Author Topic: Help picking new scooter and  (Read 6038 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Help picking new scooter and
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »
Hi guys, sorry I've been absent lately as our business has really picked up and I've been super busy. The good news though is I now have the money for another scooter as long as Deb is harmonious with it. She knows how much I loved my People S200 the short time I owned it and hoped the day would come when I could get another Kymco.
On
Found a 2012 Like 200i with 3k for a grand on the Dallas CL. Blue and white like yours Stig and was ridden by a college kid for a few years. Original owner but has been dropped a few times and says some of the plastic is scratched but not broken and apparently broke a mirror which was replaced. Asked about service and said he did the oil change at 600 miles and one more so sounds like minimal service. The price is reasonable and probably would offer 800. I asked him to send me some pics of the Tupperware scratches tonight before committing to driving 150 miles to Dallas to see it. Does this sound like something I should pass on?

Another is a 2015 Anniversary edition with 95 miles in show room condition for 1995.00. It's a gorgeous scoter and I can afford it too ( not both of course). I'd love to have that scooter but it's double the price. What would you guys do?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:41:06 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: Help picking new scooter and
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:45:22 PM »
Test ride it and as long as its just cosmetic damages those can be fixed or ignored. Lots of people use stickers to hide blemishes. The anniversary edition would be nice as 95 miles is nothing and you should still be under warranty, but as you say its double the price. Other than paint scheme the scooters are identical. Let us know what you end up with. Good luck!

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:59:33 PM »
I would spend the extra $$ and get the newer one, but that's just me. Is the college kid being honest? Minimal service? Did he just drop it a couple of times or was it something else.I would try to make a non insulting offer on the anniversary edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:13:40 PM »
Thanks for your input. Waiting on pics from seller of 2012 Like. If the road rash is minimal may spring for it but have to say the Anniversary model is one handsome scoot. May ask for Deb's input too.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 03:10:03 AM »
Well, the pics came in tonight and the road rash appeared on nearly all the plastic and on both sides including the top box, exhaust  and a damaged brake lever. If I were a beginner and looking for a first bike that I might drop too, this would be a good bike. I am going to pass and test the waters with Deb regarding the Anniversary model.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:08:54 AM »
Good luck, Scooter Dan. I'm in the same boat, as you, when it comes to buying new toys. Always have to check with the CFO!! Lol.

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
Another scooter that has my interest is a 2011 Genuine Buddy 170i, Hunter Green for 1700.00. Looks like a one owner who bought a pair for he and his wife and has 587 miles. Looks very clean and probably in perfect condition. It also has a top box. What do y'all think of this scooter? I realize there's going to be allot of Kymco bias here but scooter owners generally have owned different brands and sometimes have more than one in the stable. Looks tiny to me with those 10" wheels. Kinda cute though. I'm not a big guy at 5'7" and 180 so I think I can fit on one of this size. I'll still keep my Honda Silverwing for 2up riding with Deb and for long distance cruising. But man O man did I have fun with my People S200 riding around town. Nothing like a small scooter to bring out the fun of riding.

Yes, you're right Pipster, the final say will be my wife to get her blessings. I hope this flies with her this time?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:04:45 PM by Scooter Dan »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
Really stuck on the  LIKE200i ?
Seems like the $2K area might find you a nice big wheeled Kymco or the SH150 Honda....with a bit of search and willingness to travel??
I don't  see that used anniversary  model as having an exceptional price.
Have seen new with warranty leftover  LIKE200i 's for $1999.00.
A big wheel scooter  is what you enjoyed so much....with fall coming on you might just score one for your avail. funds.
Many folks have trouble  getting  $2000 for their LIKE200i. ...or even $1500 if used. Scoot does not seem to have strong resale value  in the real world. Me? I'd  negotiate politely around $1500-$1700 for the gold one. And walk away with a hand shake if not possible. Too many good scoots out there for @$2,000.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
Really stuck on the  LIKE200i ?
Seems like the $2K area might find you a nice big wheeled Kymco or the SH150 Honda....with a bit of search and willingness to travel??
I don't  see that used anniversary  model as having an exceptional price.
Have seen new with warranty leftover  LIKE200i 's for $1999.00.
A big wheel scooter  is what you enjoyed so much....with fall coming on you might just score one for your avail. funds.
Many folks have trouble  getting  $2000 for their LIKE200i. ...or even $1500 if used. Scoot does not seem to have strong resale value  in the real world. Me? I'd  negotiate politely around $1500-$1700 for the gold one. And walk away with a hand shake if not possible. Too many good scoots out there for @$2,000.
Stig

Good points Tom and well taken. I'm not particularly attached to the Like however I do like the retro Vespa look and that's why I've also considered the Buddy 170. And you're right the seller of the Anniversary model is selling at top dollar. I just liked the look of it. I missed out on a Downtown 300i for 2200 yesterday and that would have been a sweet scoot. I pitched the idea this morning to Deb about getting another small scooter and am considering getting a pet carrier for Toby, our 6 pound Yorkie (part Yorkie/Maltese). The jury us still out though on a new scoot as Deb hasn't said yea or nay yet. Fingers are crossed though. And yes Tom, I'm looking at all possibilities in that price range.  As for big wheel scooters, I have one with my SW as I always have that for the big scooter feel which is why I'm considering something smaller. Thing is though, I've never owned a bike with midget wheels?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:23:36 PM by Scooter Dan »

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »
I own both a Buddy 170i and a Buddy 125 and love them. Of all the scoots I own, these are my favorites to ride. They are rock solid reliable, fast and very little vibration. I have to say that I like them more than my Like 200's. They are just a blast to ride and unlike my Likes, I can easily fit two of them in the bed of my 2015 Chevy Colorado.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
Dan, what part of the world are you in?
If you''re in my neck of the world you could rent a buddy, & see if you like it.
Far as reliability, they seem to to OK, but probably have their foibles. http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/ would have more on that

Cheers
Tromper
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 10:29:01 PM »
I've never owned a bike with midget wheels?
Me neither....certainly would not want to go smaller than 12" wheels.....city streets are too rough, too often.
Maybe Buddies and Vespas have much better suspension to deal with it?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 12:56:08 AM »
Y'all might be roaring over this but the Honda Grom is also on my short list. BTW, the Buddy 170i sold today and the Anniversary Like, the seller had sellers remorse and is unavailable.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
I agree with Stig, I wouldn't get anything with less than 12" wheels. I have the DT300 and I have a little 150cc Lance Venice. I just ride the Venice, around my neighborhood, so the battery will stay charged. You can't even compare the ride, as far as stability and cornering. Bumps and potholes.... Fahgetaboutit!!!!!

I'm sure you will find something you like at a reasonable price.

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
A Grom@@@"#%!! :)
Ah....nothing wrong with those little guys i guess. With a SW in the house you already know about Hondas. With oil changes the thing will probably last forever!
How about sitting a K-Pipe from Kymco?  Bigger. Cheaper.
A clean leftover Vino 125? Those are pretty scoots....wine color  like your SW.
Living vicariously here....
Stig

Take your time searching....buying a scooter  is fun.
Flood damaged Ducati  Monster!!??
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()