Author Topic: Minor Overhaul - Like 200i  (Read 5129 times)

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Overhaul - Like 200i
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »
Leaving tomorrow for the trip. I'm well behind with my pictures. I'll update in the pictures/stories thread when I'm back :) Stay safe!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »
Have a great and safe trip.   ;)

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »
Leaving tomorrow for the trip. I'm well behind with my pictures. I'll update in the pictures/stories thread when I'm back :) Stay safe!
Can’t wait to see those pics. 

Has anyone changed out their headlight bulb to something more visible?    Need to be seen!   Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
Can’t wait to see those pics. 

Has anyone changed out their headlight bulb to something more visible?    Need to be seen!   Lol.

A couple of us are using this bulb
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9003MVB1-MotoVision-Motorcycle-Replacement/dp/B077DB54QF
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Thx Stig!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Changing wheel on Like 200i - much more complex th
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »
Changing the rear wheel on a Kymco Like 200i - much more complex than expected.

Before you start, make sure you have a good system for laying out your bolts to recall which part of the bike they are from. You'll thank yourself later!

1) Open seat and remove the seat bucket; 2x 10mm bolts near the fuel cap, 2x 10mm bolts at the front of the seat buckets and two screws near the seat hinge.

2) Remove the luggage rack, using the two bolts that attach the rear bracket to the body and the two allen-headed bolts that secure the pillion arm rests to the frame.

3) Remove the four large silver screws; two hold the lower side panel in place on both sides of the bike. They're likely to be stiff and you'll need the right screwdriver!

4) Remove two fairing screws; one from each corner of the rear mudguard where it meets the lower side panel. This isn't necessary, but will make life easier.

5) Remove the lower side panels by moving them forward and back until they unclip. Put them somewhere safe!

6) Where the seat bucket previously was, look inside the fairing. about halfway across the cavity, at the sides, there's two 10mm bolts, one on each side, holding the fairing on. Undo and remove each one carefully, taking care not to break any tabs off the bodywork panels.

7) Remove the spark plug inspection cover, which is located down near the battery, below the seat joint. There's two fairing screws to remove, then it should unclip.

8 ) It should now be possible to gently detach the entire rear plastics from the bike, and lift it off and away. As you lift it, you'll need to disconnect the plugs for the back lights! Plonk the plastics somewhere safe.

9) Let's have a look at the exhaust now. With a 12mm socket, get under the bike and undo the two M12 cap nuts that secure the exhaust to the manifold.

10) The O2 sensor for the exhaust is plugged into the loom by a 2x2 plug that can probably be found just above the fan cover. Unplug it from the loom so that nothing gets pulled unnecessarily.

11) Continuing with the 12mm socket, move around to the exhaust and remove the bolts that secure it to the bracket. There's 2 bolts on the 200cc bike, and 3 on the 125cc bike. Keep them safe.

12) It should now be possible to gently remove the exhaust and take it away from the bike.

13) Now we can remove the rear shock. The lower bolt passes through the exhaust mounting bracket, and can be undone with a M12 socket. The upper bolt is near the fuel tank, and will require a 14mm socket to remove, and some considerable force. The shock should then be released!

14) It's time to loosen the wheel nut and remove it. You need a 24mm socket and a lot of force. I had to use a "breaker bar" and get somebody to hold the back brake locked whilst I applied the needed force to release the nut! Keep the nut and the two spacers behind it safe.

15) Let's release the brake calliper. It's two 12mm bolts on the exhaust mounting bracket, then the calliper can be teased off the rear wheel. I had to use a mallet to gentle persuade it to come away.

17) There's one 8mm bolt that holds the brake hose to the mounting bracket. It's an optional step, but worth removing it for ease of movement.

18) Now, there's two 12mm bolts left holding the mounting bracket in place. They hold the bracket to the engine. Release them and slide the bracket away!

19) There is one small bolt (M10 or M8 head, I can't recall now) that is holding the rear hugger in place, up and left a little from the fan grille. This needs to be removed.

20) Slide the wheel off the shaft, taking care to retrieve the spacer that will slide out with it.

Congratulations, you have removed the wheel! If anybody knows if any of the steps here were unnecessary, I'd welcome your feedback; I've never owned a scooter where it's such a palava to get the wheel off!

NB: I've since been informed by Stig that it's possible to get the rear wheel off without removing the shock, and therefore the bodywork, by moving the wheel carefully between the two shocks from the rear. I'll be trying this next time!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:34:36 AM by Viper254 »
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=24130.msg171050#msg171050

Took some photos of the install.

many of my removall photos are missing.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=24124.msg171011#msg171011

Found only these

Stig
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:15:04 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »
Thanks Stig. I'm pleased to see that it can be done without removing the shock; I clearly wasn't thoughtful enough in trying to manipulate the bits and pieces at the back end.

The good news is that I now have the decrepit rear shock replaced; the newer bike's rear shock is on the right hand side. The left hand side one still needs swapping out.

Despite repairs undertaken in spring, I think the original exhaust is not long for this world. There's more holes and rust flakes in it :( but I can't afford the GPR replacement at the moment, so it'll need to hang on a bit longer.

I've swapped the wheel from the donor bike (Like 125) onto the 200 now to get the last couple of thousand miles out of the tyre that's fitted. The right-angled valve is an absolute revalation.

Rear brake calliper isn't looking great either. Work will shortly commence on getting the spare (from the 125) taken off, the pots cleaned, the pins freed and then swapping this onto the bike so the same can happen to the 200's calliper.

Considering this is the better calliper, I'm reluctance to look at the front.

Also on the to-do list is to swap the centre stand over from the 125 (less corroded) after it's had the zinc galv spray treatment.

This Kymco has quite the dual personality. Despite there being a fair amount wrong with it, it's still going after a 2500 UK lap. I guess it just needs TLC.

Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()