Author Topic: Prices. Americans. Italians.  (Read 361 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Prices. Americans. Italians.
« on: April 14, 2018, 11:21:53 PM »
I set about finding a matching "Ibis Rosso" (red) top case, with DRL and brake lighting for my Piaggio Liberty.

$299 gets me the Piaggio "Rosso" (red) case; $117 for the base plate kit; $150 for a generic light bar to mount under the top case.
So, for $566 plus tax and shipping I'm in. Figure $600, easy.

That is 20% of what I paid for the scooter, and would buy 20% of the autos in my town.

The Bestem 929 case I installed on my LIKE200i was $125. It came with wrap-around DRL LEDs, Brake lighting LEDs, and the mounting kit.
That's 4% of the cost of my LIKE.
Interesting.
Wish Bestem made a smaller lighted case.

Stig

FYI, Americans are asking @ 60% more than the prices in the E.U. for the Piaggio cases.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Prices. Americans. Italians.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 11:36:44 PM »
When I was contemplating a Vespa GTS, I was checking out the Vespa top cases. Between the cost of the rack and the top case, it would have been $400.00 - $500.00. I wondered if it was the Piaggio mark up or just the Italian labor costs that made  the price so high. The color matching is nice, but not to that price.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »
When I was contemplating a Vespa GTS, I was checking out the Vespa top cases. Between the cost of the rack and the top case, it would have been $400.00 - $500.00. I wondered if it was the Piaggio mark up or just the Italian labor costs that made  the price so high. The color matching is nice, but not to that price.

What I am seeing is the American mark-up!
Vespas are promoted as works of Italian art by the few American dealers. My case is much, much cheaper in the E.U., where Vespa is just one of a bazillion pretty scooters.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:11:37 AM »
It's quite interesting, as in the UK, anything by Piaggio is quite overpriced but we're able to get it tariff-free (for now) from the domestic Italian market, so it's not too bad if you're creative about it. The same is true of Peugeot.

Log on to EU eBay though, and you can get all you desire... if you can speak Italian  :-X
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()