Author Topic: New Kymco Electric scooter  (Read 772 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
looks like the Like
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
Electric cars and scoots are not practical yet, IMHO. Range is not good enough and there needs to be batteries at every 7-11 and every gas station.
May work in the future but we are not there yet.
I am aware that some countries like India and China have plans to mandate electric vehicles in the near future.
Hope that does not happen in the USA anytime soon.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: New Kymco Electric scooter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »
I am with boo...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:10:39 PM »
Electric vehicles in my view are not the answer. Their carbon foot-print is the same or greater then fossil fuel vehicles. Lithium supply is depleting. I really think we need to look at hydrogen cell vehicles.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
Electric vehicles in my view are not the answer. Their carbon foot-print is the same or greater then fossil fuel vehicles. Lithium supply is depleting. I really think we need to look at hydrogen cell vehicles.

Surely you use even more energy to produce the hydrogen?

dolac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »
I agree with all of you, but as I live in Taiwan for last 5 years, people mostly here talk about going green without knowing what stands behind those batteries..
But Kymco has to compete with Gogoro here.. There is around 25 millions scooters on a very small island and if they make a better management Gogoro will have problems.. In places like Taiwan, this model will work fine, this isn't a scooter for long trips at all, but for the city might be a good solution.. Problem here are 2 strokes which I like but no one do any maintaining and they smell extremely bed with a huge blue smoke on back..

Guess this topic should go in another forum about Kymco news :)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 12:53:12 AM »

I seem to recall there's progress being made on sodium ion batteries to make them competitive with lithium.

Regarding carbon foot print, it depends on the source of the electricity. The way the hydrogen is produced also matters.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 03:02:52 AM »
I looked up Gogoro.

They make an 60mph electric scooter with a maximum range of 60 miles when travelling at a low speed.

More importantly, they've created a battery swap infrastructure in Taipei, with battery swap locations every 0.8 miles / 1.3 km.

dolac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 04:25:18 AM »
I live in Taiwan and more and more people are complaining about them.. actually their range is around 80km, with some electric issues and electric motor bearings as well.. in the end, their management push their customer to buy membership (otherwise you can't ride it)
Prices are in USD
$10.29/month - 100km, $0,09/km after
$17.14/month - 300km, $0.09/km after
$27.45/month - 600km, $0.05/km after

As gas costs 0.93/liter it is double more expensive compared to 125/150cc scooters/motorcycles..

And the biggest issues are service shops.. They are overbooked, if you have to repair your gogoro you have to wait till 2 months what some people drive crazy and there are already 2nd hand gogoro on sale..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()