Author Topic: new law to me in SoCal  (Read 976 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
new law to me in SoCal
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:02:47 PM »
"California law enforcement officers for decades have allowed lane-splitting when traffic is congested, but there's never been a law saying it's legal."

Pasted this from a SoCal newspaper.
I knew lane-splitting was not ticketed in Cal. but did not know there was no law  permitting it.
They have made a law permitting it as of last month I think.
People would not dislike it so much if riders stuck to the rule of staying under 50mph and passing at no more than 15mph when lane-splitting.
No comment on those riders who won't do this.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: new law to me in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:33:43 PM »
That CHP motor officer did tell me that lane splitting was not specifically illegal while not specifically permitted. That was in '66 or '67. He also stressed lane split on the freeway when traffic stopped and ride at 5 to 10 mph. Stop  splitting at speeds above 10 mph. Use some judgement was the message.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:36:15 AM »
 The CHP is currently making the legal guidelines for the new law. Prior to last month, it was neither legal or illegal. The law was vague, in which there was a legal reference to lane "sharing". The legislature gave the CHP the power to write the rules. We shall see.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »
The CHP is currently making the legal guidelines for the new law. Prior to last month, it was neither legal or illegal. The law was vague, in which there was a legal reference to lane "sharing". The legislature gave the CHP the power to write the rules. We shall see.

This ^^^

The CHP positione for decades in CA encouraged lane-splitting for PTWs, but now that it's law it will be interesting to see if they keep the rules lacked.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »
Lane splitting by scooters and motorcycles is normal in much of the world outside the USA.  It reduces the commute time of millions of riders around the world.  Studies show that it is slightly safer for the rider as well as compared to just staying in the lane in stop and go traffic. 

There have been attempts to legalize lane splitting in other states with no success so far.  Luckily I live somewhere where the traffic is light and not being able to legally split lanes is no big deal. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()