Author Topic: Agility 125 Reliability/Quality, Etc.  (Read 6188 times)

Calothrix

• View Profile
Agility 125 Reliability/Quality, Etc.
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:44:20 AM »
Hello,

I have recently started looking into purchasing a scooter and a local motorcycle shop carries the Yamaha and Kymco lines.  I was strongly considering the 2008 Yamaha Zuma but after riding one I was disappointed with the acceleration and top speed.  I decided I'd probably need to step up to a 125 cc, but I did not care for the Vino.  I never heard of Kymco, so I was hesitant to look at them, but I thought I would give them a chance.  So, what can you tell me about the reliability and quality of the Agility 125 and what can I expect for mpg's (I weigh 175 lbs)?  Thanks much for any help!   

125ccsofury

• View Profile
Re: Agility 125 Reliability/Quality, Etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:12:24 PM »
I recently purchased an Agility 125 and I am very pleased with it so far.  I commute on it 17 miles each way every day and so far I have not had any issues with it (approx 2,000 miles) other than a noisy front brake.  That was solved with the $0.98 purchase of brake pad lube from Autozone and about ten minutes of my time.  I can hit 60 mph on the open road and chug up some pretty nice hills at 45 mph (I'm about 160 lbs depending on how many beers and chicken wings I had the night before).  It doesn't have the fit and finish of some of the higher priced models and I believe it is made in Kymcos mainlaind China facility as opposed to the Taiwan factories, thus the cheaper price.  I believe it is a helathy mix of a cheaper scoot with the added comfort of purcahsing it from a dealer with a 2 year warranty (1 year fender to fender then 1 year electrical) for piece of mind.  As far as bare bones transportation I would recommend it. 

125ccsofury

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:17:36 PM »
Oh yeah sorry, I get about 70 to 75 miles per gallon depending on terrain and how gentle I am with the throttle.

Olddood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »
Calothrix:

I recently purchased an Agility 125.  That's after reading for a full year anything I could find about it and the Yamaha Zuma 50cc.  It was a tough decision that came down to:

Zuma 50 - Higher mpg.  More comfortable seat.  Less power (torque for hills).  Spiffier appearance.

Agility 125 - Good mpg.  Seat not so comfortable, but better than some others.  Power to get out of the way, climb hills and carry wife out to the farm.  Nice looks.  Price to power ratio is outstanding.

Yesterday was the Agility 125's 300k checkup.  Mechanics found it to be running good with no problems.  On my first two tanks of gas I had 77 mpg and 81.5 respectively.  May get better as it breaks in.

So far I've been very pleased with the Agility.  Could it be improved?  Yes.  Wider fairings at knees would help.  So would small boxes to hold sunglasses etc.

Now comes the hard decision for you.

50cc's in many states require only a license to drive a car.  125cc's may require a motorcycle license = new tests and driving skills test in Georgia.

In September 2008 Yamaha is coming out with the Zuma 125.  It will cost more than the Agility 125.  Can you find an Agility now?  I got the last one at the midtown dealer in Atlanta.  None available there in last 30 days.  Will there be a Zuma 125 available in September?

Whatever you do, don't make an impulse or panic purchase.  Study what your needs are first.  Cost?  MPG?  Power?  Comfort?  Distance to service center?  One or two people?  Drive everyday excluding bad weather & how far?  How difficult to attach a cooler for groceries? Etc.

My decision came down to comparatively lower price, reputation for reliability, Kymco's manufacturing history.  I live in a rural, small town with a lot less traffic than found in Atlanta where at my age I can drive slowly but pour it on if needed.  Or I can take my wife for a ride.

I'm heavier than you at 195.

Hope this will help you.

Olddood

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:26:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  The local dealership is supposed to get 2 Agility's in any day now but I'll believe it when I see them.  I also read where a 125 version of the Zuma is coming out this summer/fall.  I like the idea that it has fuel injection, but does that make it worth $1,000 more?  If the Agility's show up soon, I'll probably get one but if I have to wait much longer, I may also check out the Zuma 125.  Thanks again!

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 03:55:17 AM »
I second Olddood's comments.  I have owned many different scooters over the years.  From a 1986 Honda Elite 150 to a Aprilia SR-50 to a Piaggio BV 200, and now my new favorite, a 2007 Agility 125.  This is an amazing scooter and the best value out there I think.  It is not a Vespa, but has power and all the basics covered for $1999.  I got the last one from my local dealer and he said most Kymcos may be hard to get this year.  So if you can get your hands on one, check it out very closely and i think you'll see it is a very nice scooter.

Good luck out there and be safe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:57:03 AM by kriden »

jerrydwelsh

• View Profile
Can the Agility go further the 100 miles?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:07:56 AM »
I was visiting my brother in TN near Knoxville and as we past a Yamaha dealer I saw a sign that read " 09 Kymco Agility 125, $1,500.00"
I yelled at my brother to turn and lets go back and look at these scooters.
Went into the shop and these Agility's were new out of the box. This was in 2010. I bought one for $1,500.00 OTD.  I began making the Agility road worthy to haul me back to Utah. I rode every day till I had 300 miles on it.
I changed the oil and the rearend to Lucas full Synthetic. Added a power plug for my GPS and a homemade rear rack that attached to my rear rack.
I added a windshield and installed a new Halogan light bulb. Also a NKG Iridiam spark plug. I had the seat recovered to try to lower it. no worky, but I did have memory foam put in.

Everyone was laughing at me as I left my brothers drive and pointed myself towards Utah. running WOT at a blazing 50MPH and 72MPG. The scoot did great, I was having a time of my life. I am to old to be in a hurry. I ride back roads or you can get a bicycle map. 2,500 mile later and 9 days I am home. I made a few stops to see family and friends along the way.
I put the Kymco to the test at 12,000 feet over the rockies.
Not one problem on the entire trip.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:12:40 AM »
Kymcos are great.... a few lemons maybe , but great... My Super 8 is one year old now... almost 10,000 on the odometer and still going strong and smooth...

KennyT

• View Profile
    • www.KensFeaturedHomes.com
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
I bought a slightly used 2009 Kymco Agility 125 four weeks ago.  It is my first scooter and am loving it...
Ken
2009 Kymco Agility 125
Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
Have a 2009 bought new year and a half ago with about 7,000km on it. No problems at all. Get about 70MPG. Starts first push of button almost every time even in 50 degree morning temps. Highly recommend for inexpensive, reliable, cost effective to run scoot. I have been quoted as saying "85% the quality of a Honda or Yamaha for 65% the price".

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 10:40:56 PM »
Jerry,

You rock !    That trip is awesome - great memories I bet.

Kevin
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 06:09:25 AM »
I bought my scoot off a friend and had it for 3yrs now. Been loving it since then. No complaints here. Still learning how to self-service my scoot changing the oil, etc, and hopefully to avoid higher service fees in the future ;).

deaneop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
I have had my agility for nearly a year now and covered 10,000km without fault just simple service i travel 40miles daily 30 of those at 60mph+ and the bike just sails along also its stored out in the element's sun rain snow uncovered and starts strait up every morning.

This bike that i paid £450 (2007 and 18k) km's has saved me £2000 in train fares  ;D. One suggestion if one still has the factory tyres get shot of these asap and fit some michelin etc they completly change the way the bike handles.

All in all i would stand by Kymco all the way what a brill little bike reccomend to anyone.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()