Author Topic: What is it with Honda drivers!?  (Read 1918 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
What is it with Honda drivers!?
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »
In the past year I have had a car pass me in a dangerous manner 3 times -- and each time it was a new looking Honda; 2 Accords and a CRV.
The gal in the CRV passed me on the right in my lane on a 25mph uphill left sweeper in a driving rain storm.
A senior in a white Accord passed me on the left - but in my lane - on a 45 mph road.
Both times I was on my Kymco LIKE200i and had to move smartly to keep from being hit.
2 days ago I caught sight in my Burgman 400 mirrors of another Accord moving to pass me on the right , in my lane, along a 35 mph street. I put on my signals and braked out of his path.

What am I doing wrong?
I think I know.
Each time I was riding at the posted speed limits - which so often puts me in the path, as a "blocker", to all those who want to drive as though the posted speeds are the minimums permitted by the State of Ohio. This is 90% of drivers in America.

Some riders ride slightly faster through the traffic flow to avoid this situation.
That goes against my nature - and seems to offer the chance for other problems with cars.

Ah well, this is why the very first mod I made to three scooters was to replace or extend the mirrors.
Just venting...and thinking again about a rear facing camera with bright red blinking light. (even a dummy one)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: What is it with Honda drivers!?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 04:07:02 AM »
Glad to hear you’re okay. Same thing happened to my wife and I about a year ago when we were riding in the next town over . The rider in this case was a BMW driver who passed us on a singe lane road on our right side. Without warning he just gunned his engine and forced himself past us.

For what ever reason a lot or riders think scooters aren’t ‘real’ vehicles, pretty much like a cyclist on the road, and they have the right to pass us, even if we’re doing the speed limit. Also, a lot of people are just a--holes.

Glad you’re all right,

- Wolf

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Stig
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
My experience has been that drivers in all kinds of cars are driving really crazy now days. I had two instances last week where two young girls were driving really bad. One almost sideswiped me. I think both were high on something.
I will soon be 67 years old. In my life time, I have never, and I mean never, seen so many bad drivers on the road.
Me and the wife see infractions every time we leave home. These careless drivers are maiming and killing people all over this country.
If I was a peace officer, I would be writing tickets right and left.
Last week, we had a couple of days of much need rain. I was out in the rain one of those days and saw three vehicles with no lights on driving in the rain and fog. Could barely see them. I our state, if it is raining and you have your wipers on, by law, you are supposed to have your head lights on. NOT!
Dangerous drivers are everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:09:05 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
Hell I don't even need to be on two wheels to see bad drivers or getting hit.
 The other day my youngest daughter and I were going to get her baby brother ant day care the light we were waiting for was just about changed to green for us to cross when I noticed a silver Accord doing close to 90-100KPH trying to make a light that is only red north-south for 45 seconds(we were crossing West-East) Just as my daughter(she is only 7) was ready to step onto the street I held her back just before he speed by her right foot at the curb well after the light turned red also just missed being hit by the Truck making a left turn. We watched as he almost plowed into the back of a car that turned right  a little while earlier (15-20 seconds?) and taking out a car in the left lane that went through the intersection just before it turned red.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »
You know Wolf, that's the way most bikers get it. A car making a left turn in front of you, when you have the right of way. Driver's now days just aren't paying much attention. Too many distractions, ie: cell phones. I also think it's a mental thing, where they know they are bigger than you and you can't hurt them, so they just take your right of way and if you are fool enough to call their bluff, guess who loses. I've always counted on the other guy, or gal, doing something stupid and prepared for it and it's saved me more than once. Ride safe guys.

Mac, aka "ole two wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 02:39:12 PM »
When a car/truck turns in front of a scooter/motorcycle  coming the opposite direction they dont realize the speed we are doing do to the lack of size which masks our speed.  I see it all the time as I am on my scooters or in my company cars.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »
I think Wolf said it all...a lot of people are just a--holes.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 02:05:47 AM »
Inconsiderate crazed drivers are everywhere. I pull over when I can, let them pass, and go on my way. Not worth holding your ground. You can't argue with a sick mind and you can't fix stupid. My buddy who rides an MC would disagree and he has violently removed side view mirrors when filtering past asshats.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »
Had a Honda driver do something not unsafe but really irritating yesterday. We pulled the KIA minivan up to a pump at a really busy gas station behind a Honda hatchback with a wing on the roof above that back hatch. Not unusual to wait at this place but this guy was not pumping gas. He was inside the car doing something, probably involving a cell phone. He got out when he was finally finished and the tried to find a card that would work in the gas pump. When he pulled away I could see he had decambered both the front and rear wheels and had lowered the thing so he was on the rubber snubbers at the bottom of the suspension travel. His tires were rubbing on the fender wells with each bump in the station ramp area. The only thing he didn't have was a big, stainless f__t cannon on the exhaust. Guess he ran out of money buying mis-matched white spoked wheels and extreme low-profile tires. What a moron! I can only imagine what his driving habits are!

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »
Idiot drivers have been out there as long as I have been driving and riding.  Luckily I live somewhere that the drivers seem to be above average at least for the U. S.   I am very seldom surprised by a driver doing something stupid.  I'm not saying they don't do stupid stuff.  It's just that it's seldom a surprise.  I try to be proactive when riding and it seems to work most of the time.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 04:06:33 AM »
A left hand turner nearly took me out this morning, and I was just walking.

With the morning temps below freezing I opted to take the train this morning and walk to the train station in our town. It was 6:30 am and I hadn't walked more than a block away from my home when I tried to cross a street. A car coming towards my block had her blinkers set to turn onto the road I was crossing. Already halfway across I realize that the driver hadn't slowed and was fully turning into to my path. Stopping, I jumped backwards just as she slammed on her brakes, barely missing me by a few feet.

Stunned, and speechless I made a full body gesture of shock and surprise. A passenger window lowered in the morning darkness, followed by the words, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you ... " -- the American version of SMIDSY.

"Obviously," I answered and walked on my way. On two wheels, or two feet, no one's safe out there.

Ride carefully, everyone,

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()