Author Topic: Fluid recommendations  (Read 756 times)

SixCat

• View Profile
Fluid recommendations
« on: May 03, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
Hello,
Just purchased a used 2015 Kymco Like 200i with just under 900 miles on it.  Previous owners took really good care of this scooter as the fluids looked really good.  When it's time to hit the 1200 mile mark, I will perform my first fluids change on it.  I like using synthetics in all my vehicles including my motorcycle so I was wondering if I can go full synth for the motor and the so called "diff" for this machine?  Thanks for reading.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Fluid recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 10:06:06 PM »
Hi bud,

The gearbox takes a special type of oil. But a 10w40 fully synth for motorcycle is fine in the engine!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »
Do you have a local scootet shop that you could talk scooter maintenance with?
Of course your owner's manual lists the minimum requirements for those fluids.
As an aircooled engine you'll want to meet those standards at least.
So many good oils out there - as long as you have the proper weight stuff, you should be fine.
I started on AMSOIL scooter specific oil for a few thousand miles
 But i change the oil so often (600-850 miles), I've been using Shell Rotella for the past couple of yrs.....a lot cheaper than AMSOIL. I use Honda Pro gear oil.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:17:03 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SixCat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 04:23:48 PM »
Thanks guys for all the replies.  Next question is now focused on the exhaust system.  Noticed that little "tiny" exhaust outlet which made me wonder if there are aftermarket slip on's that can let the little guy breath better.  Also looking  into washable air cleaners.  If my dad were around, he'd be saying, "leave things alone"  Me, I kinda like to make good things a little more efficient.  Any thoughts and recommendations to address air intake and exhaust mods?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 07:17:10 PM »
Thanks guys for all the replies.  Next question is now focused on the exhaust system.  Noticed that little "tiny" exhaust outlet which made me wonder if there are aftermarket slip on's that can let the little guy breath better.  Also looking  into washable air cleaners.  If my dad were around, he'd be saying, "leave things alone"  Me, I kinda like to make good things a little more efficient.  Any thoughts and recommendations to address air intake and exhaust mods?

Well, in dealing with the respiration of a 4 stroke - Pop might just be right.
But, I know better than to try convincing the new owner of a shiny, generic, "aftermarket performance" exhaust that he isn't going any faster. Not after all that money spent.
Surely louder equals power, yes?! (louder inhaling & exhaling)
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 12:16:15 AM »
Usually engineers have sweated out most of the details. The air box and exhaust and the engine work together to provide you the best compromise of performance, fuel economy, vehicle cost and emissions. They've measured the optimal lengths and turns to produce a supercharging effect at engine speeds you will most likely spend time in. If you start replacing components on your own, you're throwing out the work of the engineers right out the window.

Say for instance you did get an aftermarket exhaust. Then you'd hope the fuel computer can adapt so it doesn't run lean with annoying (or cool) backfires, and that the additional fueling makes up for potential loss of low or mid-range torque. If it doesn't, then you may need to figure out how to increase the fuel to the injectors. Once sorted out, it might work great on a race bike that gets the beans revved out of it. Will it work for your usage scenario?

Plus, with a loud exhaust you might just annoy your friends who ride behind you. I usually pack ear plugs for scooter and motorcycle rallies. It's no fun being that guy that people talk poorly about.

Or say you get a drop-in reusable filter or perhaps axe the air box completely and put one of those fancy cone filters. Is the filtration efficiency (read: not flow rate, but rather how much dirt can it capture) on par with the stock dry paper filter? What happens if you hit a puddle or encounter rain with the latter? I've had people pull over on rides to empty out their wet carburetors. Will it start and idle well? The stock intake is meant to increase turbulence and promote even mixing of air and fuel.

After those mods, you'll need to figure out what your new power band looks like and how to set up your CVT to stay in the sweet spot. Roller weights, contra springs and test runs. Better get an accurate tachometer; otherwise you will be fumbling in the dark.

Personally, I suggest a faster bike if the time comes where you need more oomph. Someone else isn't likely to pay you for the effort you've spent on souping up your bike.

Still, you may enjoy the allure of putting your personal touch on a bike.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:18:30 AM by robot_surgeon »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 07:41:07 AM »
Morning!

A good, cheap, non-destructive place to start is with the roller weights. Install a set of the Dr. Pulley sliders (or something similar) that's mentioned so many times on this forum, and see if that gets you the difference you're looking for. I think you'd be surprised.

I'd be loath to mess around with the bike too much. It's much harder to get right with fuel injected bikes.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()