Author Topic: Are my DOT numbers on my Kenda tires manipulated?  (Read 1201 times)

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Are my DOT numbers on my Kenda tires manipulated?
« on: April 05, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »
I show you here the DOT Numbers of my Kenda tires. Have these numbers been artificially manipulated between tire factory and dealer somehow and somewhere? ??? Looks more like a unprofessional "hot iron branding for horses"...-, than anything else that normally comes from a tire factory. Somehow strange and weird compared to all other DOT numbers I have seen on tires.

Or is that actually the way Kenda puts on the DOT number to its tires?  :o
If so, doors are wide open for any manipulation atempts at any time...  :(
Is it legal to do it that way?

What do you think?

Interesting discovery, isn´t it?  ;)
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

ronigj

• View Profile
    • Super 8 Philippines Motorcycle, Club Inc.
Re: Are my DOT numbers on my Kenda tires manipulated?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
I show you here the DOT Numbers of my Kenda tires. Have these numbers been artificially manipulated between tire factory and dealer somehow and somewhere? ??? Looks more like a unprofessional "hot iron branding for horses"...-, than anything else that normally comes from a tire factory. Somehow strange and weird compared to all other DOT numbers I have seen on tires.

Or is that actually the way Kenda puts on the DOT number to its tires?  :o
If so, doors are wide open for any manipulation atempts at any time...  :(
Is it legal to do it that way?

What do you think?

Interesting discovery, isn´t it?  ;)
Possible factory defect on machine stamping.

Sent from my Skyfire2 using Tapatalk

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 04:28:27 PM »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »
The date codes always look like those. No conspiracy here.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:32:54 PM »
thats just Kenda lol. . . .not like its a Michelin or COnti or Perrelli
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
DOT regulations text
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/574.5

The ECE-75 European regulation says either embossed or debossed and clearly legible. (3.1.8/3.4)
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:084:0046:0079:EN:PDF

Most of the well known tire manufacturers around the world with a good reputation use the embossed version over the old fashioned "hot iron debossed horse branding method" to avoid any shadow of a doubt by not providing unwanted opportunities and temptations. ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:37:41 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 12:04:40 AM »
Robo, you sre not buying tires from the dirt floored roadside stand operated by the guy who also sells his multi-colored petrol in old pop bottles.....then you might have a concern.
I do not think Kymco fits tires on their scoots from shady suppliers.
Ancient WW II tiny tire presses for goat carts (now scooters)...possibly at fault here.....in these nylon Kendas.

I have not heard of any recent deaths-by-scooter-tires-exploding...no matter the age of the tire carcass....or the DOT info.
Perhaps I'm  wrong not to worry about counterfeit tire dates, or hairline tread fissures. I think 90% of vehicles are moving about on tires with age/pollution  fissures.....but not since 1960 have I seen a tire explode.

Just one man's take on tires, and cracks in same. (for pete's sake, we have members riding on cotton threads....still living to tell about it!)

Stig
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:22:52 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
I think it is just sloppy work on Kendas part. I would not worry about it, but in the future I would look at other brands of tires. If Kenda is that sloppy on the external stuff, I would not be too confident about the internals.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 10:06:48 PM »
I took a closer look, when I removed the front tire today - a few weeks earlier than planned.
I came to the conclusion that the date stamp is genuine and has not been tampered with or altered at all.
It´s indeed just Kenda style/quality.  :) So everything is in the green aerea here.

Also checked the Kenda tire for out of round before I took it off the rim, but it was all perfectly fine laterally and radially.  :o ;D
Didn´t find any cracks or fissures either.
As long as you are riding in dry conditions this tire is pretty good and has incredible good milage.
Nevertheless would not buy it again.

Sorry for upsetting the apple cart.  :-[
Cheers,
Robo

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
I took a closer look, when I removed the front tire today - a few weeks earlier than planned.
I came to the conclusion that the date stamp is genuine and has not been tampered with or altered at all.
It´s indeed just Kenda style/quality.  :) So everything is in the green aerea here.

Also checked the Kenda tire for out of round before I took it off the rim, but it was all perfectly fine laterally and radially.  :o ;D
Didn´t find any cracks or fissures either.
As long as you are riding in dry conditions this tire is pretty good and has incredible good milage.
Nevertheless would not buy it again.

Sorry for upsetting the apple cart.  :-[

No worries
I don't think Kenda makes horrible stuff. Their website and list of products is impressive, I think.
With so many of Kymco's scooters and bikes going to Asian markets - I think the Kendas probably make sense. They will last a  l o n g  time .....and are hard enough to provide plenty of exciting entertainment in the wet!!!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()