Author Topic: Wider tires?  (Read 3786 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Wider tires?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 12:54:31 AM »
Oh, the wonders of higher education! Where professors and student instructors get reading and teaching confused! University of Kansas Engineering was the same way. As well as being WAY behind the times on the subject. Have fun!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 01:54:24 AM »
Do note that having wider tires on a motorcycle will not improve it's handling. More over it WILL slow down your turning in speed.

Due to the different tire profile, the scooter will not turn nor handle as it was designed to by the factory. There is a reason, a certain motorcycle is recommended with a fixed size.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »
Do note that having wider tires on a motorcycle will not improve it's handling. More over it WILL slow down your turning in speed.

Due to the different tire profile, the scooter will not turn nor handle as it was designed to by the factory. There is a reason, a certain motorcycle is recommended with a fixed size.

Only looking for a BIT of width... nothing drastic enough to affect 1)insurance 2) handling 3) anything else detrimental to the bike. Am NOT Darksiding it. Just tired of fighting the road seams ( front tire keeps getting caught up in the wonderful roads of Maine.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »
Oh, the wonders of higher education! Where professors and student instructors get reading and teaching confused! University of Kansas Engineering was the same way. As well as being WAY behind the times on the subject. Have fun!

Karl

Thanks ! I, actually, enjoy being in school .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Haarek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
I think my next ones will be Michelin Power Pure SC which are supposed to have a harder compound in the center of the rear tread to wear longer. Some of you know more about this than I do so PLEASE set this straight if needed!

Karl

I have the Power Pure's and love them. Very good grip both dry and wet. Immediate improvement over the originals.

Can also confirm they have dual compound thread.  So far got around 3000 km on them so I really can't comment on longevity.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 02:30:04 AM »
Only looking for a BIT of width... nothing drastic enough to affect 1)insurance 2) handling 3) anything else detrimental to the bike. Am NOT Darksiding it. Just tired of fighting the road seams ( front tire keeps getting caught up in the wonderful roads of Maine.

You have a 120 width front tire, most motorcycles run a 120. I am not sure even if you go to a 130 would help. are there any tires with 130/80 14?

BTW, what kind of surface are the roads of Maine?

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 06:56:01 AM »
I think I'd suggest some of the tyres recommended earlier in the thread before trying to lever on rubber of the wrong size.. You'll probably find that'll do the trick for you.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 02:55:25 PM »
You have a 120 width front tire, most motorcycles run a 120. I am not sure even if you go to a 130 would help. are there any tires with 130/80 14?

BTW, what kind of surface are the roads of Maine?

Roads are all blacktop...NO asphalt ( the fools ) .

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 10:04:42 AM »
I think my next ones will be Michelin Power Pure SC which are supposed to have a harder compound in the center of the rear tread to wear longer. Some of you know more about this than I do so PLEASE set this straight if needed!

Karl

The Michelin PowerPure SC is a great tire. Yes it is dual compound. Harder rubber in the middle and softer on the sides. This combination gives you amazing grip in corners yet won't wear flat in the middle from long straight motoring.

I have about 4000 miles on my front. Wear is hardly noticeable, uniform. I'm sure it'll last another 4000 miles before I need a new one. Rear is a bit younger only about 3000 miles on it. Wear similar as front, hardly noticeable uniform. Almost like new.

I can only recommend them.
They're A HUGE improvement over the stock doughnuts.... They turn your scooter into a different kind of animal :) much better handling of crap pavement, cracks, wet road, thick road marks etc.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()