Author Topic: non-Kymcos  (Read 2295 times)

Redk

• View Profile
Re: non-Kymcos
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »
Others.

Kinda foreboding...

Yes, I'll do 'Others', if the price is right.
Now I will find out about cost of plastic, along with the mech needs that led to past owners losing the panels.

It will be fun to see what it will take to get this abused pair into service.
First is a Riva 50 and the second is an Express SR.

A major impediment is the level of taxation placed upon the lower value powered transport machines.
It detracts significantly from their true value.

SO, I would like to hear about any favorite plastic vendors, new or used, anyone might advise !

Perhaps one summer I can sell all these 'Others' off and purchase a good running Kymco Super 8 150X !
redk

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 03:48:45 AM »
I rode it's slightly bigger brother the S200.  The People's a good bike.  I like 'em.  Go ride an HD200 and lemme know whatcha think..then go ride a GTi300 :).
Heck if you're in the PNW I might even letcha try mine for fun.
I have test-ridden an HD200 and it's a great ride, but way too many problems with the cooling system/head gaskets reported by others on the SYM forum. I would love a GTi300, but it's out of my price range right now. I'm sort of in the PNW - Idaho, Boise area - so maybe I'll take you up on that test ride someday!  ;)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 04:23:55 AM »
Head gaskets, I have two of the bikes.  Neither (so far, knock on wood, salt over shoulder) have had an issue with that but there have been a couple.
I did have a fuel system issue that I thought might have been head related but it was not.
Despite that I fear I still would not trade it for another S200, nigh indestructible though they are.  Perhaps if I lived in a more solidly urban area so didn't find myself topping the S out so often I'd have gone the other way.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

DIRKHUNT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
Kymco owners seem to have at least one thing in common; We research scoot's from different countries and learn from other people that a scooter made in Taiwan could be a good one. Then, we have the courage to buy one for ourselves and find that having an open mind is a good thing.
How did I end up here?
In 02 I wanted a scooter that would keep up with Atlanta surface streets. Already had an Aprilia Scarabeo 50 (70 after kit) but could not go 2 up and hit 50.

Looked into getting a Vespa rebuilt or direct from Europe and started doing a little research.  Found Bajaj (T4) and the Stella (T2).

Went for the Bajaj that I put 20,000+ miles on in Atlanta, OKC, and San Antonio TX.

Last year I moved to Florida and for the first time the 55mph Bajaj just wasn't up to my commute.

Knowing that I needed to do 70 to 75 each morning and evening and remembering the ride of the Aprilia with the 16 in. Wheels pointed me toward the People 300 and the BV350. Everyone used to rave about the Veaps/Paggio quality.... until mfg shifted to asia. I went with a used 300i and after ditching the OEM front tire (cupped POC) for a Metzler I am happy.

After all Kymco made all of those DEVO Hondas in the 80s and 90s , and had built a reputation as durable.
So it isn't like they were a new scooter company.

Have fun

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
After sneaking back into biking with my DT300, the urge for another M/C was too strong to resist. After all a 63 year habit is hard to give up. I picked up a 96 Honda VT100C Shadow Spirit cheap, as it needs some repairs. I was able to ride it home, in the rain. Just recovered the seats last night and got a new rear tire. Engine runs great. Looking forward to putting it on the road soon. Old habits die hard.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
Hey Mac,

Sometimes the old habits can use a little help...
I will try one of these.

http://motorcycleliftsforsale.com/wp-content/gallery/Lift-Table-Houston-TX/lifttable_houston-tx-sides.jpg

Kinda heavy, but should handle just about any scooter.
redk

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 03:12:40 AM »
Looks like if you had two of them they would handle a car. I built a small lift table with a pirce of channel across it and it works good. If you work on a lot of bikes, you just about have to have one. I have a couple of motorcycle jacks. The Shadow is on one now. Very handy to roll around a 500lb bike.
They are a must for removing wheels. I've seen those lift tables with jacks built in for lifting a wheel. Some times I wonder which I like best, working on 'em or riding 'em. You only go around once, might as well do things you like, while you can.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 04:16:00 AM »
Sometimes the old habits can use a little help...
I will try one of these.
http://motorcycleliftsforsale.com/wp-content/gallery/Lift-Table-Houston-TX/lifttable_houston-tx-sides.jpg

Could probably get away with the harbor freight one for a scooter pretty handily.  Specs enough to lift the burger; although most say to replace the front wheel clamp before using.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 06:43:03 AM »
Interesting that the most consistent thing in life seems to be change.

I paid for the HF lift late yesterday.
The boys had all the trucks tied up but did have a time slot this afternoon to gather it.

They did not beat the post man.
He delivered a Notice to Vacate from the rental company.
So I directed the boys to get me a refund.
Don't think I'll have much use for a crate that weighs 400lbs for a while !

This is really gonna cut into my summer scooter riding !
Setback.
redk

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:51:23 AM by Redk »

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »
Well heck, that's annoying, if a bit fortuitous in some respects

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »
Well heck, that's annoying, if a bit fortuitous in some respects

Yah, I shall struggle to find that silver lining.
redk

...and I have no clue how the bimmer in that pic ended up like that...

IF you happen to view the HF page on their 1000lb lift, in the RH column they show a electric/hydraulic scissor lift for autos...
By golly it looks Really Scary to me !

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 04:02:38 AM »
...and I have no clue how the bimmer in that pic ended up like that...

IF you happen to view the HF page on their 1000lb lift, in the RH column they show a electric/hydraulic scissor lift for autos...
By golly it looks Really Scary to me !

I noticed they didn't have tie downs from the handle bars to the loops on the platform. A heavy bike like that might not take too much to push past the point of no return. I'm pretty happy with my Harbor Freight lift even though I've had a B650 torn down on it for years.

If you want a nice scissor lift this is the nicest one. The BendPak SP-7X especially if it's sunk in flush mounted. http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/sp-7x.aspx

'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 07:45:44 AM »
WoW!
That Bendpack lift is very nice, MJR !

I've never done much work using a lift, professionally, and the lift table was to be my first purchase of one.
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()