Author Topic: How many are riding orphaned scooters?  (Read 1709 times)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: How many are riding orphaned scooters?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
Alliance Powersports picked up SYM.
https://www.alliancepowersports.com
They had a pre-existing relationship with SYM to produce Lance bikes so it seemed a reasonable jump.

As far as why SYM hasn't recovered, I'd tend to think it's how they're treating dealers & customers,that the market's still weak & Kymco solidly, & competently filling the niche they'd compete in, thus making it tougher to get traction.
Our local SYM/Kymco dealer doesn't stock a lot of SYMs.  He mostly sells Lance & Kymco.

About the only SYMs I ever see him stock are Fiddles, & HD200s, & the Wolf.  He used to keep the SYMBA in stock as well, but those were discontinued.

Personally I think the industry as a whole is missing out on some opportunities to help push the practical side of bikes as inner city transportation by hitting up the cities and such for parking, lane splitting and related.  Maybe get in the press as something other than "Motorcyclist killed"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:36:14 PM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »
Alliance Powersports picked up SYM.
https://www.alliancepowersports.com
They had a pre-existing relationship with SYM to produce Lance bikes so it seemed a reasonable jump.

As far as why SYM hasn't recovered, I'd tend to think it's how they're treating dealers & customers,that the market's still weak & Kymco solidly, & competently filling the niche they'd compete in, thus making it tougher to get traction.
Our local SYM/Kymco dealer doesn't stock a lot of SYMs.  He mostly sells Lance & Kymco.

About the only SYMs I ever see him stock are Fiddles, & HD200s, & the Wolf.  He used to keep the SYMBA in stock as well, but those were discontinued.

Personally I think the industry as a whole is missing out on some opportunities to help push the practical side of bikes as inner city transportation by hitting up the cities and such for parking, lane splitting and related.  Maybe get in the press as something other than "Motorcyclist killed"

Bingo sir !

Most Kymco/SYM dealers simply prefer not to deal with the problems SYM creates for them. Self induced failure.

At one time my mega dealer had every SYM in the line on the floor. No more. Plenty of lance as you stated. That’s for the price point, hard to beat. But not a single new SYM except the fiddle.

They’ve created their own hell far past the fires. My RV200 was the best scoot I’ve ever owned and I’ve had 2 cali classics I love. But they are the last I’ll own.

I don’t have long term trust in them and I have beaten the drum for the in the past. No longer.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 01:42:09 PM »
This is interesting to read. In the UK, SYM dwarfs Kymco.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

mcdcfc3

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:27 PM »
I holiday in Greece each year. On the island of Skiathos it is all Sym that is ridden by locals and in the hire depots. On the island of Zakynthos it is all Kymco. The market must be huge given the number you see

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 12:09:01 AM »
It seems like SYM got of to the wrong foot in the US right off the bat and never fully recovered. The PGO scooters (Buddy) sold by Genuine have done well because they have a good distributor that has marketed well and supports their product.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

christianblessing

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 05:01:34 AM »
While my permanent home is in very rural southeastern Arizona, I currently live and work in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Not many Sym here, but my Modenas Elegan was built locally under license from Sym. It's been great for 9 years, but now Modenas builds under license from Kymco. At my 2nd home in Thailand I have a Sym Fiddle but the 2 dealers nearest me quit Sym.

In AZ I have a Kymco People 250 and a Like 200i, but the the closest Kymco dealer/service, in Tucson (90 miles away), has closed.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Kymco X-Town 300
Kymco People 250
Kymco 200i
Vespa P125X
Yamaha N Max 155

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »
It seems like SYM got of to the wrong foot in the US right off the bat and never fully recovered. The PGO scooters (Buddy) sold by Genuine have done well because they have a good distributor that has marketed well and supports their product.

Genuine has its problems. No question they sell a bunch of buddies but that’s about it.
The Stella’s , now out, sat in showrooms. Hooligans and roughhouse, ehh.

They have a tough road ahead.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 12:02:23 PM »
In the UK we also have Lexmoto, who are, in some months, the biggest motorcycle seller in the entire country.

They are mostly rebranded Senke, Wangye and Znen models, but it very much reinforces your point that it's more to do the with the dealer distribution and support.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
My local Kymco dealer stopped being a kymco dealer a few years ago.  It hasn't really been an issue.  I have had a couple of electrical issues but they still worked on it and were able to fix them.  For the most part I do my own maintenance.  I do have a Kymco dealer about 2 hours away if needed. 

BTW my Super 8 went over 30,000 miles a few days ago.

Nice. You should get many more miles out of it.I had the agilty and got 50.000 u.s.miles on mine.would of got more but the age of the scott hot the best of it
And I hit a pot hole that broke the case right in half.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()