Author Topic: Slows down going up hills  (Read 3676 times)

Marko

• View Profile
Slows down going up hills
« on: June 25, 2010, 03:47:34 AM »
My 00 ppl has never been as fast as my 05 but now its just getting bad on the steep hills, The rollers and the belt have about 2K kil on them and they look fine. This is a derestriced scoot but no up grades except the boss, Its seems normal on the flat about 45 but the hills it just is a dog.
2stroke Cat sailor

art

• View Profile
Re: Slows down going up hills
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:08:58 AM »
They usually dog a little bit I've found the 2004 and older are usually quicker,they have a less restricted pipe.I would try to get an #85 main jet in it clean the carb and air filter and also a 3/8" hole in the air box (on the outer cover) will get you to 50+mph may need to go to a #90 or #95 main with the hole.Welcome to the forum!Check out my other post when your ready to mod one of them.P.S. How many miles on that 2000
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

Marko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 04:23:57 AM »
I have just under 5k on the Od Ive had this scoot for 5 years. I suspected carb cleaning . I used to talk on another forum a few years ago but there just wasn't much action. Was happy to find this one. I did a stage 2 on a Zuma several years ago had a soft seize, fixed it, rode it, but got tired of the noise so I bought the ppl and sold the Zuma.    So what should I soak that carb in?
2stroke Cat sailor

art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 04:35:14 AM »
I like to use carb cleaner and compressed air.Disasemble and Hit every hole you can find then do it again.5000 not much on the people,I'd run a good synthetic also if not already.My sorta stock build has about 8500 on it and it looked great inside,running as is with some mods.I do have a piston and rings on order just incase though.Not alot of people now the people 50 yet.Great bike I love it!

Marko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:18:39 AM »
Yah not many know about the people 50 but I like it better than the zuma, I had a Ruckus for a while, slow, too many strokes but still cool. I have a 74 vespa sprint too, a barn find, 4k original miles and paint, its very cool but there is something to say about modern scoots (easy). I got the air box off its tight in there. It shows I have a 85 stock jet where do I get the right parts- #90 or #95? SW, Provo?
2stroke Cat sailor

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 05:40:53 AM »
Every people I have owned has had a different stock jet in it as small as #68 to #75,You will want to look.I think scooterworks has the right jets for the keihin pb carb 7mm i believe.Its kinda an oddball The ones from provo are 8mm i believe and don't fit the stock attomizer,It can be tapped for these jets thats what I did.I've had some luck with the local shops picking them up if you have one in your hands for them to match it, but havn't found a reliable place to order yet.Ya I got a 63 vbb I'm going to build just got the 172cc kit for it and crank,no time for it yet.Wish it was a barn find,my sister ordered it from asia the motor was junk,got lucky though the body is good no bondo that i can find and the paint is O.K.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 05:57:28 AM »
If you have been reading around the forum most are just drilling there jets at home seems the torch head cleaning kit is the hot setup and some calipers.I don't have this setup yet.Saves some time and running around and you can repair you mistakes with a drop of solder and re drill.

Marko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:09:59 AM »
Sounds like I'll be in to it this weekend and I will figure out what I have. I had to rebuild my sprint motor too those booges from asia are a little scary but I have heard some success stories sounds like you might be ok. The paint on mine is bad but I'm going to leave it. I shined it up and it looks pretty good. Thanks for the pointers.
2stroke Cat sailor

art

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
Hey marko just another thought,there is a gas filter in the bottem of the unit for your fuel and vac lines at the petcock You might want to check that out too,just looked at mine on the 02 looked a little fuzzy seemed clear but breaking down a bit.I removed and put a filter in line.

Marko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 06:15:47 AM »
hey Art I completly dismantled the carb and cleaned it, its back up to speed, thanks. I looked around for some torch tip cleaners but couldnt find any and the welding shops were all closed. It looks like (printed on the jet) I have a #80 main jet I'll have to get the tip cleaners and work on that. For now its just fine I walk away from all other 50cc bikes and reliability is nice too.
2stroke Cat sailor

art

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
Do the jet and the hole in the airbox and you'll walk away from your 2005 Ha!Glad it worked out for ya!Good luck.

Marko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 03:24:33 AM »
My scoot runs so good now I think I better do the plug chop. These 2strks always run best just before they seize.
2stroke Cat sailor

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 03:33:11 AM »
Deffently take a look at that plug,did ya get the bigger jet in?Is the 2000 faster than your 2005 now?They usually are.Sound good so far.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 03:22:13 AM »
These 2strks always run best just before they seize.

...dang...that sucks....

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 03:52:22 AM »
Don't worry slinger. If it were too good to be tru you would have been walking by now. Welcome aboard Marko! Just for future reference... Chem Dip is what I use for soaking carbs. It comes in a gallon can, and can be re used forever. (just about) The can says soak for 3-4 hours, but I found 24-48 hrs. is best. Just be SURE to soak ONLY metal, as anything else will disappear. The Ttourch tip cleaners are about 7 bucks a set, and every size you will ever need for a scoot is in there.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()