Author Topic: Service/Maintenance dealership prices  (Read 2909 times)

otavio

• View Profile
Service/Maintenance dealership prices
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:21:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

Took my 2018 Super 8 150x to do the first 200mi service today and the authorized dealership is charging $120 for that.

Do you think this price is cheap, average or expensive? How much do you usually pay?

Btw, I live in San Diego, CA.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:30:54 PM by otavio »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Service/Maintenance dealership prices
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:18:22 PM »
Outrageous! But it is San Diego and I'm cheap!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 01:03:50 AM »
First service is at 200, not 600 miles?
Replacing the gear and engine oil, having coffee, a smoke, do the paperwork. .....1+ hr labor and fluids. $120 seems reasonable.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Jmerr17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

Took my 2018 Super 8 150x to do the first 200mi service today and the authorized dealership is charging $120 for that.

Do you think this price is cheap, average or expensive? How much do you usually pay?

Btw, I live in San Diego, CA.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Rip off if you ask me..1 quart of oil and 180 mL of gear oil that's it no special solutions....if you watch the videos and see how much they charge..You'll be pist

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

otavio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
First service is at 200, not 600 miles?
Replacing the gear and engine oil, having coffee, a smoke, do the paperwork. .....1+ hr labor and fluids. $120 seems reasonable.
Stig

Stig, first service at 200 miles, second at 600. Below are the steps written in the manual for the first one:

200 MILES / 300 KM

Engine Oil - REPLACE
Engine Oil strainer - CLEAN
Gear Oil - REPLACE
Spark Plug - CLEAN
Valve Clearance - ADJUST
Carburetor - INSPECT
Air Cleaner (filter) - CLEAN
Battery - INSPECT
Brake System - INSPECT
Tires - INSPECT
Bolt & Nuts - TIGHTEN

Valve clearance adjustment and carburetor inspection: the only reason I'm considering to do the service at the dealership, as I don't have the tools and much knowledge to do it. Everything else is pretty simple and would cost me less than $20 and maybe 30-40 min of work!  >:(

For the 600 miles service, manual recommends only engine oil change and to inspect spark plug, air filter, battery, brakes, tires, bolts and nuts. At least this one I can do by myself.

Rip off if you ask me..1 quart of oil and 180 mL of gear oil that's it no special solutions....if you watch the videos and see how much they charge..You'll be pist

Jmerr Yeah the only reason I'm considering to pay for it is because of the valve clearance adjustment and carburetor inspection. Everything else is pretty simple and easy to do
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:43:42 PM by otavio »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
Stig, first service at 200 miles, second at 600. Below are the steps written in the manual for the first one:

200 MILES / 300 KM

Engine Oil - REPLACE
Engine Oil strainer - CLEAN
Gear Oil - REPLACE
Spark Plug - CLEAN
Valve Clearance - ADJUST
Carburetor - INSPECT
Air Cleaner (filter) - CLEAN
Battery - INSPECT
Brake System - INSPECT
Tires - INSPECT
Bolt & Nuts - TIGHTEN

Valve clearance adjustment and carburetor inspection: the only reason I'm considering to do the service at the dealership, as I don't have the tools and much knowledge to do it. Everything else is pretty simple and would cost me less than $20 and maybe 30-40 min of work!  >:(

For the 600 miles service, manual recommends only engine oil change and to inspect spark plug, air filter, battery, brakes, tires, bolts and nuts. At least this one I can do by myself.

Jmerr Yeah the only reason I'm considering to pay for it is because of the valve clearance adjustment and carburetor inspection. Everything else is pretty simple and easy to do

Youtube valve adjust of a Super 8, by forum member   

I have just never heard of a dealership that will pull the spark plug, clean the airfilter and strainer, drain and fill the engine and gear oil, look at the tires and battery (?), re-torque important fasteners,  AND remove the plastics to remove the valve cover and check the valve clearances...... no matter the mileage....for $120. !! 

Again - unless that is for all practical purposes a "freebee" service to the new owner provided by the this very rare dealer?

I get that all the rest will be done - then they will listen to the engine to see if there is valve clatter. And of course at 200 miles it will sound fine - as it will at 600 miles.

No one that I know of has ever pressed a dealership by asking, "Did you really check my valves?"
But, you know what?.....I have also never heard of a young scooter that grenaded because the valves were off. Never. Not in any forum. None.

I'm not saying that scooters don't need valve adjustments --- and I've only been goofing around with scooters for 5 years - ( a Honda Forza 300, a Suzuki Burgman 400, a Piaggio 155 and a Kymco 163) but I've come to the thinking that valve checks are most often needed more by the owner, than the scooter.

So, I say - let them do the service. Get it logged in the scoot's service record. The valves will be fine, either way.
Do the other stuff yourself per the schedule in the months and years to come - and give some thought to learning to do your own valve checks in the future.

