Author Topic: The Sonicsix Update  (Read 616 times)

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
The Sonicsix Update
« on: April 04, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
Way, way back on July 16, 2013 I was riding my awesome Kymco Like 200i.  The sun was shining, the wind was blowing through my Mesh Riding Jacket, my helmet cam was recording the "goings on" around me and all was well.  As I approached an upcoming intersection, I began to slow down so I could make a left hand turn. In the distance approaching me from the opposite direction was a car who indicated they would be making a left turn.  On my left, coming up the road I intended to turn on, was a Chevy Avalanche pickup truck which was zooming up to his stop sign. The car coming at me was far enough away that I could safely make my turn, all the while I was watching the truck.  I noticed the front of the truck nose dive indicating he was hitting his brakes for his stop sign. Just as I entered the intersection, the driver of the truck glanced to his right and floored it... I was right in front of him! I had no time to react other than to think he would smash my fingers on my handlebars, so I lifted my fingers on my left hand. He hit me hard, warping my body over his hood, throwing me about 20 feet and pulling the scooter under his truck. The impact broke my left shoulder blade and collar bone, it tore the tendons in my right shoulder and badly bruised me all up and down my left side.  It did not however, mash my fingers on my handlebar. :)

After the wreck, I sold my Cam Am Spyder (the Kymco was totaled). Due to my injuries I could not ride so why let the Spyder sit.  It took over 3 years and 1 shoulder surgery to get somewhat close to back to normal. After nearly 4 years since the wreck, the truck driver's insurance paid up.  Yes it was a lot but I won't say how much.  Going back to before the wreck, the reason I rode scooters and finger-shift Spyders is that I have a spinal cord injury and I cannot control my left foot to shift gears on a regular motorcycle. While contemplating getting another scooter I found out that Honda came out with the fully automatic NM4. It was low slung so I could get my gimpy leg over it and it had no gears so I could ride it! Hmmm... $11,000.  Bah, pocket change nowadays so I bought one.  700cc is awesome versus the 163cc of the Like 200i. It turns heads like nothing else, gets roughly 55 MPG and is a blast to ride.  I bought some leather riding pants, a new helmet cam (my old one was damaged in the wreck, plus it had no audio), new gloves and a new helmet. Now when the weather is nice, I hit the roads.

Below are a few pics and videos of me for those interested.  I don't have a Kymco anymore which is why I haven't posted here in the last several years. Stig asked me share this update so I did.  Y'all ride safe out there and if you are near Brent, Alabama give me a shout.

Note: Here are links to all the stuff I have going on for those that may be interested.
http://TabernacleFarm.com
https://www.youtube.com/sonicsix
http://RVRoadTrip.us
http://gosonicsix.com

The wreck just after it happened. Notice me on the ground?

Home after the shoulder surgery. I was not happy.

The new bike...

Me in my new gear...
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

big blue

• View Profile
Re: The Sonicsix Update
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »
Nice to have you back Six, cool looking ride! :D
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
I wondered where you went! Yow, what a nightmare! I am glad Stig convinced you to check back in! Please don't be a stanger. That Honda (?) is intimidating!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 08:15:43 PM »
Jerry coming together with a Chevy.....here.

Experts say to always ride wearing a white helmet - as the helmet is the most visible object of a moving motorcycle - but he still missed seeing you!
Well Jerry, we are very glad you are mostly OK, and able to be out riding again.
And I can understand you being PO'd coming out of surgery to find that someone had dressed you in burgundy velvet jammies! :)

Have you taken any DIY videos of servicing your Honda? An oil change for example?
Any idea how many of those were sold in N.America - and are they discontinued now?

I consider myself a life-long fan of Honda motorcycle and some scooter designs (Forza & SilverWing)  but was surprised that Honda went ahead with the production of the NM4.

Thanks again, good to hear from you Jerry after nearly 5 years.
Ride safe

Stig
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:21:41 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:22:58 PM »
Glad you are back up and riding and that Honda looks great.  I am another one that wears a white helmet now all the time as I recently noticed whilst on a few walks how much a white helmet stands out in traffic.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:00:03 PM »
Good to have ya back on the road. 
Definitely a cool looking helmet, & The NM4 does have some personality.

That said I must know...What are you going to do now that you've become the Batman?
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 12:59:11 AM »
Once a rider always a rider. I'm already a sub to your channel on Youtube. Glad to see you back on this forum too. Great bike!!

- Wolf (Scooterwolf's Motovlog)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 04:28:13 AM »
 I remember you talking about your accident a long time ago, then I saw the video recently. I can understand the amount of time to recover. Good to see you are up and around again.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()