Author Topic: WTF? Bizzare accident...  (Read 860 times)

Kymsec99

• View Profile
WTF? Bizzare accident...
« on: October 29, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »
  No damage to me or bike luckily as it was about 5mph!
Was in town and seeking a parking spot across the road. The maneuver was a half circle of around 2.5 car widths from a standstill. Saw my chance, moved with slight lean and little throttle....and the front wheel just disappeared left. Me and my bike in the floor! Swear I didn't have hand on front brake, although was shadowing it till throttle use.
I checked the road for any oil or wet stuff, but nothing other than good tarmac.
  I had a cheap front tyre recently, not run in yet, still shiny on far edges. Also new pads and pistons had only about 30 miles of road. Did replace master cylinder which holds good pressure and seems smooth.
Is it possible front disc brakes can lock up without lever use? I have checked the brakeline and no restriction there!
Could it be a front forks suspension issue?...The bike only past its MOT days ago and I watched the man test EVERYTHING!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: WTF? Bizzare accident...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
Probably  related to the "saw my chance" moment.
Nylon tires, throttle impulses, balance, new brake parts, sharp turns....that salad can get exciting on two wheels.
Keep running in the new bits....in a straight line...and you'll  likely never have another of those small WTHeck moments.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
How and why are sometimes never known. Good thing it all turned out ok.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Kymsec99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:32:52 PM »
Thanks Dan.
Not afraid of riding the bike and will be for another 6 months or so.
But I don't like how easy it is to flip small bikes like my 125. I was used to the weight and power of tame 250's, 200 Benlys, Superdreams and 1 lovely Kawasaki Z250, (man was that 1 fun!).
Was aiming to get a Yamaha 600 Diversion, but maybe too much weight. I can handle the 60bhp power easily enough.
The Z250 had 33bhp and was almost half the weight of a Divvy.

Kymsec99

• View Profile
Re: WTHeck? Bizzare accident...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
Have looked at other forums too and many say Nylon tyres are quite lethal on small bikes!
I am gonna take 3 or 4lbs of air out, currently 0.5lb overinflated max. My rear was underinflated by 4lbs and rode fine.
The tyre, (front) has only 40 miles from new, so I'm hoping it wears quicker over a slightly wider width, being less air in it. I wll lean the bike a bit less in the dry and much less in the wet (knee guards for me hehe!).
I don't care about wearing it out too quickly, I want to replace it quickly if grip doesn't improve much.
Will give it 200+ miles before I start adding more air, 1lb at a time.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
nothing wrong with scoot
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 10:40:21 PM »
You turned the scoot too tight and locked on you, and threw you.
I did the same thing back in the spring of this year. I was making a slow U turn on a country road. I turned tight, the scoot threw me so fast I could not believe it. I was laying on the ground with the scoot on my left ankle. I managed to pull my leg free. I was not hurt. It scratched my scoot some and really pissed me off.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Kymsec99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 02:21:44 AM »
Yep, thats about it. After all, I suppose the bike quite top heavy and theres only 100mm of tyre to sit it all on.
I got away with it very lightly too!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()