Author Topic: Sad news  (Read 1876 times)

mcdcfc3

• View Profile
Sad news
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »
Kymco UK sole importer Masco has gone into liquidation. I hope a new distributor will be appointed
https://www.scooterlab.uk/uk-kymco-distributor-masco-liquidation-news/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Sad news
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
Now how could they screw up that bad? Scoots and motorcycles are still a big thing, aren't they?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:54:09 PM »
Now how could they screw up that bad? Scoots and motorcycles are still a big thing, aren't they?

Karl
I bet it is taxes that put them down,  1 vat ,.  2 property tax, 3  buying and selling tax ,  4  tax to breath air,. carbon tax,  and on and on,.   

mcdcfc3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
I bet it is taxes that put them down,  1 vat ,.  2 property tax, 3  buying and selling tax ,  4  tax to breath air,. carbon tax,  and on and on,.
It's something of a mystery. When I had my Like and then my Downtown they were always helpful. They had a good group of dealers. I have three within a 20 mile radius of home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »
Maybe we should all hang on to our Kymco's. They may be worth more they cost us someday. hee hee
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 02:23:41 AM »

Funny how that works, your taxes are what our politicians dream of around here some day, but even ours have put me off picking up a new bike this year.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »
Funny how that works, your taxes are what our politicians dream of around here some day, but even ours have put me off picking up a new bike this year.

I was reading this Bloomberg article yesterday...:

The Motorcycle Industry Is Dying

It’s also the manufacturing equivalent of a mid-life crisis. Motorcycle sales in the U.S. peaked in 2006 at 716,268 and promptly started to skid. When the recession hit, the market went down hard. Bike sales fell by 41 percent in 2009 and another 14 percent the following year, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council. That’s not surprising considering the economy at the time: A motorcycle is a picture of discretionary spending, and they can be tricky to finance even in a healthy credit market. Even now, with the stock market on a historic bull run and after the U.S. auto industry posted its best year on record, traffic in motorcycle stores has stayed slow. In 2016, U.S. customers rolled off with 371,403 new bikes, roughly half as many as a decade ago.

And then there’s the generational time-bomb. In 2003, only about one-quarter of U.S. motorcycle riders were 50 or older. By 2014, it was close to half. The market has been cruising on a demographic that may only be able to buy one more bike.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-05/can-millennials-save-the-motorcycle-industry

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
The motorcycle market in USA only knows how to sell superbikes and V-twin cruisers. Nothing wrong with those bikes, but this is a market that is having trouble selling cars to young people. It's about time to come back with the UJM and show people that small displacement bikes and scooters are fun, practical and just about anyone can afford one.

Kymco is off to a good start with Spade and K-pipe, if they'd only fire whoever it is that comes up with names for their products. Seriously, do they have blackmail on the owner? A spade?  Sachs started it all off this time with MadAss but they never had much of a dealer network. Sym is in the same boat with the Wolf (and sadly the now gone Symba). I do see quite a few Groms around here. I'd say lately in good weather I see almost as many groms as cruisers.  Honda's new rebel that came out this summer is a good trend in that direction as well. i think if the market wants to stay alive its going to have to give a closer look at what new riders really want, and find a way to get buts on seats.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »
Very interesting stats and comments. They say that 4 wheels moves the body, but 2 wheels move the sole. A large number of Americans just love riding on 2 wheels and can afford to do it.  The M/C and scooter market here has had ebbs and flows over it's entire history, but I doubt that it will die..IMHO
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:45:09 PM »
Licensing fees and taxes along with individual insurance for each do prevent me from using more of mine.

Snorvey presented some interesting factoids from the bloomberg article...

I just returned from an auto trip of 2k miles in the western US and did see some motorcycles in the Very hot WX, but not near as many as I would have expected.

I also saw unused boat ramps and serious rivers with zero boats out on them !  Surprising !

Btw, traffic generally ran at 75mph to 80mph.  We ran 80-90 whenever possible, loong open distances to cover.
redk

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 05:26:57 AM »
Regarding declining sales, I do wonder how much of that is (at this stage) on the dealers/mfr's etc for not taking a harder shot at marketing to the urban crowd.
I took a ride downtown the other day, & was noting that the number of bikes, from 50cc scoots to big cruisers and sport bikes went up the further in I went.  Particularly the smaller bikes and scoots (this was about four days before amerivespa, so might have been a couple extra due to that..)
On the west coast particularly & elsewhere from what I can see as well, urban density is going up.  The ability to take private transportation you have a prayer of parking has significant value to many.   Additionally you get odd stuff like..Bikes are not required to be insured in WA, so insurance is very cheap if you get it.  50cc & down bikes in Denver get a cheap tag, not sure about insurance, but can also park on the sidewalks in Denver. (Was just down there), & similar stuff in other areas. 

Those points can make ownership for urban types pretty inexpensive.  With a few bucks to make sure that folks are aware of these things, & maybe some to do stuff like increase "moped" definition to including bigger bikes (to allow for 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke power, & encourage cleaner emissions) as well I think some inroads could be made even in colder environments (I rode my old Jawa through most of the winter in MN for moderate distances back inna day.)

Sadly the only real advocacy group I know of is the AMA, & they're all about sport bikes and cruisers far as I can tell from the spam they send me (I am a member).

That being the case, lacking a real push, you start losing folks who might otherwise pick up on the easy, user-friendly, sometime gateway bike..the humble scooter.
Whether you stick with scoots or not after your first scoot, it does at least get the ball rolling.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 08:11:09 AM »
Since I've bought my gti all the kymco dealers went tit's up.  Kymco hasn't updated their website so much for finding another one.  I do the repairs myself and can get parts off the net but still a bad vibe.  Scenic City Scooters  (Chattanooga) closed, Sloans and Battle Creek dropped Kymco

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 09:54:08 AM »
The decline in scooter sales is SELF IMPOSED in my opinion. If you don't TRY to grow your market, you can't expect success. I NEVER saw a scooter ad aimed at anyone other than the 50cc student crowd.

I was 51 when I simply STUMBLED across my Kymco Xciting. Until then I didn't even know that a highway capable scooter even existed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »
I NEVER saw a scooter ad aimed at anyone other than the 50cc student crowd.
Also not much exposure on American TV shows.

Various scooters have been shown parked outside the residence on the HBO series Silicon Valley . . including a Lance Cali Classic.

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »
I NEVER saw a scooter ad aimed at anyone other than the 50cc student crowd.

TV'wise I don't see a lot of ads for anything two wheeled. (it may have changed, if I watch the TV anymore for something non-sports, its netflix) But the last scooter commercial I can ever remember was for a Yamaha Riva.  That's going back awhile.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()