Author Topic: Recovery After Accident  (Read 2829 times)

scopa

• View Profile
Recovery After Accident
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:46:07 AM »
Got into an accident this morning while riding my agility 125 to work. That little scooter is pretty tough though, it started right up and I drove myself to the ER!

My question would be to anyone who has suffered from a hard laydown or any accident that sent them flying. What is the best way to recover? Should I just take it easy? or should I be stretching and trying to stay lose? I'm pretty sore from rolling down the road, but other than that I'm ok. I'm just worried that if I just "Take it easy" I'll get stiff and even more sore.

Any ideas?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Recovery After Accident
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 03:58:53 AM »
Sorry for the bad luck Bro! The doctors will give you a small bottle full of magic beans. With those I don't think you will be too sore. It comes down to common sense. Do what makes you comfortable. There are not too many Gladiators left to worry about. Just to qualify this I close my eyes, and run around the neighborhood until I come to a sudden stop. Then I limp home thinking I won't do that again... Happens all the time.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:18:37 AM »
...if youre like me, you have no choice...

..gotta get back up and go...

..that keeps all your torn internal sh** you got going on, away from a chance of healing up too short...

..that way, the next time you dump ur scoot, it won't hurt nearly as much...

..i'm just sayin.....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:21:07 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 04:20:34 AM »
Hey scopa sorry to hear.From my experience Doing nothing makes you sore and stiff,but pain killers can give you a false sense of feeling good,then you over do it.In my situation that would put me down for two or three days,got to find a middle road.Glad to here your up and walking some times those deep brueses don't show for a week or so.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

scopa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 05:02:53 AM »
Ya, I'm going to do my best to avoid pain killers. I just finished stretching for about 30min and I feel better. We'll see what its like after a nights sleep. I'm thinking I should just keep working it and not settle into a wo-is-me attitude. Keep my body moving and the recovery will hopefully be better and faster... as long as I don't push too hard. The nurse warned me that I'll feel worse and worse for the next few days... not looking forward to that! haha

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 05:52:19 AM »
I hear ya probably best,got run off the road years ago and jumped right up and pushed my bike out of the field I landed in and did't feel a thing 4 days later I cant believe i did it.I'm kinda dealing with it all the time now(non bike injery)I'm glad I can walk,but the scoots keep me going.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

SUPER 9 MANN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:09:47 AM »
 Depends on your age, If you are young rest three days, If old rest two weeks. Hope you will be ok.

InfernoST

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »
Sorry to hear about your accident Skopa, feel better. I would still go about my normal business with caution, I've found taking it too easy leaves you in worse shape.
-Keith-

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
Exactly one year ago (30th June 2009) I had a pretty bad accident with a quad (ran into rock by the side of the road at 40-50 km/h). I tumbled over and the quad hit me in the back.

I did not break anything except the helmet, but I was black and bruised all over, also, I had road rash on my arms, legs and shoulder. I also had 1st degree right should dislocation, in fact, my tendons were stretched to the point of snapping...

It happened on the first day of my summer holiday vacations so I had a month to get better. The biggest problem was changing dressings and showering because the wounds/scratches were all over the body, so taking a shower lasted for an hour. I had painful shoulder for the next 8-9 months. The bruises and swollen areas remained that way for the next 3-4 months.

However, I went back to the gym 3 days after the accident (I usually train with weights 5x/week for the past 10 years). First I worked out my lower parts of the body and left side, because right shoulder was affected and very weak, and then after 3 weeks I started working right side of the body with baby weights. After 6-7 weeks I was back to working unilateral exercises with similar weights.

Scientific studies show that working out opposite side of the body helps heal the injured side, because the body routes recovery processes to both sides of the body equally, thus enhancing recovery. If you break a leg, it is a good idea to work out the unaffected leg etc.

Of course, this worked for me.

Otherwise, I can only recommend some kind of anti-pain gel like Voltaren, Ibuprofen, or whatever is the brand name where you live.

p.s. Consider yourself lucky. Last week a guy from my office was killed when he fell of the bike in the center of the city. Probably nothing would happen because the speed was very low and nobody knew why he fell, but falling from the bike he hit several anti-car-parking poles/barriers with the trunk of his body that cause massive internal injury and death.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

OLDRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 02:21:08 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your accident. I would follow my doctors advice and would get right back up on the scoot and ride as soon as possible. I was in a serious accident 50 years ago and my dad made me drive a car that same day. Accidents happen and I am glad your not seriusly hurt but still be carefull. Sore muscles and or a stiff neck can cause us to drive differently than we normally would leading to further trouble. Good Luck and recover quick

TPococke

• Pueblo, Colorado United States
  • "Life is Good!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
Sorry to hear about your accident. I feel your pain. I got in an accident merging (or trying to) onto the interstate. I got up and rode my scooter the rest of the way to work just to end up calling my wife to ask her to take me to the ER. My advice is to listen to your doctor and as soon as you are told to start using injured parts of your body to start. If you don't use em you will lose em.  Well not lose them but you can lose function. Get back on that scoot and ride.
Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 11:23:51 PM »
Back when I was a runner, the mantra was "listen to your body". It'll tell you if you what you're capable of doing as you heal.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
me I keep bussy doing things I cant just sit around and watch the world go around. sore or not.
if ya can move do somethng if ya sit around you feel sorry for your self later that you didnot do something.

scopa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »
I think I'm recovering pretty well. I stretched the night of the accident and worked out my arms last night. I'm already feeling better.

I even rode to work this morning without incident! All is well in the world, I just hope Geico covers the repairs :P

Thanks for all the support!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »
..scoot and grow strong brother!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()