Author Topic: Advanced rider training  (Read 2878 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Advanced rider training
« on: December 02, 2016, 09:41:08 PM »
Hinted strongly as a possible Christmas gift the Advance Rider course in Jackson, TN. There are actually two such courses, one at Jackson State Community College and another at the Harley dealer. Neither one seemed too interested in returning calls or answering e-mails so we visited the Harley shop. Of course, the contact person was not there so we went home. We made a phone call and actually got to speak to the person in charge of such things. Well, she was not too interested in person. So I think I don't really need to work with such people.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced rider training
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
Sorry Karl,
You were probably looking forward to these classes.
Just as well you didn't end up paying for something so poorly organized.
ah well,
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:49:15 PM »
Yeah, I was, Stig. So far, anything offered around here concerning two wheels has been disappointing. Talking of MAFT and this training. Also, trying to be qualified as a MSF instructor was met with HUGE indifference.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:11:36 AM »
You think maybe it could have been because you were riding the wrong kind of bike? Those Harley riders don't seem to have a lot of regard for those riding "rice burners" When I was riding my hog, all the HD people would wave at me, but the days when I was on my Silverwing, they wouldn't even look my way. go figure.....

Mac, aka "ole Two Wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:35:45 AM »
Nah, Mac. They had no idea 'cause we were in the car!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 03:11:13 AM »
Karl, I didn't get alone with Bumpus HD all that well either and I bought several bikes from them. My middle daughter just bought a Sportster and is planning on going thru their training class in Memphis and I've urged her to do the MSF as well. When I started riding in the fifties most families were lucky if they owned one car and now there is 4 or 5 at each home. That was also far before cell phones which do not make our riding any safer. Just posted a new photo on my profile with my two daughters.

Mac, aka "ole two wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 03:56:50 AM »
Karl, I had the somewhat of the same experience with our local HD dealership. Their website advertised basic and advance level riding classes. I sent an email about the schedule for their advance class, and received a reply basically stating that they had received my inquiry, and would reply as soon as possible. They never wrote back, and I took that as their level of interest.

There was nothing in my letter that said I was a scooter rider either. Just bad customer service on their part.

- Wolf

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 06:20:02 PM »
Hey guys, I was more or less kidding about riding something other than a HD. I'm sure they would be glad to take money from anyone for their products or services. I have known Tim Bumpus for many years and thought we were on a first name basis. However I purchased a chrome oil filter from their Collierville store a few years ago and it came complete with oil in it. Clean oil, but oil, none rhe less. When I took it back, they accused me of trying to return a used filter, and it was used, but not by me. They just outright called me a liar. When I confronted Tim about this, he just said, "I'm sorry Mac." That was my last involvement with them. In my riding career I've ridden a lot of different brands and styles of two wheel vehicles and heck, I'll waive at anyone on any kind of bike. After all, it's all about the ride, right...

Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 08:25:13 PM »
I met the Bumpus guys several years ago and raved about how well they have done to upgrade the sight of the local "motorsickle" shop. Met one in Memphis and the one in Jackson. I guess they are only interested in selling bikes.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 05:24:24 AM »
Karl: It may not be their only interest, but you can bet it's a primary concern. Oh well, you live and learn. Rode the DT 300i Fri. before the rain. You know I really like that little scoot. Just enough power and throttle response to make it a fun ride. Only bike I ever owned that doesn't have a red line on the tact, all the way up to ten grand. I always thought the Japanese were the king of the high revving four strokes. Have a good restful Sunday guys.

Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 06:05:52 PM »
Hey guys, I was more or less kidding about riding something other than a HD... In my riding career I've ridden a lot of different brands and styles of two wheel vehicles and heck, I'll waive at anyone on any kind of bike. After all, it's all about the ride, right...

Wish there were more HD riders like you out there, Mac. I agree, it's about the ride and I will wave at anyone on two wheels, but often get snubbed. Most of the HD riders are pretty good about waving, but surprisingly the most stuck up attitude comes from the crotch rockets.

On the original topic, most of the MSF courses around here are really well run and very friendly, and actively pursue basic course riders to get them to take advance courses. Guess you could move here, Karl.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 06:34:31 PM »
Wish there were more HD riders like you out there, Mac. I agree, it's about the ride and I will wave at anyone on two wheels, but often get snubbed. Most of the HD riders are pretty good about waving, but surprisingly the most stuck up attitude comes from the crotch rockets.

On the original topic, most of the MSF courses around here are really well run and very friendly, and actively pursue basic course riders to get them to take advance courses. Guess you could move here, Karl.

the crotch rocket riders are to afraid to let go of the handle bars, cant wave,  Ive had a few of them hands on the bars and wave there fingers,.   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:37:09 PM by de dee »

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 09:37:23 PM »
Yelp, a big 10-4 on the crotch rocket riders. I think de dee probably has it right. I've only ridden one rocket in my life and I know I didn't want to take my hands off the bars. That's just not my kind of bike. I think they should all be confined to the road course. I'm a "feet forward" rider. That's the bad thing about that sort of bike, they seem to come with as an attitude.
Karl, are there any other places in our area that offer M/C safety classes beside the Harley shop?

Mac. aka "ole two wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »
Yes, at Jackson State Community College in Jackson, TN. That's the closest I know of in our area. Didja get my PM?

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 05:47:06 AM »
Karl I hate to tell you this, but I don't beans about a PC. What's a PM ? I finally got the pic of my DT 300i on here.

Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()