Author Topic: Motorcycle Guy Looking at a Used GT300i  (Read 2536 times)

SteveADV

• View Profile
Motorcycle Guy Looking at a Used GT300i
« on: September 09, 2016, 03:50:45 AM »
Been doing the typical Internet research. Only scooter I ever owned was a BMW C650GT, so nothing in the less than 400# range which is the size I am looking for as a second bike to my Triumph Tiger Explorer. I think the 300i fits (also considering a BV350).

Specific bike I have my eye on is a very low mileage 2013. Question is, should a non-mechanical guy consider one of these if there are no reliable dealers around?

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Guy Looking at a Used GT300i
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:42:27 AM »
Yessss....Join us....Join the Dork Side...We have cookies!!!  :)

Seriously though, maintenance is pretty basic on Kymcos.  If you have a local shop that works on scooters or you're willing to check videos, & get your hands dirty you'd be OK bar catastrophe.  For the most part it should be easier than your Tiger.
Bigger work might become an issue unless you have the aforementioned scooter shop of 'bout any stripe, but it's not real common on those. <knock on wood>
Maybe peruse the GT300i forum and see what the maintenance schedule's like.  It wasn't too rough when I checked it.
Far as GT300 vs. BV350 check out justgottascoot.com. He has reviews on both.  They both rate highly, & to some extent it depends on what you want to do with 'em & if you have a piaggio shop (in your case).  I do believe that the BV has a longer maintenance interval though so that my impact you as well.

Hope that's helpful.

Tromper
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
Tromper pretty well nailed it. I would like to add the 300i's from Kymco are quite impressive in performance. I am biased since we have both the People GTi300 and the Downtown DT300i. The ONLY thing I will say against the People is the tiny fuel tank. It is about 2.4 gallons and the Downtown is 3.4 gallons. Being able to cruise over 200 miles with reserve is ideal.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »
Yessss....Join us....Join the Dork Side...We have cookies!!!  :)

Seriously though, maintenance is pretty basic on Kymcos.  If you have a local shop that works on scooters or you're willing to check videos, & get your hands dirty you'd be OK bar catastrophe.  For the most part it should be easier than your Tiger.
Bigger work might become an issue unless you have the aforementioned scooter shop of 'bout any stripe, but it's not real common on those. <knock on wood>
Maybe peruse the GT300i forum and see what the maintenance schedule's like.  It wasn't too rough when I checked it.
Far as GT300 vs. BV350 check out justgottascoot.com. He has reviews on both.  They both rate highly, & to some extent it depends on what you want to do with 'em & if you have a piaggio shop (in your case).  I do believe that the BV has a longer maintenance interval though so that my impact you as well.

Hope that's helpful.

Tromper

Wait a minute. You have cookies??! SOLD!  ;D   Seriously though, I do no maintenance. Not even oil changes. In fact, I am sitting at a mall across from my Triumph dealer waiting for new tires to be installed as I write this. I guess what concerned me where posts about wiring harness issues, months in dealers' shops, etc. I even called Kymco in SC to try to get a feel for their customer service and to see if they had a preferred dealer or service shop program (apparently they do not).

The only thing they did was give me names off their dealer locator. Already did that. One name they gave me, that I was going to call anyhow, is a dealer I bought a bike from a few years ago that also has done some work for me. So I called them a they said they no longer work on Kymcos.

Another concern is that our bigger scooter dealer in the area has told me he is dropping Kymco and discouraging customers from buying the brand because of some mechanical problems after a few years. He also said that Kymco is losing a million dollars a year on scooters in the USA and he believes they may pull out if the market completely. I take that kind of talk with a grain of salt, of course, but I have to admit the call to KymcoUSA was a little discouraging. Especially after also calling Piaggio in NY with the same kind of questions a talking to some one in their "Customer Care" dept....not that Piaggio provided anything I couldn't find on the Internet, but at least they faked it a little better.

You may know that Kymco builds the BMW scooters, so it's not just Kymco owners that think very highly of them.

Thanks for your thoughts, Tromper.

Tromper pretty well nailed it. I would like to add the 300i's from Kymco are quite impressive in performance. I am biased since we have both the People GTi300 and the Downtown DT300i. The ONLY thing I will say against the People is the tiny fuel tank. It is about 2.4 gallons and the Downtown is 3.4 gallons. Being able to cruise over 200 miles with reserve is ideal.

