Author Topic: Running lights & Riding to Miss Raccoons  (Read 684 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Running lights & Riding to Miss Raccoons
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
Seems to be a bunch of cars running around with only one head light.
Folks seem able to spot me in the dark OK - and I credit some of that to the bright amber running lights on my LIKE.
The three-light figure coming at them tells them it is a motorcycle of some sort, I think.

Amber incandescent bulb .....

Raining again, so had to sit inside at Tim's because some knuckle-head manager took down the umbrellas. (I'm texting Canada to complain) That's my scooter in the lot.
..Vivo said Kymcos don't mind the rain....nearly 4yrs later I'd have to agree.

Coming home on dark wet streets today I was reminded of the importance of riding in tire tracks rather that lane centers when following traffic in the dark. In the middle of a 40mph bend lay a very large dead Raccoon. He was in the center of the lane so I had to make no steering adjustments for him. I remembered the post by a female LIKE rider (Florida I think) who had to run over a large Raccoon because she was riding in lane center when it suddenly came out from the car in front of her. I filed that away - and use it especially in the dark. Add wet glaring roads and you'd have little chance of spotting it in time.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:36:29 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Running lights & Riding to Miss Raccoons
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:42:19 PM »
First picture looks like one of the small craft in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind!" Dead raccoon, large in the road could be a hazard. Lemme check, definitely a hazard, yep!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

PaulF

• View Profile
Re: Running lights & Riding to Miss Raccoons
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:53:46 PM »
I believe another good reason for riding in the tire tracks instead on the middle would be it would be a lot cleaner.   Cars leaking oil from their sumps would drop the oil in the middle.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()