Author Topic: I need major help with my 2012 super 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1376 times)

chucky19977

• View Profile
I need major help with my 2012 super 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »
ok heres whats going on ......... I bought my super 8 from someone online from what i understand from what the person tells me it is bored out to a 170.... it ran great and i was having fun with it when i got to ride it..... couple weeks ago a guy at work got on it and dumped it didint do much to the bike put a small hole in the fairing underneath where your feet sit he was hurt more then the bike.... bike fired back up with no problem and i drove it the 8 to 10 miles home ...... a few days later i jumped on it it fired right up i drove it back to work and i for got lunch so i got back on it drove maybe a mile went into the store came it out if had a small problem starting took like 4 times hitting the starter then it fired up and i started back i got up to about 45 mph and half way back and it was like someone turned a light swithch off on the motor it just stopped i coasted to a stop i tried to start it again got nothing so i pushed it back to work ..... i put it in the shop and let it sit over night thinking maybe it over heated well nothing the next day the kill switch felt a little weird to me so i put a lighted toggle on it and the bike is trying to turn over i ran the battery down trying to start it so i hooked up a jump box and as long as i hold the starter switch on the bar it will spin like its gonna start but i have to hold it for a min but this thing refuses to fire over and run....... i have checked the fuses by the battery they are good i have checked the plug against a bolt i see spark also the plug wire black surround is broke but its still making a contection to the pin that clips over the plug...... today i pulled the carb and that thing looks brand new in the bowl like there was no gunk in it at all...... will someone please help this is my only form of transportation and i need it to get back and forth to work so this is something i have to figure out quick any help would be greatly appreciated

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: I need major help with my 2012 super 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:36:57 PM »
Damaged spark plug wires can short out to the engine, resulting in no spark at the plug.

Running the starter for a long time is probably a bad idea.

You might check that fuel is actually getting to the carburetor. I'm not familiar with this scooter, but maybe there's a way to check the fuel level in the carburetor bowl, or just look at the output from the fuel pump.

How does the spark plug itself look?

You could check that no vacuum lines were damaged when it was dropped.

You can also check the engine compression.

chucky19977

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:35:55 PM »
ok didi more checks to the bike i now no longer have anymore spark to the plug and not sure why here the next thing i need to figure out now is if i have the gy6 motor or not and would it be a good idead to replace the cdi unit ant the same time as the plug wire

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:05:17 PM »
I wouldn't personally replace the CDI without testing the other components (stator, pickup coil, electrical connections) first. Someone else more familiar with them would be better to tell you how to do this.

Most likely the spark plug wire is part of the ignition coil, so that will rule out everything past the CDI, except for the spark plug itself.

Some safety switches such as the kill switch might also allow it to turn without firing. Although it sounds like you tested this?

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:08:35 PM »
The CDI in my Super 8 went out and needed to be replaced.  It wasn't that expensive but as others have said you might want to rule out other components before replacing it.  I took mine to a local bike shop for troubleshooting.  Total cost including troubleshooting, cost of the CDI and installing it was around $185.

I think I had around 25,000 miles on mine when that happened.  I'm over 30K now.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 02:06:55 AM »
9 times out of 10, if it won't start, it's the kill switch.  Especially if it sits outdoors.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »
I'd replace the spark plug cap before trying anything else, and check the cable running up to the coil isn't damaged. That'd be the cheapest starting point!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 02:53:19 PM »
And the thing to remember: it usually starts within two revolutions means when IT DOES NOT DO THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG and continually pushing the starter button will not fix it.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »
So what is the latest?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()