Karl

Hey Karl,   I hear yah about the small tank. I have to admit, though, they all feel like little toys. Hugely fun toys, but only around town kinda things...which is exactly what I am looking for. Mayber with more experience I will venture out and do some light touring. We'll see.

One factor behind my preference for the People rather than the Downtown is that the egos look better for a 6'2". Am I off base about that?

I have only ridden a Vespa 300GTS (uncomfortable with the small wheels), a BV350 (seemed fine but I rode 125 miles on my Triumph to get there and not sure testing a mid-size scooter after being on the Tiger for that length of time let's my mind wrap itself around the size/performance differences that obviously should be expected), and this afternoon a Kymco People GT 300i. It's a 2013 with less than 500 miles (2 owners already, though) and an asking price of $2,700. I mean, c'mon. Isn't that a great deal...assuming what the current owner is telling me about its "like new" condition?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »
The very reason we got those scoots was for extended travel. We made a trip to Cumberland Gap on both last year with the People pulling a trailer (about 300 pounds) with 40 pounds of doggies and carrier on the luggage rack toting a Tow-Pac outrigger wheels (200 pounds). The People climbed the same hills and cruised with the Downtown all the way. The only thing was having to fill the People every hunnert miles from the five gallon gas can carried in the trailer!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »
This is kind of a PS: I don't think Kymco USA is losing money. The dealers may be. Kymco reps no longer require the dealer to stock parts because few are ever really needed so they all are mail-order places where YOU pay the hefty shipping costs. Further, there is NO tech school for techs. Reps consider that since most of the dealers also sell motorcycles and/or ATV's and sis-by-sides the techs have all the schooling they need for scoots. The service manual for each model of Kymco sucks! There are mistakes and omissions. There is no flat-rate policy for work on the scoots so most of these market driven dealers place unreasonable demands on their techs to turn jobs quickly. Scooters are just not that big in this country and the dealers are not trying very hard to change the situation. The two-year warranty on the Kymcos is one of the best but you practically have to drag the dealer kicking and screaming to get them to honor any warranty claim. On that, I was recently successful in getting a dealer to warranty a part that I deemed to have failed. They got the part, a vacuum valve for the fuel tank vent, sent it to me and I sent them the faulty valve back. My bike would have been there for MONTHS if they were to have done the job because it would have taken them MONTHS to figure out 1. Where it was on the bike ( not mentioned in service manual) and 2. You have to remove nearly all the plastic on the machine to get to it. Exchanging the valves takes less than a minute! The service manual is real secretive on how to remove/replace body panels.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »
Depending on when the scooter was registered for the road - it may still have some of the fully transferable warranty intact.
However - As for servicing - Karl, should not just about any competent motorcycle/4-wheeler/powersport shop in the area be able to handle the maintenance on his scooter? Tire changes, oil changes, a belt & rollers, etc.?

IF there is not a shop that will work on this scooter - and he cannot do the servicing -Man, I hate to say it, but maybe he should be looking at a lightweight bike for which he can find servicing - like the Honda 300F naked. Or ?

Really stuck if no one will work on his scooter - and he won't, then what?
Find a local guy who rides scooters & will do the work? (where'd the seller of this scoot get his work done?)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:22:38 AM »
Turns out the bike is actually a 2012. Really good shape. Really fun to ride. It will take a little getting used to the size, but I can make it work, so committed to the purchase and picking it up tomorrow. Would post a picture, but can't figure out how using my iPad.

As to the current owner's maintenance, the bike has less than 600 miles so only an oil change so far; done by the owner. My concern about maintenance is related more to items specific to a Kymco People GT300i. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Hadn't really planned on touring with it, but starting to rethink that based on Karl's comments about his 300i use. Bottom line...Its a capable PTW. Lots of uses. I'll figure out a few that fit me as I gain more experience.

Now, about posting those pictures........

