Author Topic: Starting dialysis tomorrow  (Read 3953 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Starting dialysis tomorrow
« on: June 19, 2010, 02:05:47 AM »
The tag line says we can talk about anything on this board here so thought I'd share this.  Had dr's appointment Thurs and my kidney function has gone to pot.  I start dialysis tomorrow and will get it again Mon, and Tue.  Then Tue, Thur, Sat for the rest of my life. 

A congenital kidney malfunction runs in my family and I've known I've had it for over 20 yrs so, no suprise.  Dr has been checking me for long time now and I've known it's getting close for a while.

I fully hope to get to riding my scooter to and from dialysis as soon as possible!  :D  Though there can be bouts of dizziness.  My dad drove himself to and from for over ten yrs.  Anyone know of someone who rides to dialysis?   

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Starting dialysis tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:19 AM »
...you're in my prayers hoolander...i wish you all the best brother...

:(
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

art

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:30:49 AM »
Hey hoolander I wish you the best.I am somewhat disabled too,thats what got me into scooters,couldn't ride my dirt bikes anymore,but live to ride!I had a major back injery and was bed ridden for over a year.Once i could walk I knew i had to get a bike of any kind.Still can't walk well or lift my legs,thats when the scooter idea hit me,and has become a full time hobby can't work a real job and was going crazy!I haven't made a hospital visit on my scoot yet,mostly do to this portland weather but it is a goal this year!Good luck!
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 06:44:19 AM »
Sorry to hear about that Hoolander. All the best mate. Keep enjoying your scooter, scoot on.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 06:56:48 AM »
Wow !  !  I complain when I get a headache... Sorry to hear that for BOTH of you guys. I have ALWAYS believed the only way to make God laugh is to tell him what your plans are. I ditto slinger. You're in my prayers...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

scorpion_uk24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
Sorry to hear that guys.... hope you have minimal hassle throughout life!! I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Feb 2009. I didn't know i had it until one day i drove home, and when i tried to get out of the car i couldn't move my legs for about 5-7 minutes. went to the doctors next morning and was give a glucose test! (the machine just read High,it was off the scales). was then rushed to hospital kept in on a drip till well enough to move without difficulty. then was told i was on the verge of a stroke (at just 29 years young). now i'm on a injection which is brilliant if i must say,(losing weight, eating only twice a day & having no hypo's whatsoever!!! thanking GOD every morning as  i wake). because look at it this way it could of been far worst..

So enjoy life and hope life treats you all well.

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »
And I thought I had problems. Wishing you guys all the best.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 11:21:39 PM »
...yeah ...makes my megrims seem not so bad...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 02:22:09 AM »
Thanks, scooter brothers.  It went well today.  A little lightheadedness after a short time on the machine but they gave me fluids which fixed that in seconds.  I had a friend drive me this time and may do so for the next few times as well just in case. 

Yeah, it's my second lease on life at least and I will make the very best of it and do it right.  After all, I got my family of 18 wonderful loving cats to think of.  One of em is slaming the kitchen cabinet over and over as I type. 

The dialysis nurses know about my Xciting and I get the idea they think it's pretty cool. ;) 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »
..18 cats??..wowww....

..hope you get some hot nurses tending to y'...

..i'm glad to hear it went well for you..i actually thought about you today at work..it's kinda funny, but a lot of ppl here are kinda like family too..

..get your ass back on tha X!!

peace
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:01:38 AM by wordslinger »

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:45:26 AM »
That nurse looks likes one of my ex fiancee and one ex girlfriend.... (japanese nurse also.....  ;D)  Talk about good care! ha ha ha ha

anyway best to ya, all we can do is keep pushin ourselves to enjoy life and live!  ;D
2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 05:47:38 AM »
Best of luck to you!

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »
Used to work for a company that did work on equipment in dialysis centers.  From what I saw the regulars stopped in brought a book and read for awhile then left.  Just like a visit to the library.  I didn't see anything that would have kept them from riding or driving.  Wish you the best, don't let it slow you down.  Get out and ride and enjoy life.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
Hang in there guys!

basmith44136

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »
Hoolander-
This is my first day on the the Kymco forum.  I just got a Kymco Xciting 500 about six weeks ago and, like you, I'm on dialysis.
I do peritineal.  I know its different but a lot of the issues are the same.

If you need someone to talk to who might be able to relate, feel free to shoot me emails.
Keep your stick on the ice-
Brent

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()