Author Topic: Not a fun ride today on my LIKE200i  (Read 786 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Not a fun ride today on my LIKE200i
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:05:25 AM »
A rare day on which I wished for a bigger scooter.
"Feels like 27 °F" but warming promised, so off to my coffee village this morning.

Came upon a closed road and had to backtrack on my LIKE200i and take a major rural highway which is posted at 55 mph. (=60>65mph realspeed)
I have avoided this road for 5 years with this scooter.

The Burgman/400 and the Forza/300, with their HP, weight and wheelbase, were fine on this road. Still, I avoided riding them there since I prefer a relaxed ride, with views. (not sure what the Burgman can do, but I saw 85mph a few times)

My 5 yr old LIKE, with 14,225 miles, handled the lengthy highspeed ride OK.
I hated it.
I check the oil before every ride, and checked the air in the Michelins last evening - checked fasteners last week while idle due to weather - so, failing an age related parts failure I wasn't concerned about the scooter. Who knows when something electrical will dump?

Grabbed a cup of coffee and searched my cell maps for a bettter route home.....found nothing suitable. So it was back out there running at 9/10ths (at a couple of glances tach  read 7K+. )

Didn't find my preferred parking spot, either.

My blocked route also put me on miles of pot-holed roads, and I hate beating up my scooter on those.

Stig

*do not recall what weight Dr Pulley sliders I have in there - I know they've been in there for @4+ yrs - and were a 2nd attempt. The first set I bought were too light, and gave too many revs at 35mph. If I ran this scooter at high speeds constantly I'd pay more attention to slider weights and keeping the revs down at those speeds.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:49:10 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Not a fun ride today on my LIKE200i
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »
For my commute here in the UK on the Like 200 I have about ten miles on the M1 - our motorway. As lorries are usually limited to 56mph in the EU I just tuck in behind one of them, but it's not nice.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »
For my commute here in the UK on the Like 200 I have about ten miles on the M1 - our motorway. As lorries are usually limited to 56mph in the EU I just tuck in behind one of them, but it's not nice.

I can imagine it is not. Busy roadway, cars all around -- lightweight
 short wheelbase LIKE being buffeted behind a truck!
Did your salesman tell you that "the 200cc LIKE is fully highway capable!"

It is a great scooter, but I'm not keen to run anything at +9/10ths....in or out of heavy traffic

By the way, welcome Viper !
Miles, year, service and riding impressions of your Kymco? And photos if possible.
Hang in there,
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »
Being behind the truck isn't actually too bad - if you get behind a big square one there's little buffeting due to the slipstream and it can even keep a lot of rain off you.

Hi! Was going to post a "hello" but wasn't sure where, really.

The forum's incredibly useful; I've already found loads of information I was looking for, so thanks to all for writing it.

It's a 2012 black Like 200i, 17,000 KM but this will rise quickly as I commute ~300KM a week or so.

I'm still getting used to it. I bought it when there was snow in the UK a month or so ago, as it was cheap. I gave up my Suzuki Address 110 that I'd had from new to buy it.

I'll be servicing it - I know my Chinese/Taiwanese motors well so I'm happy to take this on. Some bits and pieces are done, some need sorting out still.

Forks don't feel right, so they'll be coming off soon for new seals and oil, potentially to be reassembled with gaitors.

I'm off to Ireland on it in June so I need to get it up to speed!

I'll take some pictures of it at some point. So far I have only seemed to ride it in the dark!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
Yes, Viper, pictures of it, you and your surroundings!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()