Author Topic: Need advice from the ZX-50 GURU'S VIDDY ADDED  (Read 12821 times)

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice from the ZX-50 GURU'S VIDDY ADDED
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 05:30:37 AM »
I may as well check the reeds and pull the exhaust, I have nothing to lose.

in my other CDI thread it was mentioned that I try icing the CDI. I figure putting  Hard Drives in the freezer gets them to work long enough to pull the info off them why not CDI's so I froze my CDI and I got no spark @ all until it warmed up then it only idled as usual no matter what I did.

2morrow I'll look @ the reeds and pull the exhaust.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 05:48:32 AM »
That sounds like flooding to me also! You have a lot of pulsing noise. I just may change my bet (if I can ) to a broken reed. The vid is a great big help, as well as your description of how you cleaned the carb. It still could be low compression, or a hung ring, (same thing) but a broken reed will give the same symptom. Try a compression check too. It won't hurt to check these few things. The cdi in the freezer bugs me too. I can't figure why it would not start when cold except for the higher resistance of colder components. I am sure curious about this one!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
It kinda sounds like it's running real rich and bogging.  Have you tried pulling the exhaust off and starting it without?  The exhaust may be partially plugged.  Also try slowing covering the carb with your fingers when it's idling to see if you can get it too lean out a bit and rev up.  It just seems odd to me that it would idle and have a bad cdi.  I somewhat suspect something different, be it the stator or voltage regulator causing the cdi to go haywire, or something with the intake/exhaust system not flowing properly.  Have you pulled the reed block off to inspect it?

I don't know if you meant put my hand over the carb. a bit and see if I can get it to run richer & faster @ WOT?

If so I tried that and it idled as usual, my thinking was more gas more rpm's but no dice.

I have my list of things to do 2morrow....

Exiter coil/pulsar coil insp.

resistor insp.

reg/rectiffier insp.

A.C. generator (charging coil) insp.

insp. Reeds

insp. exhaust

Compression check

not necessarily in that order!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:25:49 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 06:05:53 AM »
You forgot a beer run! Just kidding. The hit list will go fast! Since you will be all into the scoot, Pull the flywheel, and clean the magnets w/ a bit of sandpaper. Same goes for the pulsar tip, and the trigger. I have seen poor performance due to grime on these surfaces. just not quite so bad.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 01:24:56 PM »
It doesn't flood UNTIL I put my hand over the opening in the carb. Otherwise it will just sound like its bogging @ WOT because I have the air filter off and it amplifying the extra air it's sucking in. When it's running and I spray starter fluid in it to try and get it to pick up RPM's it floods it out instead.

I'll have a better idea after I knock out the easy stuff like reeds,compression and muffler.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:16:59 PM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »
OK ZX-50 fans here are the results to my.....Exhaust chk,reed chk and compression test.

Looking @ the reeds;

CIMG3675.MOV

exhaust ck

CIMG3676.MOV

And compression test;

CIMG3677.MOV

let me know what you guys think?

I'm in the process exciter/pulsar coil 80-160 ohms its reading 100 ohms

resistor A 9.9-10.5 ohms reading 7
resistor B 5.6-6.2 ohms reading 5

UPDATE....;

REGULATOR/RECTIFIER INSPECTION

BETWEEN A/B 3-10 ohms im reading 150 ohms

the other to readings I'm getting nothing @ all so I know me reg/rec is toast.

now I'm on to the rectifier so chew on this awhile.....LOL

FEEL FREE TO DIAGNOSE MY PROBLEM SO I CAN GET MY SCOOTS GOIN.......PLEASE!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:27:09 PM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »
This is what has me thinking its the CDI.

This is just a small part of it but it idles fine until I move the CDI then it will just die.

CIMG3678.MOV
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »
It's your voltage regulator and the two resistors!  I went through this same process with mine and thought it was the cdi as well.  Replace those and I'm almost certain it will fix your problem! 

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2010, 10:49:57 PM »
You spit that out like a answer for jeopardy  or some sh*t SHAKA ! LOL

But did you see every time I moved the CDI iot stalled? It seemed if the CDI wasn't in the right position it would not spark/start.

Don't get me wrong, if I don't need to buy a CDI.......

You think thats the reason though why it won't accelerate?
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2010, 11:11:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure!  A bad voltage seems to cause the cdi's to go haywire!  At least that was my experience.  When it happened to me, I could start it and it would idle, although not well.  When I'd try to ride it it would barely go.  It would studder and spit and only go about 15-20 mph.  It progressively got worse to where it would barely start, basically where you are at now.  Replace the regulator and those 2 resistor, they are cheaper than a cdi! 

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2010, 12:35:55 AM »
COO,COO,COOL !

Will do then! Found a Kymco parts dealer right down the street, as long as their stealership prices aren't TOO BAD, I'll get them there!

i gots to wait till Monday 9A, thats when they open.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:21:52 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2010, 12:39:59 AM »
I just looked at my receipt and I paid $30.49 for the regulator and 19.99 for the resistors.  Good luck!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2010, 12:16:45 AM »
Found a Kymco parts dealer right down the street

..dang...wish i had me one of those....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2010, 12:20:59 AM »
There does appear to be a broken wire in the harness. The reg is obviously toast as the readings confirm. The cdi wire has to be isolated. If there is a break the AC voltage is high enough to JUMP that tiny gap. You were right all along rob.

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2010, 01:09:23 AM »
Lets not jump the gun yet !

It's no very easy trying to diagnose a problem if whatever is being worked on isn't sitting in front of someone seeing & hearing EXACTLY what it's doing. If I was a little more ambitious I would have pulled the front fairing of in the first place and checked that too instead of dragging my feet with the other stuff.

Without this forum I STILL would have no clue what was wrong with muh scoot!

Anywho I ordered the rectifier $32.82 + tax and both resistors $24.89 + tax I held off on the CDI (it was $52) hoping I can limp through until I can get one from SUTAI which reminds me.......It's 9a there now so Ima try to order one now!

I would have updated sooner but I went right to work on my pressure washer that blew up because the governor worked loose and snapped a rod.

I'll have another update Thursday.

Zombie I have another question for you.....Is the De-restricted CDI from SUTAI better than the regular CDI KYMCO one from the dealer? I already have the Ans to that one....the answer is YES!

Also I was reading the other thread where you said It would cost me $120 for a new CDI & ballast? What is this "ballast" your talking about and order from where?

Thank you ahead of time for the reply!

UPDATE.....; I just tried calling SUTIA in TIAPEI, TIAWAN and they gave me a number to China?
00986519100132 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              00986519100132      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              00986519100132      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              00986519100132      end_of_the_skype_highlighting ?

AND that number is to IRAN....!

I can't get through with the number they gave me to ?China? they gave me. I tried calling Taiwan again and it sounds like a bunch of Taiwanese guys sitting around in a room NONE of whom speaks ENGLISH!

LOL Anyone speak TAIWANESE?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:50:40 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()