Stig

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:55:24 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

otavio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:49:47 PM »
Youtube valve adjust of a Super 8, by forum member   

I have just never heard of a dealership that will pull the spark plug, clean the airfilter and strainer, drain and fill the engine and gear oil, look at the tires and battery (?), re-torque important fasteners,  AND remove the plastics to remove the valve cover and check the valve clearances...... no matter the mileage....for $120. !! 

Again - unless that is for all practical purposes a "freebee" service to the new owner provided by the this very rare dealer?

I get that all the rest will be done - then they will listen to the engine to see if there is valve clatter. And of course at 200 miles it will sound fine - as it will at 600 miles.

No one that I know of has ever pressed a dealership by asking, "Did you really check my valves?"
But, you know what?.....I have also never heard of a young scooter that grenaded because the valves were off. Never. Not in any forum. None.

I'm not saying that scooters don't need valve adjustments --- and I've only been goofing around with scooters for 5 years - ( a Honda Forza 300, a Suzuki Burgman 400, a Piaggio 155 and a Kymco 163) but I've come to the thinking that valve checks are most often needed more by the owner, than the scooter.

So, I say - let them do the service. Get it logged in the scoot's service record. The valves will be fine, either way.
Do the other stuff yourself per the schedule in the months and years to come - and give some thought to learning to do your own valve checks in the future.

Stig

Stig, thank you for the answer and suggestions. I have watched a couple videos like this one and I will definitely do my own valve checks in the future.

I scheduled the service for Wednesday.

But just out of curiosity, what do you think they really end up doing in this service? Only engine and gear oil change, and an inspection in the brake system?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 12:10:44 AM »
Yeah, the oils and oil screen, checking idle and lights,. ...give her a listen at starts and some throttle, throttle play, brake lever feel and fluid levels.
Hit the critical fasteners, maybe tire pressure. With fluids and an hour of labor...$120 seems reasonable. My dealer wanted $368 to do the first serv. on my LIKE200i.
I didn't protest....I just never brought it in. Since this was to be my economical mode of work commuting. ....figured I'd better to learn to do it myself.
First valve check was slow....but following cyclepedia.com instructions found it pretty easy. Biggest barrier to do a valve check is getting body panels off....but you and I have a very easy scooter, compared to many. Plus we have videos of our scooter models on youtube.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

otavio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
Stig, thanks again for your help!

After hearing your suggestions and reading a lot about the topic, I decided to do it by myself. Not because of the price (I also think it’s reasonable for SD), but because this is indeed a pretty easy scooter and there are tons of information online and lots of “how-to” videos. Besides that, IMO it is very important to understand how your own scooter works.

Yesterday, I changed the engine and gear oil (Mobil 1 Racing 4T Motorcycle Oil / Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS), cleaned up the oil strainer, checked braker lever, throttle play, lights, main bolts, nuts and fasteners. I also listened to the start and idle a few times, and drove it around to feel and listen to the throttle/acceleration.

Everything seems to be working perfectly fine and besides the oil and gear lube changes and cleaning up the strainer, I didn’t have to do any adjustments as the braker lever, throttle play, lights, bolts, nuts and fasteners are ok.

Today I’m just going to clean the air-filter (I'm pretty sure there won't be much to clean) and check tire pressure.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:27:43 AM by otavio »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 04:24:18 PM »
👍
Syig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 05:10:02 PM »
Super 8 150 use engine oil in the gearbox?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

otavio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 01:29:42 AM »
Super 8 150 use engine oil in the gearbox?

No.

Engine: Mobil 1 Racing 4T Motorcycle Oil (Full Synthetic) 10w-40
Gearbox: Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75w-90

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »
Inspect the Carb???  I've got over 30,000 miles on my super 8 and have never inspected the Carb :o
Valve check at 200 miles.  I checked mine at 2500 miles and they were still good.  I've done a number of valve check but they seldom needed adjustment.  Clean the spark plug at 200 miles???  I replace my plug about every 5,000 miles. 

If you take your scooter to the shop every time the manual calls for something it will get real expensive.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

otavio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »
Inspect the Carb???  I've got over 30,000 miles on my super 8 and have never inspected the Carb :o
Valve check at 200 miles.  I checked mine at 2500 miles and they were still good.  I've done a number of valve check but they seldom needed adjustment.  Clean the spark plug at 200 miles???  I replace my plug about every 5,000 miles. 

If you take your scooter to the shop every time the manual calls for something it will get real expensive.

That’s great to know, thanks a lot Klaviator!

I will check the valves and spark plug as you said, valve at 2500 and SP at 5000.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 02:22:51 PM »
That’s great to know, thanks a lot Klaviator!

I will check the valves and spark plug as you said, valve at 2500 and SP at 5000.

I checked the valves every 2500 miles for a while, then went to 5000.  Then I went to every 7500.  After the first few checks you will get a feel for how often they need to be checked.  The one thing I don't cheat on is oil changes.  The first few are very important.  I think I changed it around 200, 600 and every 1200 after that.  I use Rotella T6 but I'm sure any quality oil will work fine. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()