Author Topic: Valve Clearance Agility 125  (Read 8669 times)

justagirl

• View Profile
Valve Clearance Agility 125
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »
I've just been reading your stuff.  Sounds like you can do better than the manual I have for Agility 125.  I'm just trying to adjust valves as routine maint:  manual has 2 very different values:  .04 mm on one page, and .12 mm on two other pages.  Call to dealer not been answered yet.  For sure you guys know the truth on this?  ???

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Valve Clearance Agility 125
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:02:43 PM »
..the .04 spec is for the Agility 50cc scoot..i have one...  ;D

..i do believe the 125 spec is the .12mm

..Glad you joined up!! You'll like it here!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »
Today had first time valve adjustment.
The scoot has close to 20.000 kms.
The mechanic said they were a bit off. My gf went to pick it up, so she did not ask how much exactly.

I would say that adjustments every few K kms = overdoing it, especially once they are properly set.
I would say, every 5-10 K is more than enough, both for A50 and A125.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:15:09 AM »

..i would agree..

..did your scoot perform any better after the adjustment??

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »

..i would agree..

..did your scoot perform any better after the adjustment??

Before that, it used to backfire (just a bit), the carb minimum went down so sometimes it would stall and I think it lost a bit of "pick up" ability in mid revs.
It is gf's daily commuter, and I did not have the chance to test it in these few days, but when I do, I will report here.
I have noticed that minimum revs have gone up - I heard the scoot when she was coming home last time. Probably because the valves are now working correctly, as they should be, so the revs automatically go up.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:17:20 AM »
Now Agility is dead.

This morning it would not start. (it worked normally last week, it was last driven on Saturday and was parked on Sunday).

I have checked the obvious things:

- infamous "glass fuses" are OK (the horn is working, so it is not the fuse anyway...)
- there is at least 1.5 l of gasoline in the tank
- side stand does not have security switch
- I tried starting it with both levers pressed (in case that some of the micro switches has gone bad...)
- kick-starting and electrical-starting produces the same result (no result at all)
- the spark plug is new and the problem is that it looks completely dry and metal-shiny: it should be at least a bit wet because of all the gasoline that entered the port during unsuccessful cranking
- I could not test the spark by moving the spark plug cable to the metal part of the body because the spark contact is so deep inside rubber cap insulator, it can not throw the spark long enough...
- everything seems connected to the carb

The fact that the spark plug is so dry is highly suspicious to me after all this cranking. Considering that it was in the service shop last week for valve adjustment, I wonder is it possible that gas line was pressed/squeezed somewhere...OTOH the scoot did 100 kms since than during 4 days without any problems.

It was very fun playing with the scoot at 7.30 am in front of the house on the wet floor tiles and 7 C... and this evening I will continue under the same conditions + darkness...

This is the first time in 20K kms this scoot has become immobilized...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 01:01:34 AM »
..i'm thinking of a cpl possibilities...

..either you have a vacuum leak, and the fuel petcock isnt opening...

..faulty petcock..

..or simply trash in your carb...

..you can verify the vac or petcock possibility by removing the vac line that goes to the bottom of the petcock, at a T junction on the right side of your scoot...

..suck on the tube, and observe the fuel filter...

..should see a bit of fuel pass thru it when you suck...

..if not any at all, then i'd suspect the petcock...

..if fuel flows to the carb, then i'd suspect a dirty carb....

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:16:18 AM »
..i'm thinking of a cpl possibilities...

..either you have a vacuum leak, and the fuel petcock isnt opening...

..faulty petcock..

..or simply trash in your carb...

..you can verify the vac or petcock possibility by removing the vac line that goes to the bottom of the petcock, at a T junction on the right side of your scoot...

..suck on the tube, and observe the fuel filter...

..should see a bit of fuel pass thru it when you suck...

..if not any at all, then i'd suspect the petcock...

..if fuel flows to the carb, then i'd suspect a dirty carb....

None of the above.

Tore the thing apart yesterday evening (otherwise, I would not know how to spend my evening from 6 to 9 pm).

It is not the gasoline issue: all gas and vacuum lines are intact, the filter is full of gasoline and when you crank it, you can sense the smell of unburnt gasoline from the exhaust.

This lead me to concentrate on the electricity. I have once again removed and replaced the fuses (even though they were not burnt I have bad experience with glass fuses that look OK but they are dead), and I have checked the auto choke (its resistance is 16 Ohm, manual says replace if it exceeds 10 Ohm, but I guess that is not the issue here - btw. most A125 and even A50 have problems with stalling when cold, I wonder if they changed the vendor from 10 Ohm originally to 16 Ohm, and this is the reason for premature choke shut down and engine stalling!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Finally, I have disconnected the CDI to check the terminals (everything was clean and tightly connected, no loose contacts), connected it back, cranked it and it fired up IMMEDIATELY!

This is the FIRST scoot in 12 years I have had that died due to CDI and was brought back to life by simple disconnecting/connecting CDI back.

I know that modern cars engine computers are reset by disconnecting the battery, but this is the first time I hear about small carb scoot with such a feature.

I have started the scoot 10 or so times without problems and gf went to work this morning. I will monitor it for the next week and see what happens. Also notice that in case that mechanic was troubleshooting this he would (quite rightfully!) immediately replace CDI with new one to test it, find out it works, and throw away the old CDI that just needed this "reset".

I swear I have had the most incredible issues with all vehicles I have ever owned.

Now, FINALLY, I hope that I will manage to do a test drive and tell you did valve adjustment improve performance or not!!!!!
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »
Wow. What a strange little CDI you have there. Glad you got it working again, axy!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:59:53 AM »
Finally, I have disconnected the CDI to check the terminals (everything was clean and tightly connected, no loose contacts), connected it back, cranked it and it fired up IMMEDIATELY!

This is the FIRST scoot in 12 years I have had that died due to CDI and was brought back to life by simple disconnecting/connecting CDI back.

I know that modern cars engine computers are reset by disconnecting the battery, but this is the first time I hear about small carb scoot with such a feature.

I have started the scoot 10 or so times without problems and gf went to work this morning. I will monitor it for the next week and see what happens. Also notice that in case that mechanic was troubleshooting this he would (quite rightfully!) immediately replace CDI with new one to test it, find out it works, and throw away the old CDI that just needed this "reset".

..wow...keep posting...i'm listening....

;)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 07:36:35 AM »

..wow...keep posting...i'm listening....

;)

Five days later, still works without problems.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »
That's awesome, axy!

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 01:06:01 PM »
its getting colder these day...it will be back..

had same problem last winter, and check everything and now i have no clue what really happened...

then it came back to life by itself...

problem with cold moist air...
my spark cap was a little blown off  - be sure and check cap....its crap quality! like tires cheng sh** rubber...
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

robert777

• Kymco Agility 125, Grand Vista 250, and XTown 300i owner/rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 12:14:33 AM »
I just did a valve adjustment on my Agility 125, bought it used for $650 with 8500km on it, has 12,000 now, used to stall at stops until warm, and started to bog down a little, it goes now! wow, it is quick! and no stalling... nice lil bike, can't wait to see if I get a better top speed...was doing 55mph before... have to wait tho, headlamp went out, waiting for replacement and doing some bodywork (damn gravel!).

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 01:46:08 AM »
Agility 125.  I'm just trying to adjust valves as routine maint:  manual has 2 very different values:  .04 mm on one page, and .12 mm on two other pages. 
I think we're talking .04 inches vs .12mm here. (approx ".10mm vs .12mm")
Not to confuse the issue.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()