.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 05:13:03 AM »
a true synthetic is a group 4!

most synth are hydrocracked and  legally are synth but they are not.
True dat.  If I'm not mistaken that's what Rotella is.  I don't really mind the Rotella T5, & "regular", I've used a fair bit of it & think it's good stuff,  but I don't appreciate the skeevy marketing of calling that synthetic.

I've pretty much run the gamut, & f honestly I haven't been able to really track much difference during summer riding, particularly after you get a few miles on it.
In the winter, the motor does seem to smooth out a bit quicker, but after it's all warm I'm not seeing a lot of difference.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 11:16:45 AM »
For me the Rotella T6 is a good balance between quality and price. It is a proven oil that has been used successfully in many platforms, including motorcycles. I am really not going to go down the rabbit hole of chemical analysis. The stuff just works for me and I am happy with it. Everyone is free to use what they choose. The most important thing is that the oil is changed regularly, particularly on the smaller displacement scoots without a real filter.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
Yes, but my oil gave me better fuel economy, gave me 10 mph more top speed, cut my acceleration time in half, turned my odometer back, reversed global warming, and cured world hunger. But oil X will gum your engine up, cause overheating,  do irreparable damage to your engine, and cause earthquakes if you go 5 miles over factory oil change recommendations.

That's what some are convinced that their oil did for them vs what oil X can do. 😂😂😂😂😂
I had a 198? power mower from Sears until this spring when I retired and was tired of pushing the wobbling monster. It may have had a drop or two of the oirig. oil ---- because I never changed the oil, just added some of whatever I had left over from the cars, motorcycle, deep fryers, etc. bottles. I'm pretty certain I may have re-cycled some oils a few times (change car oil, pour old oil into oil jug - 6 mos later forget that's old oil in there & top up the mower with it !)
This mower never failed to start, did not smoke - banged a bit but I think that was from mowing too many rocks & stumps. My son claims I did change the blade, once. I can't see it....
I think most modern engines will run OK on softened Blue Bonnet margarine.

In the winter I add a bottle of this stuff to the oil and some Sea Foam to the gas - they probably are equally effective and necessary in modern gas, and engines, in anything but Third World countries.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:01:31 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 08:41:27 PM »
I think the Hawaiian Tropic is a little short on zinc and it has too much chromolydenum hydroxide tetrachlorinate extractive for optimal viscosity permeability. My Copper Tone is muuuch better!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 09:28:24 PM »
Tanning oil.    Mmmm maybe baby oil will work to.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
Don't know if it's an issue with motorcycle and scooters, but my brother who works on a lot of older cars (60s/70s/80s) says that synthetic leaks past older seals more readily than non-synthetic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »
Quote from: mclark999 link=topic=233j51.msg164351#msg164351 date=1471819858
Don't know if it's an issue with motorcycle and scooters, but my brother who works on a lot of older cars (60s/70s/80s) says that synthetic leaks past older seals more readily than non-synthetic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep
Put Mobil-1 in my VW a/c Beetle...leaks started. ...drained it back out.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()