Author Topic: Front Brake Disc.  (Read 2965 times)

boksaman

• View Profile
Re: Front Brake Disc.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 09:25:58 AM »
I noticed that my rear disc is more worn out than one on the front tire, the first owner must have used rear brake much more.

i think that both disc are in spec (gonna confirm that when i get chance), my question woul be: do you guys think is it a good idea to switch them up? - meaning put rear disc at front and front on the back tire, because i'm braking more with rear brake

thanks

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 12:18:57 PM »
in the automotive world when brake rotors are replaced they are paired with new pads. You're asking about swapping your front and rear used brake rotors to help even out wear? Assuming they are the same size, you typically don't' want to use old pads with an old rotor.

Would it work? Probably...but not something i'd consider. If your rotor wars wears out just replace it with a new one.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 01:01:15 PM »
I noticed that my rear disc is more worn out than one on the front tire, the first owner must have used rear brake much more.

i think that both disc are in spec (gonna confirm that when i get chance), my question woul be: do you guys think is it a good idea to switch them up? - meaning put rear disc at front and front on the back tire, because i'm braking more with rear brake

thanks

I would recommend not swapping them, as the brake pads have already worn to the grooves of the disc. There would also be a large gap due to the different diameters between the brake rotors. Both of these would lead to loss of braking performance.

Best to get a new rotor and pads at the same time.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

boksaman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 06:03:04 PM »
that's reasonable advice . . thanks

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 09:01:07 AM »
I say stock brake disk should last 100,000 miles.  Stock works fine.  Why go thru the trouble?   In over 400,000 miles of Maxi scooter use since 1990----never had to replace front brake disk.....and I am heavy front brake user.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 09:44:39 AM »
For mentioned reasons, NO,  do not swap rear with front brake discs.
You can't look into those material.
 In my experience front and rear brakes wear out pretty equally, but since in most of the cases its a lot of work (not to say a PITA) to change and maintain a rear brake with all this dismantling of muffler, shocks and most of the time axle- carrier.
So its seems to most of workshops and clients easier and cost effectiv, to change rear brake pads only.
With known result, thinned and grooved disc.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()