Author Topic: Bystarter resistor location  (Read 1170 times)

eamartin

• View Profile
Bystarter resistor location
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:18 AM »
In an attempt to test the auto bystarter resistor,  I began yesterday to look for the resistor.  It would seem to be located behind the front panel in the area below the headlight.  As I attempt to remove the panel, it appears as if I must first remove the adjacent panel.  When I attempt to remove this adjacent panel, it seems that I need to remove the next adjacent panel.  I am now all the way back to the rear rack.  Is it possible that in order to remove the front panel for access to my resistor I will need to start at the back of the bike and work my way to the front, removing body panels along the way?  This seems crazy but I don't want to damage anything by getting rough.  And I'm not even certain that the resistor is where I think it is. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Bystarter resistor location
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 04:20:32 PM »
Welcome to Kymco "tupperware!" Location is sometimes covered at the front of the service manual with actual pictures! Silence on your request usually means we don't know and I don't know!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »
Hey, Karl!  Thanks for responding.  I looked at the service manual again and it says to remove the front cover.  There is a photo of the rectifier and it is positioned next to the horn.  So, pretty good chance it's up there, although I can't see it back in there.  The sequence of body panel removal has me bewildered.  Angel 

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »
body panel removal
TitaniumWayne's videos may be a resource.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:08:35 PM »
Thanks, tortoise.  I'm working my way through TitaniumWayne's videos.  It may very well help me.  Wayne is running into some surprises, as have I.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:13:39 PM »
Good news!    The TitaniumWayne videos proved to be very helpful.  Only one panel needed to be removed and was attached just like his Super 8 150 panel.  And the resistor was located just where the service manual said it would be.  I've bench tested the bystarter and tested the resistor.  Everything looks good so now I'll put everything back together and move on.  Thanks for your responses, Karl and tortoise.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()