Author Topic: Alignment Issues?  (Read 1249 times)

scootergirl

• View Profile
Alignment Issues?
« on: November 22, 2016, 02:26:12 AM »
I brought my Like 200i in for servicing.  The problem?  I went out riding about a month ago, and it felt like the alignment was out of whack.  My husband and I were meeting up at a friend's place for dinner (we arrived separately; he was coming from work).  I wasn't sure if it was just me, so I had him ride it home for feedback.  He figured it was the alignment as well, but also noted that it rode "heavy".  Earlier this week he was going to ride it to the mechanic, but we ended up opting for a tow...it felt even worse.  The problem, other than the above?  The mechanic (licensed Kymco mechanic and dealer for many years) has run all kinds of tests on the scooter, and cannot figure out what's going on.  On the hoist it's fine, on the road, well, see above.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Alignment Issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:55:48 AM »
Hi scooter girl. When you say Alignment issues are you saying the tires are not tracking straight? You can check that by placing your bike on the center stand. Next you will need a straight edge that is long enough to reach the outer most part of the front and rear tires. Place the straight edge under the scoot.  Find you two cans or something to rest the straight edge on. You will want the straight edge to touch  the rear tire on the rear and the front, up as high as possible without the SE touching the bottom of the bike. Have someone hold the SE so that is does not move. Now go to the front and place it on your can, or whatever you are using. Now get a ruler and turn the front tire left or right until the rubber on the tire is about the same distance from the SE on the front and rear of the tire.
Now this is the important part. Make sure you place the ruler on same place on the tire at both ends.
If there is a raised place around the side wall, use that in both places. If there is writing on one end, but now the other, rotate the tire until the places where you take your measurement are the same. Now turn the tire l or r . If you can get the exact same measurement both places between the tire and the SE then you are in perfect alignment. Sound complicated but it's not.
About the only way for the tracking to be off would be a bent frame or the front forks twisted in the triple trees. Neither is likely. Hope this helps.

Mac, aka ole two wheels
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 06:47:53 AM »
Did you recently install new tire? If so, look to see if the tire tread is facing the right direction. There are indicator arrows that tell you which direction to install so the treads are rotating in the correct direction.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »
Me, I'm liking troutbum's backwards front tire....hope it's that easy a fix.
Stig
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:41:40 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
Yes I agree. Both tires are directional and as such could cause ill handling. A directional tire mounted wrong could, over time, self destruct and be very dangerous. Low air pressure would cause the steering to feel heavy. I'll bet a good look at that front tire will solve your problem. Let us know.

Mac, aka ole two wheels
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:05:10 AM »
If its not the tires. It could be the front forks need to be tighted up.or you have a bend rim.or even bad bearings.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()