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
Steve,it's pretty easy. Take a picture with your iPad and save to camera roll. Then when you want to post, you can write what you want to say, like normal, and when you want to add the picture, hit the plus "+" button to the left of the text content box. A new screen will pop up, then just hit the camera icon or the icon that looks like a little mountain, and your pics will pop up. Then select which pic you want and post. You can do it!!! We love seeing new pictures!!! Lol

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 10:26:15 PM »
Hmmm, ok let's try this picture thing. Sounds simple enough.

But wait a minute, no "+" button to the left of this text content box. Is this one of those times when I am staring right at it?? Don't think so. Pipster, you are talking about using an iPad, right? I can use the "choose file" button to select a picture but cannot see how to add it.

I am apparently to dense to figure out this picture thing so let's use our imagination....Picture in your mind a gold 2012 People GT300i with less than 600 miles on and not a nick or scratch to be found anywhere. Now picture me using my GoPro to record the ride from the sellers house to mine. Part 2 lane. Mostly highway. Don't forget, this is Norhteast Ohio we are talking about so be sure to add in the ever present billowy clouds and always sunny skies. (He said with a straight face.)

Now here are some of the personal good points to the bike I discovered during this initial ride:
1. Ergos work pretty well for me. At 6'2" (and old) I was concerned. Turns out the reach to the grips and seat height were really good. Even the foot room worked.
2. Didn't buy the bike for speed/torque but there is plenty.
3. Surprisingly stable at 70+. How could that be? The bike doesn't even weight 400lbs? Just a fact. Might have something to do with the high end engineering, me thinks.
4. Wore my modular and no buffeting. Sure there was lots of air movement, but it was clean air and not a mishmash of waves.
5. On the 2 lanes and in-the town part, the light weight was a blast. Also very helpful as my left knee is swollen from some recent abuse. Sorta still recovering from knee surgery in late winter and not having to worry about holding up a heavy bike if a hard lean to the left at a stop happened was pretty doggone spectacular.
6. Speaking of the in-town part, I couldn't help but notice how well balanced the bike is.
7. The CVT engine breaking took some getting used to, but after I figured it out it was like downshifting to a stop (ahh, duh).
8. More than adequate breaking. I have some more to learn in this area, but any issues related to stopping, breaking while turning, etc. will be operator error.
9. I normally keep panniers, a top case, and tank bag on the Triumph (stuff in each). Gotta tell yah, there is something about just shoving a couple things in the top case and taking off. Freedom?
10. My wife said she could tell I was excited about the bike when I called the insurance company. Something about my voice changing, "Sounding like a kid excited about his new toy." And this from an old beat up grizzly motorcycle guy. Cool.

And here's what I didn't like:
1. No cruise control. Gonna spend some time on that thing. Will go to a kaoko or something.
2. Can't think of anythîng else.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 11:02:27 AM »
OK glad you took the leap!
600 miles. Crazy. Two owners. Crazy.
Did I miss it...what color?
Ohio. Me too. You up there by the ocean?
Cool. Now time to change the oil.
Bikes you can farm out the work...scooters need owner's touch.
Bad knees? Hire a neighbor kid... chubby one...kneel on him while you look things over down there with your pliers in hand.
Owners here will talk you thru the servicing.
Of course...house rules: No pictures. ...none of this happened.
Find a teenager. ..they'll show how to use your cell..Dell..sing in the shower......supersize your fries... spike your hair...sleep till noon, etc. They're pretty darn useful.
Good luck.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:06:06 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »
So you are shaming me into not only doing service work but also learning high tech stuff like adding pictures. Well, if the service work is simple enough for me to do, I can find someone to do it for me.

As to the pictures, I like your idea about someone that can also teach me the finer things in life.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »
So you are shaming me into not only doing service work but also learning high tech stuff like adding pictures. Well, if the service work is simple enough for me to do, I can find someone to do it for me.

As to the pictures, I like your idea about someone that can also teach me the finer things in life.

Adjust valves; Check
Work on brakes; Check
Install aftermarket stuff; Check
Change oil and filters; Check
Post photos; NOT A CLUE

2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
Adjust valves; Check
Work on brakes; Check
Install aftermarket stuff; Check
Change oil and filters; Check
Post photos; NOT A CLUE

Check +1

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 12:57:11 AM »
If you have a shop do the gear oil change tell them it needs 8o/Z cause a lot of them will fill it to the drain hole.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()