Author Topic: Keeping things in perspective...& a medical tip  (Read 1473 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Keeping things in perspective...& a medical tip
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:20:17 AM »
OK, so another 15 days is predicted of cold, crappy, slippery roads ahead. No scooter riding.
But if that is the biggest issue I have - all things considered, I know I'm presently blessed with otherwise good fortune.

A few weeks ago, 5 days before Christmas, I was talking to my older brother (by 2 yrs). He was telling me that he was showing signs of having a case of shingles. His primary physician agreed and as it was moving quickly - he admitted him to hospital. Two nights later he died unexpectedly in the hospital. Heart attack.

My brother was riding a Piaggio long before I bought a scooter. He and his Sat. Morning Breakfast Gang of seniors all bought fairly big scooters.(Burgman 400's, etc.) None of them ever got a license, or a lesson,  that I know of , as they stayed on local county roads. This drove the local cop nuts - as it did their wives.
Finally, perhaps after a few near-offs, or in a fit of good sense (or law-abiding-ness) they all sold their scooters.
4 wives standing in the driveway with hands on hips -----had nothing to do with their decision (my brother said).

Most of the town showed up to offer their respect at my brother's funeral - including the village cop and his deputies. (my brother said that the cop was more upset that he wasn't invited for the breakfasts - than for their not quite legal scooter riding)
My brother is probably as surprised as I am - but, he was a very good man who lived a good life.
...............................................................................................

This all is to post a medical comment:
My brother had the shingles shot awhile ago. He also had numerous health issues including breathing issues from when he was a boy.
The nurse told me that the shot is only 50% effective in preventing shingles.
She also told me that in 2018 they are releasing a two-part shot that will be 80-90% effective.
I plan to look into this new shot....and I encourage others to do the same.

Stig

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:33:25 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Keeping things in perspective...& a medical tip
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:49:14 AM »
 Thanks for the tip. Thanks for sharing the memories also. I know we sometimes never get OVER certain things. But we get THROUGH them.
At any rate, I think I’ll look into it too. My dad had a “mild” case. And it wasn’t nice. Besides, I think I’ve had my share of major physical pain for a lifetime. Lol.

By the way, your brother sounds like he would have been a fun guy to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:41:55 AM »
So sorry to hear about your brother, Stig. Both passing and the shingles. My wife got them last year and recently went to remission. She is pretty tough so when she said that child birth pain was easier, I kinda got the idea she was really hurting. We will look into what you told us.

So many are going way too young. He did sound like a character like Forbes said.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »
Stig, sorry for your loss. My condolences. Many moons ago my dad got the shingles. Said it was the most painful thing he had gone through. I'll talk to my doctor about the shot. Thanks for the heads up.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
 I tried to find out if older folks get passed the shingles stage,   all they  talk about is getting it ,   do  you know what Co. is putting out this new stuff, I would like to find out if it will come to Canada,  we do like to keep up to date here by 10 years or so, did you know scooters are new here, just discovered,   I never seen one before I bought mine,  except for the foot powered ones,  just remembered seen one in a movie,  in Rome, 

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »
The new shingles vaccine is "shinglex" and it is spozed to be very effective. And it doesn't use a live virus, which makes it safe for MS and several other auto-immune diseases. My mom had shingles and it was horrific; she couldn't go outside if there was the slightest breeze as the movement of her hair caused excruciating pain. The worst of it is you never know if or when you will get better. She had it for several years. I have been nagging my clinic to get the new vaccine; no luck yet.
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:15:37 AM »
Runs $175 here for ea. of the two shots. Local CVS pharmacy and Krogers (grocery) have the Shingrix. $43 is my co-pay.
Not cheap - but I wager that sufferers would pay 10 x that to be free of it.
Going to get the first dose tomorrow.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 01:47:09 AM »
Sorry to hear about your loss. Since my heart issue in 2013 I try to make every day count and enjoy even dumb stuff to the fullest
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Stig, I simpathize and can relate
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
A few years back me and my younger brother had heart attacks seven hours apart. We lived about 130 miles from each other. I survived and he passed. I had three stints put in and had to argue with my doctor to let me out of the hospital so I could attend my brothers funeral.
A few short years later I had a severe kidney stone attack. The pain was unbearable. It was an ordeal.
About 9-10 months after that I had a case of shingles that was in my groin and lower back area. No rash at first. I thought I was having another kidney stone attack. I hurt so bad that I laid in bed for about four days and I did not eat or drink fluids. Long story short, I ended up at the emergency room because I experienced renal failure. My kidneys started shutting down. I did not know shingles would cause this kind of severe pain. The pain was so bad I could not even sit at my kitchen table.
I understand your pain and loss.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
Pharmacist said some ins. plans do not cover Shingrix shots.
Had injection #1 today...next is to be no sooner than 2 months, no later than 4 months.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 03:00:47 AM »
Shingles is the chicken pox virus roaring back from lying dormant in (typically) an older person whose immune system is weak, so if you ever had chicken pox you can get shingles, which means just about everybody. 

As "boo" can testify...the pain can be 10 out of 10.
2009 GV 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »
Shingles is the chicken pox virus roaring back from lying dormant in (typically) an older person whose immune system is weak, so if you ever had chicken pox you can get shingles, which means just about everybody. 

As "boo" can testify...the pain can be 10 out of 10.
In addition to shingles taking advantage of a weak immune system, stress is also often a factor. I remember my father being attacked by shingles during an especially stressful time in his life. His oldest sister was suffering from an extended illness . And there were several other stressful events occurring in the family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
Agree Forbes and Stuo,
Weakened systems and stress, age, prior chicken pox can leave a person wide open for shingles.
Was in for yearly Dr. visit the other day....chatting with nurse. Mentioned my brother's experience. (facial, neck shingles ~ hosp. admission ~ heart attack 48 hrs later) Her eyes got big; her husband was being admitted to hosp. with shingles that afternoon.
Crazy that some ins. co.s not covering the new shots.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 12:14:15 PM »
Agree Forbes and Stuo,
Weakened systems and stress, age, prior chicken pox can leave a person wide open for shingles.
Was in for yearly Dr. visit the other day....chatting with nurse. Mentioned my brother's experience. (facial, neck shingles ~ hosp. admission ~ heart attack 48 hrs later) Her eyes got big; her husband was being admitted to hosp. with shingles that afternoon.
Crazy that some ins. co.s not covering the new shots.
Stig
My prescription drug plan does not cover this shot, "Humana". They try real hard to not cover anything
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 10:19:55 PM »
Seems like a stupid insurance policy to not cover a vaccine that can keep one out of the hospital. Shingles can lead to hospitalization.

Yes, stress can bring on shingles and any other disease that preys on a weakened immune system, herpes and chronic fatigue syndrome being two examples.

Not just emotional, but also physical stress, such as exercising to exhaustion, inadequate sleep and too much time in the sun can be all those nasty, lurking viruses need to lay you low. I speak from experience....
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()