Author Topic: do you really check tire pressures??  (Read 1894 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
do you really check tire pressures??
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:24:39 AM »
Really? Before every ride?
Sad to say, I only get down there and wrestle a tire gauge onto the tire valve stem too infrequently. Maybe every few months.
Why?
Doing so always loses some air...so have to get out the electric pump and wrestle that fitting onto the nipple....which loses more air.

One cannot see the tire shape when sitting on the scooter, unless you're using a mirror or a camera. Looking at tires when my weight is not on the scooter tells me next to nothing.

Very fortunately the rims and tires on my scooters are of such quality that they never lose air.....unless I  check them !

I have a right angle fitting on my gauge, but still lose some air when mucking about with it. And pump has that dumb clamp thing that does not want to fit in a scooter wheel.

What are you guys doing?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: do you really check tire pressures??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
I do it approx. every month during riding season.
And I experience the same issues you described here.  ;D

Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »
Once a week or so, or before the ride if its' been more than a week (I ride pretty much daily but do have two bikes)
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Maybelline2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
Ha, I had this very same experience. I ran out and purchased a tire pressure gauge with a clock-face meter attachment that shows psi and metric pressures. The first time I put it on, I had to do it 3 times, which pretty much flattened the tire. After I figured it out (depress the pressure release valve on gauge before removing from the tire), I pumped the tire back up as hard as possible, then checked again. It was at almost 30 psi (25 is recommended), so I let a bit out, and it was pretty much right on.
Lesson I learned: 1. Know the gauge mechanics; 2. Do it quick! And no way would I do it before every ride. I will likely check for damage, embedded stuff, etc. But I feel your pain.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
From time to time, I happen to pull up at a market and am able to view my scooter's reflection in the front window.

If close enough, I Do look at the tires and their inflation footprint.
redk

and it does make me laugh to see Me on the Brite Yellow Banana ! 

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
I check pressure about every 3-4 weeks and it is usually just fine. The rear tire on the Like is a problem because it is a vertical type valve and my gauge is straight in. When I check it some air escapes so that I need to refill some air. To offset this I overfill and then re-check and set it for the factory setting. When I replace the rear tire I will probably have a right angle valve.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »
Excellent plan !

Angled valve stems for tubeless rims are even available thru wallyworld !
There's a Huge selection of them on the web with a google search.
redk

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
I don't check them all that regularly but I like having installed the Bridgeport right angle aluminum valve stems. I have a very nice compressor from California Air Tools also which I can have a normal conversation while it's running.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:28:10 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »
I check em about once a month with my Joe Blow mountain bike pump with included gauge.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:34:11 PM »
I check the tires when there is a big change in Temp,   cold to hot to much preasure,.  hot to cold to little .    8 degree this morning to 30 this afternoon 

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
Depends on the temperature and the time of the year. I do it more in the fall and winter as my pressure goes down with lower temperatures. I do it in the summer if my wife and I have done a lot of 2-up riding, or just by how the bike feels in different situations, especially on slow turns. My recent problem is my favorite gas station has changed their air pump nozzle so it's no longer possible to use it on my bike. This kind of sucks because their air pump was free. Now I have to seek out other stations that have pumps that fit, but that also means I have to pay of for it.

My garage doesn't have any electricity, and getting a manual pump isn't appealing. I may have to talk with the guys at my go to gas stop.

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
TLAR=That Looks About Right. Works with a lot of things besides tires. Now I use the Steel Mate TPMS readout. Use the tire gauge on wife's scoot since she rides every 6 months witout fail.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:22 PM »
My routine was similar to Stig's. Now I pump the tires before checking. About 10 or so pumps. I then use a stick tire gauge and check the pressure. Most times it's simply a matter of letting out some air. The trick is to just release a little air at a time. It takes all of 5 minutes to do the front and rear tires.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:54 PM »
I tend to check it every week. Or if I'm expecting to ride at high speeds.

I use my Tekton digital gauge which is pretty easy to get a good seal. And I use a floor pump, also a Joe Blow that's been quite reliable (and I vaguely remember having a pretty accurate gauge). No issues fitting either onto the valves, and it takes very little pumping to correct the pressure.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 11:21:57 PM »
I used to have an inexpensive stick gauge, and it turned out to be quite inaccurate.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()