Author Topic: Distracted riders.  (Read 961 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Distracted riders.
« on: April 30, 2018, 11:20:55 PM »
I wouldn't be too worried about getting hit by another inattentive scooter rider - except that I recently read on another scooter forum that a fellow was T-Boned by another scooter.

And,  the other day, at the Blessing of the Bikes I attended, the fellow riding the big Suzuki next to me told me that his friend was just taken off life-support after colliding with another bike. Just two bikes, riding together at no more than 35 MPH. Somehow they came together. No helmet.

Forums give a lot of attention to RAM mounts, cell phones, GPS, cup holders, intercoms, bluetooth.......

All I want is a mirror up near my forward line of vision, and a clean face shield on my helmet.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Distracted riders.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
I very nearly blended myself against another bike back in the days where I used to do hardcore commuting on the CBR1000. I was passing a long line of stationary traffic and another rider came out to do the same in front of me without checking their mirrors. Thankfully I wasn't going too quickly.

I've never been able to concentrate enough with any distractions. I once tried listening to music inside my helmet and it was horrendous for me. I did used to use a bluetooth thingy in my helmet for calling customers as I was arriving, but rarely when I wasn't stationary.

You need heightened awareness to ride a bike, and, in my opinion, that must mean you need less distractions.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:46:42 AM »
Situational Awareness, it's called. Fighter pilots cultivate it, so they can keep track of what's happening in an engagement.

My head is constantly on a swivel, mirrors, traffic, looking for an out if I need it, and no phone, music, or any other distraction is worth my life.

Case in point. One day, last week, coming home from work, I was the first vehicle in line as the light changed from green to yellow. The car behind me had been up underneath me the whole time, and I could clearly see the driver on his phone. As I watched the cross-lane light change to yellow and then red, I did what I always do: Look up the road to see if anyone is coming down the hill with the result of running the light. Sure enough, someone was coming. Never slowed. My lane's light changed, and the @$$hat behind me immediately laid on his horn as if that would make me go. I merely waited, and we both watched the guy in his new Camaro run the light at about 50 mph. I looked over my shoulder at the @$$hat, pointed to the car running the light, and he sheepishly waved. Had I gone out when the light had changed, I'd have been broadsided, and likely killed.

The thing that bugs me to no end, is the jerkwads who totally and blatantly ignore the speed limit. They're the reason we must be so vigilant.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 01:48:20 PM »
Evil, you darn near opened a can of worms with that post of some self-impor.....Stig gonna have to hold me down!! I just dream of what a suppository that guy's phone would be! Gotta stop! Not to mention the guy using the Birmingham 5 second rule on that traffic light. But you are right, our mission is to keep our head on a swivel and be a good example. Don't really need to install distractions.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
A State safe driving instructor gave us county employees who drive State vehicles a 2 hour talk.
"Count to 3 when light goes green before proceeding."
I lost points with my female coworker's by stating, "If I did that - the girl behind me in the F-150 would shove me half way through the intersection!"
Stig
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:03:30 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 08:02:03 AM »
Evil, you darn near opened a can of worms with that post of some self-impor.....Stig gonna have to hold me down!! I just dream of what a suppository that guy's phone would be! Gotta stop! Not to mention the guy using the Birmingham 5 second rule on that traffic light. But you are right, our mission is to keep our head on a swivel and be a good example. Don't really need to install distractions.

What's the Birmingham 5 second rule? In the UK that's about eating food off the floor :D

Is the US Birmingham as pretty as the UK one?
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »
 Ever notice how most "big bike" riders of the cruiser ilk are all done up in black?  Bike, leathers, helmets, gloves, chaps.  Everything black.  Used to be that way myself.  Didn't even think about being "invisible", just wanted to look cool.  Then after I moved South I got a white helmet so my brain wouldn't boil under that hot Bama sun.  And guess what?  NOW people can actually see me!  So, when my wife and I ordered our new Like 200's, we got them both in white.  Ought to help...
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »
What's the Birmingham 5 second rule? In the UK that's about eating food off the floor :D

Is the US Birmingham as pretty as the UK one?

B'ham, ALABAMA is pretty in its unique old southern way but not like England, the land of Spitfires, BSA and Morris Garage! The Birmingham 5 second Rule is if the traffic light has been red for 5 seconds or less, it is permissible to go through! This is based upon my observations while arriving and living there in 1977. No tellin' what it is like now....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
Ever notice how most "big bike" riders of the cruiser ilk are all done up in black?  Bike, leathers, helmets, gloves, chaps.  Everything black.  Used to be that way myself.  Didn't even think about being "invisible", just wanted to look cool.  Then after I moved South I got a white helmet so my brain wouldn't boil under that hot Bama sun.  And guess what?  NOW people can actually see me!  So, when my wife and I ordered our new Like 200's, we got them both in white.  Ought to help...

Where in Alabama are you?  I'm up in Huntsville.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »
Actually in TN near Bolivar. Will be scooting to Huntsville August 18,19 for ham radio gathering. Where ya want to meet?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
Actually in TN near Bolivar. Will be scooting to Huntsville August 18,19 for ham radio gathering. Where ya want to meet?

Might be out of town that weekend but if not there are plenty of places we can meet.  Get in touch sometime a few weeks before that weekend.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »
Where in Alabama are you?  I'm up in Huntsville.

I live in Florala, AL.  Right on the Florida line.  Moved here from Maine immediately after retirement and never looked back...  Just love it down here; the slow pace, the friendly people, everything.  AND we can ride year 'round!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:14:06 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 12:56:04 AM »
   I live in Florala, AL.  Right on the Florida line.  Moved here from Maine immediately after retirement and never looked back...  Just love it down here; the slow pace, the friendly people, everything.  AND we can ride year 'round!

I lived in Maine for 4 years before moving south.  That was about 17 years ago.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 01:18:08 AM »
I used to dump skydivers into the Florbama bar at sunset when we would fly boogies at Elberta, AL.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()