Author Topic: tire chains  (Read 3581 times)

airshot

• View Profile
Re: tire chains
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 02:10:39 AM »
    Thanks for the pics, sure looks like a fun place to do some trail riding.  It appears your giving the chains a good test!!

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »
my Trygg chains have become invaluable after an ice storm we had last week. Had to pull my log splitter up an icy 25% grade to get to my wood pile, no problem, didn't spin a wheel

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:51:13 PM by randyo »
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 11:41:57 PM »
3 year update

chains are still tight with no slack,  getting regular use, I built a wooden drag plow(angle iron on leading edge) cuts down dramatically on my snowblowing time, I keep a couple trails (about 1000 feet total) open

well worth what I paid, few people told me I was crazy and I could get em at Walmart for 1/3 the price

these chains will last longer than the 450i
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 03:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the update, glad to see they are working well.  Did you put these on all 4 tires or just the rear ?. Pics are to small for my old eyes to see.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 04:05:16 AM »
all 4,  they are on their own set of wheels, swapping a set of wheels is a whole lot easier than taking the chains on and off
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 03:29:16 PM »
You can see my drag plow off to the side, I adjust the length of the tow chain from each side, to wing the snow to one side,

I have my otter sled hooked up to pack the snow in the center of my trails

RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 11:52:50 PM »
I wouldnt want to install the chains each season, smart move getting extra set of wheels and tires was the way to go. Is that drag pointed or just looks like that in the pic.  Do you use your drag on gravel or just snow?  I have a long gravel drive and your giving me an idea.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 12:55:58 AM »
I wouldnt want to install the chains each season, smart move getting extra set of wheels and tires was the way to go. Is that drag pointed or just looks like that in the pic.  Do you use your drag on gravel or just snow?  I have a long gravel drive and your giving me an idea.

it is an equilateral triangle 6ft on each side, the 2 leading edges have 2" angle iron as a cutting edge, the front point is protected with sheet metal, the post has a eye hook near the top on each side, for hooking bungees that keep the slack tow chain from dragging when I shorten the other side to angle it to wing snow to one side.

I make my first pass casting equally to both sides, then I angle to continue casting snow over on one side. It takes me 4-5 passes to clear a 12 ft width in a 6" snowstorm, deeper snow I have to get more creative, making a couple V passes, leaving a bank in the center, then winging that bank to one side

then I clean up what I can't get at with my snowblower
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()