Author Topic: Took A Tumble.  (Read 2960 times)

imaginetheory

• View Profile
Took A Tumble.
« on: September 13, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
It's been raining heavily on and off all day. I still had to go out and work though. While on my way to a emergency call out 40 miles away, I was heading down a dual carriageway (two lane road) and had a car try to make a lane change without indicating or checking mirrors.. at 65mph. I went on my horn, but the driver either didn't care or couldn't hear me over their music. I Could Not brake heavily to avoid being hit from the side because of a truck behind me so had no choice but to put myself into the hard shoulder.. which quickly turned into a grass embankment and I went tumbling  :(

Brand new scooter too, 150 miles on the clock!

Im absolutely fine, I was wearing all of my gear. My helmet is battered but did its job. Im actually glad that I wasn't using my cheapo helmet today. I have a bruise to my arm but that's about it. Another good one to tell newbies - wear your gear! Could have been so much worse. Ill be able to post what pictures I have as soon as the police investigation is done with.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
sorry to hear you had a wreck but,
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
very glad you were not seriously hurt. Seems like when bad things happen, it happens in the blink of an eye.
About two summers ago, I was sitting at a red light holding both brakes. This idiot comes up and rear ends me. $300 in damage to my scoot. I came out of it with just a bruised ankle. The guy was driving with a revoked licenses and NO insurance.
This spring, I was making a U turn on a country road and dropped my scoot on myself. My left leg was pinned under it. Lucky I had my riding boots on. No injuries that time. Just hurt pride and a couple of scratches to my scoot. Pissed me off. Guess i`m getting a little careless in my old age.
boo
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

imaginetheory

• View Profile
Re: Took A Tumble.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:22:37 PM »
very glad you were not seriously hurt. Seems like when bad things happen, it happens in the blink of an eye.
About two summers ago, I was sitting at a red light holding both brakes. This idiot comes up and rear ends me. $300 in damage to my scoot. I came out of it with just a bruised ankle. The guy was driving with a revoked licenses and NO insurance.
This spring, I was making a U turn on a country road and dropped my scoot on myself. My left leg was pinned under it. Lucky I had my riding boots on. No injuries that time. Just hurt pride and a couple of scratches to my scoot. Pissed me off. Guess i`m getting a little careless in my old age.
boo

I was rear ended earlier this year too, Ended up being pushed a fair distance and got some knee issues for life. This is my second off this year. Luckily the police are fairly on top of catching unlicensed and uninsured drivers over here and everyone involved in both offs had insurance. Unfortunately it just seems to be the season for people having offs, I just think that its good to use these offs and share the experiences to try to convince new riders to wear protective gear.

It also seems that the standard of driving has somewhat dropped over the past year or two, People just dont care and aren't as aware/alert as they should be.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 10:47:35 PM »
Sorry to hear this, but glad you escape relatively unharmed. Since your helmet took a beating go to your doctor and have him/her hopefully rule out a concussion.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 12:14:07 AM »
Glad you guys are ok.   

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 02:16:20 AM »
Brother, I'm SOOOOOO glad that you're ok. And you are another testimony to others in favor of wearing your gear. No one plans on having an accident. Again, I'm so thankful that you are ok.
2009 Xciting 250

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I am 67 years old
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:48 PM »
Been driving since I was fifteen. In all these years I have never seen so many bad and careless drivers as now.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:28:04 PM »
Brother, I'm SOOOOOO glad that you're ok. And you are another testimony to others in favor of wearing your gear. No one plans on having an accident. Again, I'm so thankful that you are ok.
We never plan for it but we should prepare for it, each time we twist the throttle we know the risks that we are taking.

Been driving since I was fifteen. In all these years I have never seen so many bad and careless drivers as now.
Its because people are taught to pass a TEST not taught to DRIVE and drive well.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 11:31:33 PM »
Glad to hear you're okay. That's a strong check for the 'Wear your gear' box too. I try to avoid riding in the rain, but sometimes you're just caught and have no choice to ride through, or find a place to pull over. In the rain it's harder to see things, especially in a mirror. Generally, drivers, or riders can only make out headlights. Some bikes only have singular lights which can blend in with a vehicle behind them which has two. This can make guessing the distance in relation to a driver confusing or feel farther away. 

Not saying the guy who only hit you wasn't at fault, but the danger can be increased in bad conditions. Since there's a police investigation does that mean the guy stopped, or did they just catch him?

