Author Topic: Minor Overhaul - Like 200i  (Read 5130 times)

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Overhaul - Like 200i
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18:22 PM »
Thanks Stig - that's brilliant - and I can see a mistake I've made so I'll need to go back and correct a video!

David, scooters are a joy to work on - you'll be fine
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 12:24:34 AM »
I'll add my 2-cents worth: when you remove the CVT cover don't loose the two little alignment/keeper pins that will try to fall out and roll away. Remove the cover slooowly and you will see those alignment pins, or tubes, or keepers, or whatever they are called, in either the cover in your hand or the bracket on the bike...or the ground. 
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 01:42:25 AM »
I did not wing the first CVT/BELT/SLIDER/CLUTCH rodeo without paying close attention to my www.cyclepedia.com on-line service manual for the Kymco LIKE200i.
I'd never seen the guts of a scooter before....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 06:49:46 AM »
I'll add my 2-cents worth: when you remove the CVT cover don't loose the two little alignment/keeper pins that will try to fall out and roll away. Remove the cover slooowly and you will see those alignment pins, or tubes, or keepers, or whatever they are called, in either the cover in your hand or the bracket on the bike...or the ground.

Yes, we call them dowels - they're happily attached to my belt cover!

I think I may end up doing the videos as I'm not particularly happy with them; I think I would release the clutch next time rather than leaving it in situ.

Also I put my sliders in the wrong way around :(

So all in all, I'll be needing to do this bit of the process again. That's fine! All part of the learning process.

I've no idea if the new belt is making a difference, but pull-away is a bit smoother and now I have a spare under the seat :)
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 09:53:01 PM »
"Dowels"...of course. I sh**ta known that term. Thanks.
2009 GV 250

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 07:55:58 AM »
Work's been a bit slow over the last couple of weeks as I've been making various family visits (300 miles away) and been using the bike for work every day. 2000KM since April now!

The Maxxis front tyre has worn in really well. I am really pleased with it.

I'm starting to get a proper feel for the scooter now. I'm a lot more confident in blipping, filtering through heavy traffic, cornering and expecting the shuffle on any poor road surface.

The worrying hip ache that I was getting when I first had the bike has pretty much subsided. I think I was out of scooter practice after having a few months off!

I had a gift voucher to use, so I bought some Ride-On tyre sealant/balancer to see what it's like. Some people rave about it, others have slagged it off, but I thought it was worth a punt as a defence against punctures when I'm off in a few weeks touring.

As a balancer, it seems to work well; there's a little less vibration at the front and a definite smoothness added.

However, at £32 a bottle (more than £120 a litre!) it's more expensive than the tyres that are fitted :(
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
Funny comment about the price of that stuff.
I carry inflater and repair kits under both seats....touch wood still in their wrappers after 5 yrs.
 One flat i had on the Forza was too big to fix....had to be flat-bedded to dealer.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 11:28:12 AM »
Funny comment about the price of that stuff.
I carry inflater and repair kits under both seats....touch wood still in their wrappers after 5 yrs.
 One flat i had on the Forza was too big to fix....had to be flat-bedded to dealer.
Stig

I'll be carrying plugs when I'm away for sure. I've been lucky with punctures for a few years, which probably means I'm due one!
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »
I have a small repair kit under my seat which includes a lezyne high pressure hand pump.  I let out a lot of air one day and used the pump and although it was not real quick it did the job.  One of the local bike shops sells them so the must be ok although I got mine off ebay at a lot better price.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
We've had some nice, hot days this week and a real lack of supervision at work, so I've been able to have a good, close look at the underbelly of the scooter. There's some work to be done down here as well, though nothing's out of hand as of yet.

The rear shocks look bad, and I'm struggling to get them to adjust as the terrible spray paint job is holding them in place. I think they'll clean up OK when I manage to get them off, but for the mean time I'm planning to swap them with the shocks off the newer bike.

That's just a gratuitous shot of the rear tyre and exhaust - note the missing end piece off the exhaust. I will shortly be pilfering the end piece from the other bike, again!

The belt cover isn't looking too smart, and has already had one (quite poor) respray. I can't see me getting it done before leaving in a few weeks, but I'd like to have it off, resprayed in a proper zinc primer and then with aluminium paint or black.

Base of the rear shock is, again, not pretty. The little bracket supporting the mudguard has started to rust, especially on the rear, so that needs to come off for the primer and paint treatment this weekend!

A better shot of the rear shock.

As you can see, the centre stand rubber is missing, which is a great shame, and there's been damage to the belt cover here at some point, which worries me as I can't see how it's been done. I haven't checked if the other bike has a centre stand rubber yet, but I'm planning to pinch the centre stand off the other bike, spray it up and swap it with this one as the rust has set in a bit. The stand lugs on the frame are also suffering with a light rusting, so they'll need wire brushing and some paint to keep them solid. After all this, I can apply ACF50 grease to this lower section of the frame to slow down any further deterioration!

See the little black cap in the top of this photo? That's the airbox drain. I pulled out the bung, expecting a few drops of water, and got my hands soaked with foul-smelling deposits of rusty, stagnant water with a tinge of petrol smell. It took me hours to get rid of the smell! It's clearly never been drained until now.

This is what the rubber bung is connected to at the other end. It's up at the airbox.

On the way home from work, I have to take a rest nowadays, so I stop by this duck pond in a village. There's been an ice cream van parked there recently too :D The top box, unsurprisingly, needs some work as well, hence the bungie holding it on.

This is a gratuitous shot of where I grew up. I was down there at the weekend. The biking roads are amazing.

However, the Derbyshire lanes are also pretty cool.

Did I post pictures of the pannier rails and the luggage rack support getting a respray?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:25:36 AM by Viper254 »
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »
Looks like you shock is on the firmest setting.  I had my shocks adjusted to the middle one but may try giving the softest setting a go and see how that feels.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »
I'm going to need the mole grips to loosen them off
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2018, 09:47:27 PM »
Hello,
A question.
What is it that has eaten up your scooter to this degree?
The constant wetness of the climate?

It's not the use salt on your roads, is it?

The winter grit used on the roads?

Never being covered?

Just curious - Your photos display an amazing amount of deterioration of the metals.
My LIKE is the same age as is your scooter - but looks much different.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 10:13:20 PM »
To be honest, I can't answer that. The UK is quite wet, but I don't know anything about the bike before I bought it.

My old Suzuki 110 looked worse than this at 3 years old. That was uncovered and run all year, though.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »
Right, sorry for the lack of updates; I've been knocked a bit sideways with family committments this week and I'm supposed to be leaving next Wednesday for Ireland so hopefully all will come together!

This beautifully bent piece of metal is a spotlight bracket that uses the original rectifier mounting behind the front panel for a mounting, snakes downwards and protrudes through the little grille at the bottom of the nose, from which the mesh has been removed.

It will be switchable - dependant on the full beam being on of course.

More pictures to follow, perhaps this evening.

Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()