Author Topic: My problem was  (Read 1523 times)

docjones

• View Profile
My problem was
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
A bad CDI module. If you look back to June 24th under won't run, you will see how this whole thing developed. Turns out it had nothing to do with the tire change like all of us felt to begin with. The module just happened to fail about a mile after I replaced the rear tire. How long should these things normally last? I had less than 7200km (4500miles) on my 125 and it is just a tad over 8 months old. It will be covered under warranty but that won't do me and my girlfriend (she has one too) any good if we are 30 miles from home. At $61.00 for the module and the ease it is to put one in, if they fail regularly, then perhaps I should carry a spare. If this is a rare occurants then I won't goto the expence of purchasing a spare. Any and all advice on the subject will be appreciated.   Tom
09 Agility 125

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: My problem was
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
Hey Doc, CDI's are a sore subject for me, as I bought 3 within a year, and NO ONE had a better option.  They do go bad. Some last longer than the scoot, and some last a few months. I would say buy an extra, and zip loc bag it w/ your tools.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »
A bad CDI module. If you look back to June 24th under won't run, you will see how this whole thing developed. Turns out it had nothing to do with the tire change like all of us felt to begin with. The module just happened to fail about a mile after I replaced the rear tire. How long should these things normally last? I had less than 7200km (4500miles) on my 125 and it is just a tad over 8 months old. It will be covered under warranty but that won't do me and my girlfriend (she has one too) any good if we are 30 miles from home. At $61.00 for the module and the ease it is to put one in, if they fail regularly, then perhaps I should carry a spare. If this is a rare occurants then I won't goto the expence of purchasing a spare. Any and all advice on the subject will be appreciated.   Tom

Never had a bad CDI case. Had 6 scoots with 10-30.000 kms on them. Some of them sold to my friends and they did not have problems later either.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »
They mostly go bad when de-restricted, and even die quicker when you pile high rpm's on top of that. The zx cdi is a particular demon unto itself. Being A.C. fired there is no "filter between the stator, and the cdi so rpm's do a number on the avail. voltage. I'm not SURE, but I believe the stator puts out 250vac.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
..i got hit by 277 vac at work yesterday...

..i now have curly hair...

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 09:01:35 AM »
Hope you're ok wordslinger, there's only one of you, careful mate.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
..yeah, i was all sweaty and didn't actually touch anything..

..arced onto the back of my hand...

..woke me up!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()