- Wolf

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 12:07:49 AM »
I am glad you are alright! Thanks for the reminder about wearing protective gear.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 09:13:37 AM »
Glad to hear you're okay. That's a strong check for the 'Wear your gear' box too. I try to avoid riding in the rain, but sometimes you're just caught and have no choice to ride through, or find a place to pull over. In the rain it's harder to see things, especially in a mirror. Generally, drivers, or riders can only make out headlights. Some bikes only have singular lights which can blend in with a vehicle behind them which has two. This can make guessing the distance in relation to a driver confusing or feel farther away. 

Not saying the guy who only hit you wasn't at fault, but the danger can be increased in bad conditions. Since there's a police investigation does that mean the guy stopped, or did they just catch him?

- Wolf
Because of the work I do, I cant avoid riding in rain sometimes. Theres not alot dangerous about it, if you do it correctly. Ive ridden through all types of weather including rain, thunderstorms, hail, snow, fog, you name it.. this is the first time Ive had a off in wet weather. Would I do anything differently? Not really.

I have a copy of the truck drivers dash cam footage and the driver slowed to a near stop and then sped off, Followed by a biker who had witnessed the whole thing to his place of employment where the police subsequently arrested him for failing to stop at the scene of a RTC and dangerous/careless driving.

The police investigate every RTC that is reported to them to have a record of what happened for insurance companies etc and to rule out any wrong doing/blame + if there is blame to see if it would be in the public's interest to charge anyone who is to blame. As far as I know they are now gathering evidence to be able to take this to court. They have asked me and the truck driver not to release footage/pictures until its all done with in court etc etc which is fair enough.

They usually show up to every RTC called in too as they are usually closer than an ambulance and any officer driving a patrol vehicle has to pass advanced first aid courses I believe.

Apparently when the truck driver got to me I told him "that was a nice crash"  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:16:27 AM by imaginetheory »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »
By using the RTC term I take it you're in the UK? Hard to avoid the rain out there. Could be a Philadelphia thing where I work, but People around my area are crazy enough under dry conditions. I try not to risk it when it's raining. That's generally a 'take the car, or train' day for me. Plus, I've never liked parking my bike in the rain, even if I bring my tarp.

Glad to hear the police where able to catch the guy. Hope he covers your repair and any medical cost.

- Wolf

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 12:45:25 PM »
By using the RTC term I take it you're in the UK? Hard to avoid the rain out there. Could be a Philadelphia thing where I work, but People around my area are crazy enough under dry conditions. I try not to risk it when it's raining. That's generally a 'take the car, or train' day for me. Plus, I've never liked parking my bike in the rain, even if I bring my tarp.

Glad to hear the police where able to catch the guy. Hope he covers your repair and any medical cost.

- Wolf
Yes, Im from the land of Tea, Crumpets and Rain  ;D Im just used to calling them RTCs as usually its very rarely a accident, so until proven as such its a RTC.  ::)

You just learn to get on with the rain and adapt to it. Usually after a nice long dry stint like we have just had everyone is a bit more careful but this guy wasn't haha.

I have good business insurance on my scooters, They did good on my last one, they'll do good on this one. Bike is a wreck, I wouldn't even try to repair it and its what I do for a living. I would drive but I dont have business insurance on my car so if its a work thing and its raining, Tough, Saddle up.  :)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 06:40:52 PM »
Good to hear you're covered. Nothing's worse than being left high and dry. In some states, or cities in the US, if someone cuts in front of you, or cuts you off in a lane change, and your crash the police often rule the fault as yours as they cite failure on your part to operate your bike. As horrible as it sounds you have to be hit for the other guy to be at fault.

Ride safe,

Wolf

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 01:12:48 AM »
Its because people are taught to pass a TEST not taught to DRIVE and drive well.
That's exactly right. Not near enough time behind the wheel is required of drivers these days. And how to avoid an accident/evasive maneuvering is hardly ever mentioned, let alone practiced. Nor is driving in the dark. The system in Finland at least addresses some of these situations:

"The training for B class license requires 18 hours of instructed driving, including a spell on a slippery driving course, and 19 theory lessons. After this, the person must pass a computerized theory test and a driving test in city traffic with a minimum length of 30 minutes. C class training is similar, but longer, including time spent driving in nighttime and adverse weather conditions."

We definitely need some serious changes in driver training, for sure. And a way to minimize distractions!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()