Author Topic: First Oil change weird discovery  (Read 3510 times)

Joebug

• View Profile
First Oil change weird discovery
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:33:05 PM »
So I changed my oil today, and I usually use a cut off round gallon jug from a windshield washer container to catch the oil then transfer to a used oil container, this way I can see what comes outed..anyway, I start draining the oil... And it comes out pretty dark, I guess normal... and it keeps coming and coming and I'm looking at it in amazement because all of this oil keeps draining out. Turns out there was a little over 1 1/2 quarts of oil in it! My model calls for 0.9 liter or just shy of 1 quart! So it basically had double the amount of oil in it!
My concern is what kind of damage could this have caused? I'm thinking blown seals but it doesn't leak....maybe lucky?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: First Oil change weird discovery
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 12:03:28 AM »
Ah, Joe, that should have shown on the dipstick. During your pre-delivery inspection. Too much oil is not good because it gets whipped into a froth and the oil pump fails to deliver sufficient oil to the valve cover area. Having said all that, I would not worry too much since most all the Kymco models are nearly bullet-proof. I recommend you check the valves and the cam for any scoring. All is well if the cam lobes look good. The only model that seemed to have problems with cam hardness is the Xciting 500i and it has a LOT more oil in the sump than .9 quart.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Joebug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 01:52:33 AM »
Karl

I should have stated that I bought it second hand and the previous owner overfilled it or his mechanic did, one or the other. I checked the oil prior to purchasing but I didn't notice it being that high, but then I guess I was only concerned that it had oil in it... Who overfills the oil? That was just stupid. They probably just filled it til it came out the top! The screen was clean...no debris and the used oil didn't appear to have any shavings in it. So checking the cam sounds like a big job... Seems like I have to take most of the plastic off to get to the engine? Might be time for a service manual...

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »
Wow, Joe, that's a lot of extra oil !!!! How many miles did you drive, from the time you bought it, to the time you changed it? I'm shocked that you didn't blow a seal. When I bought mine from the dealer, he told me he just had his tech change the oil. Couldn't remember what oil they use, he said. So as soon as I got it home( rented a u-haul motorcycle trailer for $15) I changed the oil myself. That way I knew what kind and how much was in there . Hope everything is fine with yours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
if it has not caused any obvious problems
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 05:19:29 PM »
most likely everything is ok.
I would make sure the engine has the proper amount of oil and ride on.
You might want to check your air filter and see if it is saturated with oil.
If your engine is running good with no obvious leaks, you should be fine.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »
Don't have to do much plastic removal, just remove seat and tub underneath and maybe a panel in front of engine to get at the rocker cover. Then remove rocker cover to inspect. While in there check the valve clearances to be sure. No biggie.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
Also need to drain the hang down overflow oil drain tube thingy.Whats that called Karl? I'm getting sometimers!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
Also need to drain the hang down overflow oil drain tube thingy.Whats that called Karl? I'm getting sometimers!

Puke tube

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 11:35:20 PM »
More than likely no issue, but do what was suggested by the gang to be sure.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 11:42:47 PM »
Thanks Troutbum! I think the Puke Tube hangs down near the holder-upper ;D
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 01:23:44 AM »
I alway just leave my puke tube unpluged...just hope nobody fallows to close behinde me.......lol.   

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 01:59:07 AM »
Generally speaking, if nothing happened, then nothing happened. And if something happened, it has already happened and will be obvious. Overfilling is most likely to cause problems at higher rpm. I know the small engine is slightly more sensitive. But we've had careless lube guys to forget to drain the old oil and install 6qts of new oil. The customer would leave. If they were a conservative driver, they might not notice for several day until they have to rapidly accelerate. Then it smokes like a burning oil well. They come in in a panic. We drain the oil and properly fill it. We drive it about ten miles to clear the smoke and to make sure there are no obvious problems. The manager puts in writing that if a problem occurs within X amount of time or mileage, the shop will make it good, they offer the customer a few free oil changes or a free detail for good will. And the customer is on their way. So far no one has returned with engine problems. If there is any damage, it has always been evident immediately. I'm going a long way around to say don't worry. Just make sure it never happens again.
2009 Xciting 250

Joebug

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 02:02:42 PM »
Thanks for the replys....I don't believe anything major happened either at this point...it seems to be running real good ....I don't want to jinx myself so I'll leave it at that...lol.  I will however take a look at the air filter and replace it if needed. By the way...what's this puke tube ya'll talking about? Lol.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
Scion owners report doing their first DIY oil change...then putting in four qts and finding oil massively overfilled....because they had drained tranny fluid.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:50:16 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 05:54:56 PM »
Scion owners report foing their first DIY oil change...then putting in four qts and finding oil massively overfilled....because they had drained tranny fluid.
Stig
Yes, on many Toyota/scion products the transmission drain plug stands out more than the oil drain plug. There was also one brand of car that had a relatively large place for the transmission dipstick. And a customer added motor oil to the automatic transmission. That caused major problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()