Author Topic: Help picking new scooter and  (Read 6035 times)

SteveADV

• View Profile
Re: Help picking new scooter and
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 08:39:35 PM »
Take your time searching....buying a scooter  is fun.....

Yup, that's for sure.

Hey Dan, FWIW, I test drove a Vespa 300 something or other before trying the gt300i and was a little uncomfortable on the 12" wheels (I'm a Triumph Explorer dual sport guy with no real scooter experience). The 16" wheels on the 300i were a lot like a motorcycle to me with the scooter advantages. I REALLY have been amazed at how much I like the 300i set up with its broad range of uses. Had minor knee surgery this past Monday and got yelled at by my wife when she found me out in the garage sitting on my 300i (with crutches leaning against the bike ;D).

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 12:34:11 AM »
A Grom@@@"#%!! :)

That was my wife's reaction and she called it a mini bike. They look like a hoot though. However.....I've been getting the evil eye today from my other half about another bike. Geez, I thought it was about the $ and now that there's plenty available.....?? I just can't figure it out. May have to abandon this whole thing. I'm going to go over and sit in the corner. :-\
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:36:57 AM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »
She may be developing "scooter envy" Dan. Does this sound familiar, "Sometimes you spend more time on those scooters than with me....." If that is the case buy flowers and take her out to a nice restaurant and explain that you want to replace one of your older, obsolete, worn out scooters with a newer and SAFER one.  That way you can spend more healthy quality time with her.  ;) ;) ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 11:53:25 AM »
She may be developing "scooter envy" Dan. Does this sound familiar, "Sometimes you spend more time on those scooters than with me....." If that is the case buy flowers and take her out to a nice restaurant and explain that you want to replace one of your older, obsolete, worn out scooters with a newer and SAFER one.  That way you can spend more healthy quality time with her.  ;) ;) ;)

Now that's funny, thanks for the laugh, I needed that. Actually though, I've been spending less time in the saddle and have given up so many things related to riding like spending time with her now on Saturdays instead of riding with our local bike club and gave up meet and greets with a Goldwing club I used to go to. Now about the only ride time I'm doing is going to Home Depot or the coffee shop and only occasionally.  This really depesses me and I'm sorry for the catharsis guys. I just feel bummed out over this whole matter. Well, at least I have my SW and if that's the only one I can have it is one sweet bike.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »
May be you can find a compromise. I get the guilt hit from my wife when I ride too often on the weekends and she's out running around taking the kids here and there. I came up with a compromise. She and the kids generally sleep in on the weekends. So I get up with the roosters and ride for hours and return home around 10:00 am. The benefit is huge. No nagging from the one who must be obeyed, cool mornings, fresh air and very few vehicles on the road.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 05:31:50 PM »
Heck I just make sure my wife has a scoot she likes to ride, but I'm just kinda practical that way. ::)
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »
I generally get the opposite. My wife's the one who orders me to take her for a ride. Scooter Therapy, as she calls it, because it allows her to get away from things and relax. I actually get the stink-eye if I dare think about going for a ride without her.

Friday was our Anniversary, and I have Monday off today. What are we doing? Riding. I think TroutBum's idea is the best. Mornings are the best because the world is essentially asleep. Just watch out for deer and other animals, and avoid roads that have what I call the Contractor Rush Hours. These are the early risers who have to get to a work site early, and cause congestion before the normal rush hour commuters.

- Wolf

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »
I know alot of Grom riders if you're thinking bout one maybe you should check out the Kymco K Pipe it's about 1K cheaper brand new I believe
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 08:31:52 PM »
Well, at least I have my SW and if that's the only one I can have it is one sweet bike.
Yeah, these SWs are not exactly a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
For my $$ the Honda SilverWings are the tops in the USA scooter world.
A bunch of us ride much smaller scooters ....and find our rides to be plenty fast and a lot of fun - even handsome designs, some of them.
As a longtime aircooled VW owner - we VW nuts always longed for one thing ...to own a Stuttgart built Porsche.
For some of us scooter owners - the Japanese built Honda Silver Wing is the same thing.
Though I understand your upset - your situation could be a lot worse, but you know that.

Well done in your relationship with both of your beauties.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 01:49:03 AM »
Had a talk tonight with my family and I have some soul searching to do about my selfishness. And the ideas shared here about finding more appropriate times to ride like in the early morning that doesn't interfere with time with my family is spot on. So, thanks guys for all you've shared and hope to chime in with Stig and others with some early morning coffee ride pics on my SW.

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 02:02:54 AM »
.....hope to chime in with Stig and others with some early morning coffee ride pics on my SW.

Now yah got it Dan. You'll get out. Get to explore. Experience the freedom we can talk about but not really explain to those that don't ride. Looking forward to your first report.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »
May be you can find a compromise. I get the guilt hit from my wife when I ride too often on the weekends and she's out running around taking the kids here and there. I came up with a compromise. She and the kids generally sleep in on the weekends. So I get up with the roosters and ride for hours and return home around 10:00 am. The benefit is huge. No nagging from the one who must be obeyed, cool mornings, fresh air and very few vehicles on the road.
Perfect  solution  there Trout and Dan!
Exactly what I do. And for the same benefits you're  finding.
Plus getting out of the sack at 5:00am is good for the ........something.
I'm  home on school days for the 7:45 school run and then the 8:15 three mile forced march with the puppy. She loves climbing those hills...and if it doesn't  kill me - is probably good for me.
I played golf every Sat. for 20 yrs.....at day break. The starter let me pay when I came off the 18th. Freq. out there with the guys mowing the greens. Home by 10:30 with them all still in their jammies.
Hobbies can be worked with a family.
We can sleep in when we get old. !!
Stig

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:21:45 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
You guys are the greatest. Going to roam our off beat coffee shops as we have several and test drive their coffee and figure out opening times. Another opportunity to ride that doesn't take away from the family is to just use the scooter instead of the car for those short hops to the grocery store for some creamer or an avocado. My SW has better than 50 litres under the seat and Givi top box is 46 litres. I can haul allot of groceries on board. Geez, I could start another side business as a scooter shopper for the home bound.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »
Yup, that's for sure.

... Had minor knee surgery this past Monday and got yelled at by my wife when she found me out in the garage sitting on my 300i (with crutches leaning against the bike ;D).
Hey, that makes you our kind of person! I rode for 6 weeks with a medical boot thingy on my right foot (fracture) last year despite the wife's protests. And she often finds me sitting on my scooter in the garage whimpering when the snow flies.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I got to wondering. When you get up early to ride and stop for coffee are you getting the first fresh brewed pot of the day or last night's remains? Just curious.  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()